U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 09:08 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,843,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I don't agree at all. Better, by a little, maybe, but not significantly better. He's doing things guys haven't done in decades:
He's doing what Kevin Garnett did, only not as good defensively.

03-04
24.2 PPG
13.9 RPG
5.0 APG
1.5 SPG
2.2 BPG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,053,686 times
Quote:
I don't agree at all. Better, by a little, maybe, but not significantly better. He's doing things guys haven't done in decades:

Tracking Trends: Is Kevin Love the frontrunner for MVP? - CBSSports.com
Love isn't in their class. And 10 games of above .500 ball doesn't hit him there either. Love is a compiler on a bad team... Lebron took a team that won under 20 games after he left to the finals. Love isn't close to these guys.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:24 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,243,964 times
Quote:

Tracking Trends: Is Kevin Love the frontrunner for MVP? - CBSSports.com
T-Wolves are 8-8 now with their best win probably being OKC without Westbrook, or Dallas with no Vince Carter and some new additions that have yet to get fully acclimated to their new team. They're looking like a very mediocre team.

Sports writers do this every year. There has been a lot of talk about Paul George being MVP too. I'm a Pacers fan and I love Paul George, but him getting MVP this year would be completely ridiculous. He's nowhere near the level of Durant and Lebron, and neither is Love. Love is a sieve on defense and has yet to even lead a team to a winning record. He's closer to Carmelo Anthony than he is Lebron or Durant.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
Larry Bird is and always will be one of the 10 greatest NBA players of all time.

There are many differences between eras but the greatest of players transcend all of them. If you can ball, you can ball... it really is that plain and simple.

People like to focus on the athletic freaks as if they have an advantage, but the argument can be flipped around entirely and the question can be asked if today's star player could have been as effective 30 years ago when the average player's IQ and skill level were significantly higher, there were fewer teams (talent less spread out), rules allowed for physicality on defense and disallowed "palming" of the ball... and so on.

Athleticism goes a very long way, but it never trumps skill. Skills only get sharper while athleticism only gets duller.

And for Bird, come on. You're talking a 6-foot-9 guy who could shoot the lights out, run the break, pass, rebound, etc.

Not to mention one of the most hardcore competitors in sports history.

And for the guy who said Bill Russell was 6-9 220 and that's a small forward today... realize Russell was 6-9 220 some 50 years ago. The human being has gotten bigger. Russell today, especially with supplementation and weight-training, would be closer to 6-10.5 and 255. Heck, Ben Wallace made a huge impact at around 6-9 240... and Russell was so much better.
If Ben Wallace is 6'9" I'm a hobbit from Middle Earth. More like 6'7" (tops) but his super long arms meant he played more like someone 6'10".

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 11-27-2013 at 12:22 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 AM

3,522 posts, read 3,922,967 times
Kevin Love better than LeBron...is that what I'm hearing right now?

The guy took a team with Mo Williams as the second option to the finals.

I mean, Kevin Love is good...but LeBron James is good, and he makes everyone else good.

I mean, if you can make Anderson Varejao look good...idk, just too funny to even suggest that.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:32 PM

2,869 posts, read 2,828,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post

I mean, Kevin Love is good...but LeBron James is good, and he makes everyone else good.

I mean, if you can make Anderson Varejao look good...idk, just too funny to even suggest that.
James was so good that he left the Cavs (his home team) to play with the 'Big Three'. Would James' have won a title without all the surrounding cast he's had around him the last couple years? Not likely. It wasn't even his shot that got them the title last year (that was Allen getting them to the finals). Durrant has Westbrook and even Harden for a while.

Am I saying Love is better than either of them? No. But Love is without question one of the elite forwards in the world ATM.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post

Mo Williams wasn't on the 2007 Cavs squad. But, your point is taken that they were marginally talented compared to other finals teams.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:53 AM

411 posts, read 770,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
If Ben Wallace is 6'9" I'm a hobbit from Middle Earth. More like 6'7" (tops) but his super long arms meant he played more like someone 6'10".
Ben Wallace was 6'9. you are a hobbit.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
Ben Wallace was 6'9. you are a hobbit.
You must know something he doesn't, because he said himself that he is 6'7".

Old 12-02-2013, 10:05 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,053,686 times
Quote:
James was so good that he left the Cavs (his home team) to play with the 'Big Three'. Would James' have won a title without all the surrounding cast he's had around him the last couple years? Not likely. It wasn't even his shot that got them the title last year (that was Allen getting them to the finals). Durrant has Westbrook and even Harden for a while.

Am I saying Love is better than either of them? No. But Love is without question one of the elite forwards in the world ATM.
He took that team to the finals and won over 50 games. Love has played for with a lot better supporting cast and his teams have done a lot worse. I mean you are trying to compare Love favorably to Lebron was saying that Lebron couldn't carry that team to win a championship(but he got there) when Love hasn't even gotton the Twolves to the playoffs. Doesn't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or