U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 02:10 PM

7,499 posts, read 8,052,240 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised San Diego is 43
We use to have the clippers here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 04:18 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,184,831 times
Funny, I was watching a Lakers, Celtics 1985 Game 1 Finals DVD last night. Guess how many points the Celtics scored by halftime? 79 points! Scored 148 points in the game.

-Look how much the game has been diluted since then. You only had 23 teams in the league then.

I think the problem is, the NBA risks turning into the MLB, with so many small market teams. I.e. Charlotte, Memphis, New Orleans risk becoming like the Kansas City Royals. Perpetually small market, low $$$$ revenue teams.

I'm still kind of shocked there is no team in Seattle. I think that was one of the most shocking sports moves in the last 15 years, in any sport. To go from Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton.....and a rocking Key Arena, to nothing in a few years.....thats amazing.

-I also wonder why Cincinnati has never been seriously considered. They've had the Reds for 80 or 100 years. Bengals, granted they've never been any good. But they've been in the NFL for 40 years.

St Louis would also seem like a good choice.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:10 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,791,111 times
I like Montreal for a basketball team....

Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,162,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
It is too close to DC but it is also close to Philly. The city is primarily into the Ravens and Orioles. I can't see a basketball team fitting into that market.

As far as Virginia Beach, it wouldn't work in that area unless they put it in Norfolk. Virginia Beach is a little more remotely located. If they put on in VB, it would be difficult for other parts of the Hampton Roads area to go to those games. The way the area is situated, it is difficult to navigate through some of the cities because of the amount of water around it. They have the population for it, and the lack of sports team (only the minor league Norfolk Tides), but they would have to build a new arena because the Scope is too small.
They aren't Baltimore's team. We only support our own.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:12 AM

432 posts, read 483,649 times
I think we should expand our teams to Canada. The Vancouver Grizzlies should of stayed and we should move the Bobcats expansion to Montreal.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 AM

21,961 posts, read 27,403,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
I think we should expand our teams to Canada. The Vancouver Grizzlies should of stayed and we should move the Bobcats expansion to Montreal.
I am not sure an NBA club would be viable in Montreal.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:51 PM

266 posts, read 336,659 times
If were talking about expansion I dont think they should create anymore teams. The more the league expands the more watered down it gets, plus 31 teams would make the conferences uneven. If were talking about moving a franchise, like the Kings, I think a place like Kansas City or St. Louis would be a good fit. They could stay in the western conference and I think they could do well financially because that "middle america" area is pretty much void of an NBA team, except for OKC i guess.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 PM

4,158 posts, read 7,922,077 times
Well NBA teams don't need as big of a population to support them as NFL, MLB teams do. That being said I would think alot of Medium sized cities could support a team. St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha, Louisville, Columbus, Cincinnati, could all probably sustain a franchise.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,028,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Regardless of what the income numbers say, overall interest in the NBA in Montreal is very low compared to other North American cities.
I agree, they can't hold on to American sports teams, I don't think that it would be worth trying.

I would really like to see a team back in Seattle, though.

I think that St. Louis, Kansas City, Columbus, Cincinnati, and San Diego would be good options for other NBA teams.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:45 PM

432 posts, read 483,649 times
Lol I think that the Bronx should have a basketball team or even queens lol The Queens Kings (If they move from sactown) xD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or