U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:51 PM

247 posts, read 222,875 times

Advertisements

Pretty simple question. Which players do you love to watch on defense no matter what position they play? Doesn't matter if they're big names in the NBA, just name 'em and tell why you like them(you don't have to if you don't want to). They also have to be active too.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Shawn Marion - Versatile enough to guard all positions. Which is probably why his nickname is The Matrix. To me, I think Marion is the main reason LeBron played like poo in this past Finals.

Tony Allen - Just watching him harass Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Dwayne Wade, and Paul Pierce on defense is just awesome.

Jason Kidd - Been known around the NBA as a very crafty defender. He'll make you force turnovers. In this past Finals, he did a good job guarding James and Wade.

Dwight Howard - Well, Dwight Howard is Dwight Howard. The dude can have a block party every game.

Kevin Garnett - Garnett will always be Garnett. He goes Super Saiyan every time he makes a great defensive play. Gotta love him.

Serge Ibaka - During OKC's Playoff run facing MEM, Sir Chewbacca or Serge I-blocka was blocking everything. Still young, but he'll definitely progress as the years pass.

Kendrick Perkins - Now, as a Celtics fan I am past the drama that unfolded when this beast was traded. Yes, it was a BIG loss. He'll be remembered as one of the Beast of the East. Certainly gave Dwight Howard problems.

James Posey - What I love about him is that he fouls after the play is over. Bad, yes. But his defensive skills and long arse arms are quite a factor when he guarding players. He's got two rings to prove it.

Tyson Chandler - Key factor on defense during Dallas' Playoff run and Finals win.

Rajon Rondo - On defense, he's like a little pest. Ex:

‪Rondo's Funny Defense on Lebron James‬‏ - YouTube

I just find pleasure in watching players play defense. It's just as important as offense. But obviously offense is more important.

Last edited by Some1Azn; 07-16-2011 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,362,931 times
Lu Deng can be a lot of fun to watch on that end of the floor. Granted LBJ cut him up at points in the ECF, but against any other player in the league he gets the job done.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:15 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,880,681 times
Tony Allen has to be more to my liking. He gets up close...real close and is annoying at times...lol....the other player would be Shane Battier. He gets up close but likes to stick his arm between a player's shooting arms when they in a shooting motion. Basically, trying to not block a shot, but block their line of sight or view of the basket...he is also good at fighting through screens to stay with his man.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:26 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,906 times
Currently, probably Garnett. I love the way he quarterbacks the Celtics defense, not quite to the level of a few years ago, just fun to watch. All-time....Scottie Pippen. There's a youtube video called 'Scottie Pippen-Ultimate Defender', the guy made playing perimeter defense actually look fun.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:09 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,362,931 times
Yeah, Pippen was blessed with not only the talent on D, but he was that perfect mid-size with long arms combo that seems to be a must for an all-time elite defender. His vesatility is what made his so good on that end of the floor.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,195,031 times
Timmy D! nuff said
i also enjoy shane battiers style of in your face defense. literally hand in your face!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,470,972 times
The guy I'm about to mention isnt a great defender, but Tyronn Lue played one of the best stretches of ball denial against Allen Iverson in the 2001 Finals...it was only for a brief period of time it always stayed with me because I'd never seen ANYONE up to that period who could stick with Iverson like that...but Lue did it...sadly it didnt last, Iverson eventually took him to the cleaners, culminating with the infamous "stepover" moment...

Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,880,681 times
Ok. I didn't pay attention to thread as close as i should have. For some reason, i thought the OP meant current players....

I would have to add XMan...the guy was pretty intense. Others would be Pippen, Olajuwon, and Jordan.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:29 AM

7,730 posts, read 6,139,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Yeah, Pippen was blessed with not only the talent on D, but he was that perfect mid-size with long arms combo that seems to be a must for an all-time elite defender. His vesatility is what made his so good on that end of the floor.
That's what happens when ur playing against the G.O.A.T. at practice everyday.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:23 PM

51,912 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Yeah, having watched hundreds of Bulls games with Pippen-Jordan over the years it was always funny watching them put a little pressure on the ball or step into a passing lane and within a few seconds after <dunk> at the other end.

It wasn't just the steals but how they were pretty much automatic 2points the other way type plays.

If people ever watched the original dream team you saw A LOT of that.

With Lebron lacking an effective post game I would *love* to see Pippen in his prime guard Lebron. I personally consider Pippen the best defense 3 of all time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball