U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 06:21 PM

3,513 posts, read 3,252,295 times

Advertisements

Hunter Would Wager On Cancellation Of 11 12 Season - RealGM Wiretap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 AM

52,114 posts, read 41,937,212 times
I hope that is posturing.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:10 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,910,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I hope that is posturing.
I think so too, but i'm not optimistic about the season. The lockout happened on July 1st and it wasn't until last week(Aug 1st) that both sides met for the 2nd time and they're still 800 million $ apart. If they keep meeting once a month, it is gonna be bye bye to NBA season. What needs to happen is that when they meet again in some posh hotel, someone needs to put them in a huge conference room and locked it until they come out with an agreement. Otherwise, the keys to the room will be thrown away!

Old 08-07-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I think so too, but i'm not optimistic about the season. The lockout happened on July 1st and it wasn't until last week(Aug 1st) that both sides met for the 2nd time and they're still 800 million $ apart. If they keep meeting once a month, it is gonna be bye bye to NBA season. What needs to happen is that when they meet again in some posh hotel, someone needs to put them in a huge conference room and locked it until they come out with an agreement. Otherwise, the keys to the room will be thrown away!
Yeah. That was the best NBA season I've seen in over a decade. That much excitement, the story lines involving Miami....Rose emerging in Chicago....Dallas finally winning and what looks to be a changing of the guard from the dominant teams of the last 10 years.

It just seriously bums me out.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:38 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,764,456 times
This is going to harder to resolve than the nfl lockout.

The owners are dug in----it is more profitable for the majority of them not to play.

Season looks like adios---sayanara---toast.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
This is going to harder to resolve than the nfl lockout.

The owners are dug in----it is more profitable for the majority of them not to play.
Season looks like adios---sayanara---toast.
From what I've heard, this is the case. The players don't seem to be too smart on this one with the owners as a whole not doing so great financially.

They may be just posturing up until the 11th hour and will then fold on the revenue %.

For arguments sake let's assume the owners are breaking even as a group after all expenses etc. Meanwhile the players are getting something like 58% of the revenue so they are making "huge profits" if you want to look at it like that. Makes it pretty clear on who is going to get hurt the most.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:34 AM

3,513 posts, read 3,252,295 times
the players dont believe the owners books. stern saying 24 of the teams lost money. players got inside people saying its more like 10-12 teams.

the nfl players have to cave because they cant go anywhere else and play football.

nba players can just go to europe. wade's got a 2 mill month offer from a chinese team on the table.

many of these european/asian teams will shell out big bucks for top flight nba talent

Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
the players dont believe the owners books. stern saying 24 of the teams lost money. players got inside people saying its more like 10-12 teams.

the nfl players have to cave because they cant go anywhere else and play football.

nba players can just go to europe. wade's got a 2 mill month offer from a chinese team on the table.

many of these european/asian teams will shell out big bucks for top flight nba talent
Yeah, but it's a UNION and 80% of the guys aren't going to be able to make money playing overseas and the ones that do will make a FRACTION of their pay. Endorsement deals will also likely suffer but there could be some offset.

Almost all foreign leagues have restrictions on the number of foreign players on a roster. 2 guys is what I typically hear.
So, the big NBA stars going to play overseas are screwing some D-league level guy from earning his paycheck.

Sorry, but that pi$$es me off that the NBA guys can't squeeze out a deal and will instead go scab jobs away from guys that make less a year than they make a game....leaving the majority of the NBA players jobless altogether. Basically, the richest players in the league are going to do ok...screw the rest. Nice Union.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:03 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,580,329 times
This is the NBA showing its players who's boss. The outcome can't be in much doubt, and unfortunately the fans of the game aren't invited to the party.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
This is the NBA showing its players who's boss. The outcome can't be in much doubt, and unfortunately the fans of the game aren't invited to the party.
Yeah, it really doesn't matter if it's 12,15 or 20 of the 30ish teams that are losing money....clearly the owners have less to lose than the players whom are getting 58% of the revenue or roughly 2.1 BILLION dollars annually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or