U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,159,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Is this the point where I can say Sam Bowie?

Not trying to prove a point either way, just can I say it?

Sam Bowie.
Hey, if Bill Walton and Greg Oden are mentioned in the thread discussing injuries, Sam Bowie HAS to be mentioned too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 PM

7,836 posts, read 19,589,048 times
I am probably the only fan thats wants the NBA to cancel the season, the milwaukee bucks are so beat up and losing so much money I actually think it would do them some good. Andrew Bogut needs another to rest up after he broke his arm like this
Andrew Bogut Elbow Injury 4/3/10 - YouTube

Old 10-05-2011, 07:48 AM

18,794 posts, read 14,290,500 times
I found this article pretty fascinating about 7 footers:
(sorrry this forum not only seems to bar me from making clickable links, it adds in the annoying tags no matter what I try)
FOR THE 7-FOOT SET, PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL PROVIDES MORE - 07.04.11 - SI Vault

Quote:
: An actual accounting of 7-footers, domestic or global, does not exist in any reliable form. National surveys by the Center for Disease Control list no head count or percentile at that height. (Only 5% of adult American males are 6'3" or taller.) "In terms of the growth spectrum, 7 feet is simply extreme," explains endocrinologist Shlomo Melmed, dean of the medical faculty at L.A.'s Cedars-Sinai Medical Center... The term 7-footer is itself a kind of outer limit, a far-off threshold beyond which precise measurement seems superfluous. A 6'4" guard isn't a 6-footer, after all. The curve shaped by the CDC's available statistics, however, does allow one to estimate the number of American men between the ages of 20 and 40 who are 7 feet or taller: fewer than 70 in all. Which indicates, by further extrapolation, that while the probability of, say, an American between 6'6" and 6'8" being an NBA player today stands at a mere 0.07%, it's a staggering 17% for someone 7 feet or taller.
So if you are 7 foot tall, your chance of making in to the NBA is about 1 in 6--pretty amazing if you ask me, considering that there are only 600 or so NBA players active at any given time.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,159,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I found this article pretty fascinating about 7 footers:
(sorrry this forum not only seems to bar me from making clickable links, it adds in the annoying tags no matter what I try)
FOR THE 7-FOOT SET, PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL PROVIDES MORE - 07.04.11 - SI Vault

So if you are 7 foot tall, your chance of making in to the NBA is about 1 in 6--pretty amazing if you ask me, considering that there are only 600 or so NBA players active at any given time.
I've actually met two guys in my life who were not basketball players but were probably 7 feet tall (or at the very least they were very, very close). Both of those guys made me feel short, and I'm 6'3". The one guy, who was not athletic or coordinated at all, I met when I was a college freshman and he was a senior. The other guy I met/interacted with in transportation circles when I lived in Harrisburg.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:51 AM

366 posts, read 675,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Moses Malone, and Robert Parish were able to play in the NBA for 21 years each.

But you look at today's big men, many of them can't stay healthy:

Yao Ming only played 9 seasons but in reality it was more like 6 or 7 seasons with all those leg injuries.

Andrew Bynum's knees started to blow out when he started playing heavy minutes for the Lakers.

Greg Oden: Goog god! Hasn't even played a full season's worth of games.

Why is it that big men aren't as durable as they use to be? Hell when Parish, Malone and Kareem played, the NBA was much more physical.
1) most of the old timers played 3 or 4 years of college ball allowing their bodies to mature as well as their on-the-court play, 2) the NBA preseason/season wasn't as long as it is today, and 3) the NBA game is a much faster game than it was during yesteryear. All of these factors affect any player's durability in the NBA.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,827,498 times
My college professor who has a phd told the whole class that a human body is not meant to be that tall, such as being a 7 footer, the frame is not supposed to support that much height. thats what he said, and moved on.

I met a 7'3 guy that was 22 years old in a bus stop, and he told me his life is a living hell, he has back problems, and did many back surgeries before. im only 5'6, he was so huge it was unbelievable.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:35 AM

417 posts, read 310,881 times
Bigger they are, the harder they fall. This is true physically and mechanically for much taller men, average height of most men on earth falls between 5'8-6'2. The taller you are, means more bone density, more energy exertion, etc. Some of the largest men to ever live (over 8 feet) did not live very long because their bodies couldn't handle it.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:57 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,904,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
1) most of the old timers played 3 or 4 years of college ball allowing their bodies to mature as well as their on-the-court play, 2) the NBA preseason/season wasn't as long as it is today, and 3) the NBA game is a much faster game than it was during yesteryear. All of these factors affect any player's durability in the NBA.
Good points.

I also believe that today's players aren't just exposed to more physicality, but the watching eye of billions of fans - today's technology allows us to follow each and every one of these guys. There were a lot of guys that didn't make it because of health issues, but we never heard about them.

It just wasn't that way back in the 70s and 80s.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:53 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,196,468 times
I'm sorry but Oden is in a class all his own. Since joining the league he has barely played and word is that he is injured again now and wont come back earlier than late January if at all. I give the Blazers alot of credit with their loyalty but for the money Oden has been paid all these years, i'd at least have him do something for those $$$'s. Maybe he can rip tickets at the gate. At least he will be doing something for the money instead of staying home or riding the pine.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:08 PM

10,432 posts, read 12,439,655 times
I think Dwight Howard is the only active 25+yo player over 6'9 who never had a serious injury.
He only missed 7 games (3 in 08/09 and 4 in 10/11) in his 7 year NBA career!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or