U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:22 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,899,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Jordan would do it just because people say he can't. And his fadeaway is still prettier than Kobe's.
to both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:39 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,928,330 times
He would get smoked and embarrassed. Basketball requires excessive speed, agility and jumping ability. When those skills dissipate embarrassment follows suit. I compare it to my current situation. Those young kids are running by me like I am standing still. On top of that my leaping ability has vanquished. Another point, last week Jordan dunked for cameras. Yes it looked nice, especially for 48 year old?, but it looked alot slower...alot! His jump looked like a B-52 take off...your watching and thinking...I don't know. There was no instant spring. Watch the film.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:03 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,236,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
He would get smoked and embarrassed. Basketball requires excessive speed, agility and jumping ability. When those skills dissipate embarrassment follows suit. I compare it to my current situation. Those young kids are running by me like I am standing still. On top of that my leaping ability has vanquished. Another point, last week Jordan dunked for cameras. Yes it looked nice, especially for 48 year old?, but it looked alot slower...alot! His jump looked like a B-52 take off...your watching and thinking...I don't know. There was no instant spring. Watch the film.
It's one thing being in-shape and another being in game shape. If he was making a serious push to play, i'm sure he would be in better shape than right now.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:16 AM

7,793 posts, read 6,226,970 times
Watching him play against the Bobcats during practice, and playing the slamball guy, it seems like its still almost impossible to stop him. what ever age has taken away from him, im 100% sure he will more than make up for it with his sheer will.... That's why he's the greatest of all time.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:37 AM

13,300 posts, read 10,554,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Why, Jordan given his stature isn't around the game nearly as much as other known Basketball personalities. Or do you mean 'go away' as far as thinking about returning as a player? Sounds like you got a little beef with him... you a Knicks or Cavs fan?
No, neither I'm just looking at a man that is (arguemently) the best basketball player ever to play in his prime. I just would hate to see his dimishing skills be exploited by some of the up and coming players. I remember when Iverson almost "broke jordan's ankles" with a crossover. I know there are alot of youngs guns that can't wait to "posterize" him also. It kind of reminds me of when Ali came back after his prime and was embarrassed.

Besides, he will not be the same explosive player thatr he once was. I think that he is still a smart player and proably could teach the younger players some things but to be able to run the court day in and out.....nope I don't think so. That being the case (smart players) why not bring back Larry Bird? I think Reggie can still shoot treys, and Kareem hook shot could make a difference and is still hard to defend. Lets call it the GBA, Geriatric Basketball League

Last edited by simetime; 07-25-2011 at 08:46 AM..

Old 07-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
No, neither I'm just looking at a man that is (arguemently) the best basketball player ever to play in his prime. I just would hate to see his dimishing skills be exploited by some of the up and coming players. I remember when Iverson almost "broke jordan's ankles" with a crossover. I know there are alot of youngs guns that can't wait to "posterize" him also. It kind of reminds me of when Ali came back after his prime and was embarrassed.

Besides, he will not be the same explosive player thatr he once was. I think that he is still a smart player and proably could teach the younger players some things but to be able to run the court day in and out.....nope I don't think so. That being the case (smart players) why not bring back Larry Bird? I think Reggie can still shoot treys, and Kareem hook shot could make a difference and is still hard to defend. Lets call it the GBA, Geriatric Basketball League
The biggest issue would be his ability to keep up with the explosive perimeter players defensively. I'm pretty sure he could get that fadeaway off against the average guard/forward. But we're not talking a big role on a team, we're talking being effective in a 10-12 role off the bench. And yes, I'm sure Michael Jordan, even at 47, would be capable of doing that if he was in proper game shape.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 AM

13,300 posts, read 10,554,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The biggest issue would be his ability to keep up with the explosive perimeter players defensively. I'm pretty sure he could get that fadeaway off against the average guard/forward. But we're not talking a big role on a team, we're talking being effective in a 10-12 role off the bench. And yes, I'm sure Michael Jordan, even at 47, would be capable of doing that if he was in proper game shape.
How would his ego be affected being a bench player

Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
How would his ego be affected being a bench player

That's the other issue...

Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 AM

52,338 posts, read 42,108,502 times
I can see him playing a couple minutes here and there effectively, especially as an offensive shooting threat to spread the court.

I play pick up ball and we have a 55yo guy that plays with us that is just money if left open. Forces you to stick with him, absolutely cannot leave him to help out which is exactly how the Bulls used to use a guy named Steve Kerr.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,022,686 times
Jordan shoots better than most players in the NBA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or