U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:02 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,706,679 times

Advertisements

So 'fess up, what college (or foreign) player did you think would be an NBA star but turned out to be a bust or at best a mediocre player? Where did you go wrong in your analysis, like what weakness in their game did you overlook or what strength did you overestimate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 02:38 PM

First one that comes to my mind for me = Chris Jackson.

To me he looked like Isiah with a way better jumper. Dude could finish at the rim, he had the nastiest crossover to jumper I'd ever seen and the range on it easily went out to 23 feet. There were a few games I saw that just left me floored, especially the one where he had ten 3 pointers from anywhere he wanted (Arkansas or Tennessee I forget) I was sure he'd be a 25 ppg NBA player.

His biggest weaknesses were defense and inconsistent decision making as a point guard, but again I saw the same things in Isiah Thomas and he flourished in the NBA.

Of course he went on to have some okay seasons and became a general wacko asshat but wow was I off on that call. The epitome of my stupidity is I remember laughing that Seattle picked Gary Payton ahead of him.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:41 PM

Hah! Found one of the games in question, vs. TN:

‪LSU vs. Tennessee - Basketball Highlights‬‏ - YouTube

Sickness.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 AM

51,897 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
So 'fess up, what college (or foreign) player did you think would be an NBA star but turned out to be a bust or at best a mediocre player? Where did you go wrong in your analysis, like what weakness in their game did you overlook or what strength did you overestimate?
I've had a few in different directions but I started following the NBA heavily around 1992 or so and I'm not a big college fan so I rarely had high expectations and didn't buy into hype unless I had solid reason to do so. (Lebron would be a clear example)

Underestimated: Chris Heinrich. He was more athletic than I thought, I felt he was somewhat over-rated and I was wrong.

Overestimated: Robert (tractor) Traylor - conditioning issues, Derrick Coleman - could have been one of NBA top 50 players IMO....did just enough to get by.

Both of these guys lead me to hate my Bulls drafting Eddie Curry, and then laughed my BUTT off when the hated Knicks picked him up. That pretty much sums up how well the Knicks have been run for the last 10+ years

Old 08-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Derrick Coleman
Speaking of DC, another guy I thought would be have a great NBA career was Billy Owens.

Great handles for a big forward, could finish left or right, nice passer, etc. but aside from a couple of okay seasons he was a bust.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,945,259 times
The only guy I underestimated was Carlos Boozer. I thought he would be cut after being drafted due to his limited game at Duke. As for overestimating, I have never done that.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 AM

I was pretty skeptical on Boozer too, he was a center at Duke and I didn't know that he could make the transition to forward in the NBA especially since he didn't have the length/athleticism of Elton Brand.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,178,709 times
I think some of the Duke guys, Christian Laetner, bobby hurley (what happened to him?), grant hill.

Hill has had a great career, but its not like he's a scottie pippen or karl malone. If you had told someone in 1991 or 92, that none of the duke players would win an nba championship ring, I dont think they would have believed you.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:25 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
Grant Hill was everything he was hyped to be coming into the NBA, until the ankle injury in 2000. I honestly feel we were robbed of a potential all-time great career there, same with Penny Hardaway.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 PM

Yeah Hill had some years where he was both an unstoppable offensive player and the one of the better defenders in the game. Its nice to see him having some quality minutes and producing in the twilight of his career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball