U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:06 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,191,392 times

Advertisements

Yes, of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 04:04 PM

2,869 posts, read 2,830,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
He took that team to the finals and won over 50 games. Love has played for with a lot better supporting cast and his teams have done a lot worse. I mean you are trying to compare Love favorably to Lebron was saying that Lebron couldn't carry that team to win a championship(but he got there) when Love hasn't even gotton the Twolves to the playoffs. Doesn't make any sense.
The Wolves lost more man games to injury than any other team last year and the year before. And our starters have never been remotely great during Love's tenure here. Please.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:46 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,060,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Without question. Love is the best there is today at his spot and Bird would still be better than him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Bird was a small forward, Love is a power forward.

Or do you mean the tall white American guy spot?
Quote:
Bird played both. Bird and Love are about the same height as well (6'-9" - 6'10"). And yeah, they are both Caucasian. But former MVP Dirk would also have probably gotten owned by Bird, or at least been even with him (since we're on the subject of greatest ever white Fs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Well, Bird's primary position was small forward, and if that's what you mean then Love is definitely not the best at that spot. Lebron and Durant are a lot better than Love.
Quote:
I don't agree at all. Better, by a little, maybe, but not significantly better. He's doing things guys haven't done in decades:

Tracking Trends: Is Kevin Love the frontrunner for MVP? - CBSSports.com
Quote:
The Wolves lost more man games to injury than any other team last year and the year before. And our starters have never been remotely great during Love's tenure here. Please.
Stick to backtracking. Love hasn't led a team to the playoffs, let alone lead a team(and a terrible team at that) to the finals, and you are killing Lebron for not winning a title in Cleveland? At least you have a sense of humor. Love is still swimming in the kiddie pool, and this thread is talking about the big boys. Perhaps another thread is better to discuss Kevin Love.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Stick to backtracking. Love hasn't led a team to the playoffs, let alone lead a team(and a terrible team at that) to the finals, and you are killing Lebron for not winning a title in Cleveland? At least you have a sense of humor. Love is still swimming in the kiddie pool, and this thread is talking about the big boys. Perhaps another thread is better to discuss Kevin Love.
For the third (or fourth or fifith) time, I never said Love was better than James or Durant. What I did say is he is in their league. He is no doubt the best PF in the game today.

15 best power forwards in the NBA for 2013-14 season

Don't get it twisted.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,615 times
kevin vove must go to playoffs if want become elite player...

Old 12-31-2013, 05:58 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,052,167 times
What is it about Minn that robs guys KLove and KG? The Wolves seem like they need a better Robin to Love's Batman. Rubio isn't a good 2nd option at 8ppg (34%). Kevin Martin isn't Robin either. Most good teams nowadays have at least 2 superstars and sometimes 3 (Heat, Thunder, Celtics a few years ago).

Look at it this way....remove Love from the Wolves and they are the worst team in the NBA. Remove Lebron from the Heat and they probably win 45 games led by Wade and Bosh.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What is it about Minn that robs guys KLove and KG? The Wolves seem like they need a better Robin to Love's Batman. Rubio isn't a good 2nd option at 8ppg (34%). Kevin Martin isn't Robin either. Most good teams nowadays have at least 2 superstars and sometimes 3 (Heat, Thunder, Celtics a few years ago).

Look at it this way....remove Love from the Wolves and they are the worst team in the NBA. Remove Lebron from the Heat and they probably win 45 games led by Wade and Bosh.
It's always been that way. KG did get us to conference finals once and the Big Three were serviceable for a stretch of years but I'm dumbfounded by the current roster and its inability to have the extra 5-7 wins it should have versus losses we have currently. Love still has a couple years left on his contract after this year and Rubio has four, as does Pec, so even just a post season appearance this year would be a good starting point to see what we might be able to do in the next couple.

They need to start winning some of these down-to-the-wire games - I believe they can string some of them together and get back into 6-8 position in the West.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 AM

3,190 posts, read 6,346,910 times
I remember reading Jayson Williams's "Loose Balls" (yes, that the same Jayson Williams who shot his chauffeur).

From my memory of reading the book......Williams accounted how he, as a rookie, defended Bird, and thought, 'yeah, slow, white dude, I can take him'! Well, Bird give Williams this stupid head fake, which has Williams flying through the air! Williams comes down, and Bird makes contact and completes the and-one! From then on, Williams acknowledged Bird as the real deal!

I've seen Bird play his whole career! I remember the '79 Celtics. Them cats were bad! I mean 'not good' bad! The went from 29 wins that year to NBA Champs in two years! Everyone knows about his passing and shooting....automatic! But what impressed me about Bird was him being a great rebounder at the 3! Did he 'cheat' on defense, with his lack of speed? Yes, he did! So did Magic! Both of them did not have great defensive footspeed, but here's the deal: The rules these days allowing some zone would've helped both of them a lot, if they played in this era!

Any man who leads his crew to three titles can play in any era! I would suggest taking a look at 1) the '84 Finals; and 2) the Celts entire '86 season!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:06 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,849,797 times
Quote:

Ricky Rubio is comparable to John Stockton was in his third year (though Stockton was still better because he played less minutes), although I agree, Rubio needs to score more.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:31 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,245,671 times
Quote:

2010-2011 Love played 73 games and the T-Wolves won 17 games. 2011-2012 Love played 55 games and the T-Wolves won 26 games. 2012-2013 Love played 18 games and they won 31.

Remove Lebron from the Cavs and they went from 61 wins to 19 wins.

Garnett won 50+ games 4 times in Minnesota with crap teams.

When is Love going to start impacting the win/loss column like Garnett and Lebron?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or