U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:22 PM

1,693 posts, read 2,479,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Reply in italics.
Agree with you...although there ARE point guards who were also their team's primary option; Isaiah, and Kevin Johnson (prior to Barkley getting to Phoenix)...the critical factor is the ability of the point to distinguish between when it's his time to step up and score, or sit back and set up his teammates, Isaiah was the very best at that in my opinion, while Lebron might be one of the worst, along with Russell Westbrook but for opposite reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 03:32 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,887,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Agree with you...although there ARE point guards who were also their team's primary option; Isaiah, and Kevin Johnson (prior to Barkley getting to Phoenix)...the critical factor is the ability of the point to distinguish between when it's his time to step up and score, or sit back and set up his teammates
Yeah there's a few examples, throw Gary Payton into that list of names as well, Derrick Rose and Deron Williams.... Generally speaking though, it's probably not a great idea for your point to also be your best scorer because finding that delicate balance between scoring and getting your teammates involved is a skill few have truly mastered.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 AM

3,085 posts, read 4,221,451 times
JzA and John23 gave great answers. In fact I remember when he played with Vince Carter. Vince Carter actually had more driving ability, but I always thought T-mac was the player I wanted to have the ball in hand with the game on the line. He had great ability (not sure he had more athletic ability than Kobe). I remember a game when he and Kobe were going at it back and forth. And Kobe put a dunk down on T-mac that was sick. He sort of floated in the area and while floating somehow burst up for the dunk. It was nasty. Kobe was a better player. I also remember the All star game where Kobe and MJ went at it. To me, there was something special going on. It was like you could see alot of MJ in Kobe. Granted, MJ was much older than, but they were both taking it to each other. It was like the mantle was passed.

T-mac didn't have the killer instinct of a MJ or Kobe, but he had more of a killer instinct than Vince (fade when they need him) Carter and many others.

He always sort of reminded me of Dominigue Wilkins. Had lots of skill, but was lacking something. Could never get over the hump. And I agree, injuries and such did not help him.

Had he been healthy, I would have easily have put him in the top fifty. I must have an eye for talent, because I remember when Kobe first came out. At that time on sports center they were constantly showing dunking highlights of Vince Carter. Yet, even then, I said to my roommate, Kobe is going to be the closest thing to MJ we'll ever see. At least up until that point. I saw a non clutch gene in VC that at that time no one else saw. And I saw a fire in Kobe that apparently no one else at the time saw. It wasn't long, my views were right. I also said when Tracy played in Toronto with Vince Carter that Mcgrady was the better player. And I think I was right. Some guys just don't have the mental toughness that few have..

Grant Hill was plagued with injuries, but I didn't see that killer instinct in him either.

There are only three players in the last twenty years that I saw that in. MJ, Kobe and Dwayne Wade. And I'm still sort of reconsidering Dwayne Wade. He did carry a team to one championship and he looked like the best player in the Olympics and in the Fiba games a few years back. But I wouldn't put Dwayne is MJ or even Kobes category. As he ages, and his hops go, if he doesn't improve certain aspects of his game, he will be another Allen Iverson, but with a ring or two or three..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball