U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,193,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I've been trying to recall the longest time between a player's retirement and a comeback in the history of sports. I'm old (60) so I can go back a ways. There was a Reds pitcher, Jose Rijo, who made a comeback maybe ten years ago. When he made his comeback he had the distinction of being the only player to play in the Major Leagues who had received Hall of Fame votes before again becoming an active player. So, another words, he had retired for at least five years before his comeback.

I remember Bob Cousy playing for the Cincinnati Royals as a player/coach in the 69-70 season. Before that, he had last played in the 62-63 season for the Celtics. During the 69-70 season he looked like a chubby, short guy who would look more in place shooting baskets in the driveway with his high school son. During the 69-70 season, the rare times Cousy put himself into games was when he was completely frustrated by his team's execution. He sucked, by the way, and the comeback could be summed up as a big mistake.

Bottom line is, Jordan really ought to stay retired. So should Bret Farve, come to think of it.
i would have to guess george foreman, that was 10 years but dang 20 from relevance to relevance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM

13,300 posts, read 10,490,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, we shall just have to wait and see.
THAT Sir, we can agree on

Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 AM

3,848 posts, read 3,967,778 times
This is a hilarious notion. Does no one remember how bad Jordan was with the Wizards when he was 40? He couldn't guard anyone, he could only point, his feet didn't allow him to guard anyone out on the floor.

And his offense was 90% 18 foot jumpers. On top of that, he was a major distraction to the young players who wanted to admire him, but ended up hating him.

He's done folks, he'll just be a bad GM from here on out.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 AM

51,887 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
This is a hilarious notion. Does no one remember how bad Jordan was with the Wizards when he was 40? He couldn't guard anyone, he could only point, his feet didn't allow him to guard anyone out on the floor.

And his offense was 90% 18 foot jumpers. On top of that, he was a major distraction to the young players who wanted to admire him, but ended up hating him.

He's done folks, he'll just be a bad GM from here on out.
Whatever he does it's indicative of his drive and ego\personality to consider it. (good idea or not.)

People forget that what made Jordan (and many others in sport, business etc.) great is a burning desire and monsterous ego bordering on psychotic. Einstein used to get lost walking home due to being deep in thought.

Historically, his passion and drive are what have gotten MJ in trouble. He is a notoriously easy mark for golf hustlers, pro-gamblers etc. Ironic that his greatest strength is also his greatest weakness.

Heck, look at Larry Birds trash talking examples...the passion, the ego, under the wiki link here.... I love his comments to Reggie Miller.

Larry Bird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-29-2011, 04:56 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,915,214 times
"back to NE"...Thanks! I am truly shocked this thread has produced anything. It proves that we loved his passion, even at 40, and wished to see more. Reality is, he will embarrass himself. And, I am one of the few who thought his return at 40 was pretty amazing, especially considering the crappy team...but 50...thats pushing it.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:29 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,517,457 times
As ridiculous as the notion of Jordan returning to play at age 50 is, you can bet that the moment he takes one step in the direction of turning the talk into reality, the media will be fawning all over him in a nanosecond.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:35 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
And, I am one of the few who thought his return at 40 was pretty amazing
Looking at the big picture it was. 3 years retired from the game, a surgically repaired shooting hand, and tendinitis in both knees. No the Wizards didn't go anywhere those two seasons, but on an individual level I can't see how one could expect more than what he did. The guy was averaging 20+ points, 5+ rebounds, 4+ assists at 39-40 years old with an entire new generation of well-established stars at that point( Shaq, Duncan, Dirk, Kobe, Pierce, Tmac, Garnett etc).

Old 08-04-2011, 12:23 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,412,488 times
I think there is a 0% chance he would come back....

Old 08-10-2011, 11:55 PM

7,728 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Even if he came back at 50, I still find it difficult to believe that he'll embarassed himself. His fadeaway alone is almost impossible to stop even at 48.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM

51,887 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Maybe he will go play in Europe for a season with the other NBA players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or