U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:06 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,606,154 times

Advertisements

Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Moses Malone, and Robert Parish were able to play in the NBA for 21 years each.

But you look at today's big men, many of them can't stay healthy:

Yao Ming only played 9 seasons but in reality it was more like 6 or 7 seasons with all those leg injuries.

Andrew Bynum's knees started to blow out when he started playing heavy minutes for the Lakers.

Greg Oden: Goog god! Hasn't even played a full season's worth of games.

Why is it that big men aren't as durable as they use to be? Hell when Parish, Malone and Kareem played, the NBA was much more physical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,366,736 times
What about Shaq or Tim Duncan?

I'm sure you could pick out big men who had wasted potential from injury in any era.

Are you suggesting that guys were "tougher" back then?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
What about Shaq or Tim Duncan?

I'm sure you could pick out big men who had wasted potential from injury in any era.

Are you suggesting that guys were "tougher" back then?
Those three guys played in the league for 21 years each. And also even Shaq and Duncan had there fair share of injuries.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 AM

51,993 posts, read 41,835,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Those three guys played in the league for 21 years each. And also even Shaq and Duncan had there fair share of injuries.
The three you mentioned were shadows of their former selves later in their career.

In order to make a fairer comparison you need to look at more centers and not cherry pick your data. (Bill Walton?)

One thing you should notice is that the game got more physical over the years which means beefier centers carrying more weight on already large frames. The 3 guys you cherry picked were pretty lean.

In recent times you had guys like Rodman, Ben Wallace and others but I'm not going to do all the digging for you.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:35 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,160,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The three you mentioned were shadows of their former selves later in their career.

In order to make a fairer comparison you need to look at more centers and not cherry pick your data. (Bill Walton?)

One thing you should notice is that the game got more physical over the years which means beefier centers carrying more weight on already large frames. The 3 guys you cherry picked were pretty lean.

In recent times you had guys like Rodman, Ben Wallace and others but I'm not going to do all the digging for you.

The game was more physical in the 80s and 90s. WAY more physical.

Back to the OP, humans are not meant to be that big. Some are more durable than others, but a guy that's seven feet tall is going to have injuries and health issues later on in life.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,182,400 times
It's probably a combination of things...

-Guys now trying to do too much too soon, ie. bynum. Too much pressure to be a star too soon? Too much money? Tempting you to do things you shouldn't do.

I think the pressure is somewhat analogous to football. I remember an HBO Real sports segment about 300 lb lineman. Their numbers have exploded in the last 30 years. From a few to hundreds.

With basketball, the pressure is million dollar contracts, endorsements, etc. It translates to putting your body through things it shouldn't, taking more chances, etc. Or simply not being ready. Look how the league has been diluted.

-I looked up mark eaton's numbers, he played 10 seasons of 80-82 games! Similar with laimbeer, he played 13 seasons...79-82 games.

Maybe there is too much money now to put your body on the line for 20 years. I wonder if you'll see a guy like parish again, playing 21 seasons. Maybe the incentives aren't there.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,882,339 times
The game is more physical, and today's athletes are considerably bigger. Have you seen Bynum? It's no surprise he's having chronic lower body issues, that's alot of muscle and weight jumping up and down.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:22 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,439,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
But you look at today's big men, many of them can't stay healthy
The same was true back then. Bill Walton is the posterchild for the injury-prone center. Have you ever noticed how many big men have foot problems? Walton, Ilgauskas, Bill Cartwright, Kevin McHale, Yao,

Old 09-09-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
The same was true back then. Bill Walton is the posterchild for the injury-prone center. Have you ever noticed how many big men have foot problems? Walton, Ilgauskas, Bill Cartwright, Kevin McHale, Yao,
But Ilgauskas, Cartwright and Mchale played at least for a decade. Yao didn't even last that long.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 AM

3,961 posts, read 2,514,160 times
Is this the point where I can say Sam Bowie?

Not trying to prove a point either way, just can I say it?

Sam Bowie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or