Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:04 PM

551 posts, read 1,117,866 times

Advertisements

This is a spin-off from another post but in a legitimate direction

1. The fake fan-base and support, suddenly everyone likes them from the schoolyard up and swear that they have no weaknesses. They have been exposed mostly by the Pacers so far.

2. This team made us fans lose 2 stars. Wade and Bosh do not play like they used to. They are screwing up their own legacy. No one is competitive anymore. No real winner would ask for such a thing to happen. These guys used to be going at it when they had their own team. The league has become watered down, all you hear about is Miami.

3. Lebron is still not dominant when he needs to be. He hasn't proved to me that he deserved any of those mvp's with miami. He did it himself on the Cavs with a 66-16 following a 61-21 record, thats fine. Game 1 of the 2013 finals, Tony Parker looked like an mvp and he had no triple nor a double double. He is the number 1 option on his team and he came through WHEN IT MATTERED.

4. The media is trying to make him the next MJ of this era. He will NEVER be on that level because he has bounced back in so many defining moments. Its too late, he went out his way to join 2 stars just to win. He was winning in Cleveland. Same result of losing championship series in Miami (last year was a mirage of terrible calls and the flopping was at an all-time high, in other words it was given to them. Lets all be honest, this year they are here legit)

5. 3 MVP's on a team like that is ridiculous. Its guys on other teams that actually score for their teams when needed to and do it consistently to win, guess what? they also have way less productive support. KD's mvp is long overdue (the 24 year old killer on the court), Kobe was really busting his ass this year (for a 34 year old still having to put up 27ppg with that lineup),and Melo did his thing too (In order of worthiness). Shoot, even James Harden had great numbers. Im not saying LJ doesn't deserve mvp, im just saying Cleveland was the most rational place for him to get that honor twice.

6. Lebron and the whole damn team flops. That is not respectable basketball. I play ball and I wouldn't ever have the nerves to pretend that somebody made me fall. That is not manly at all and that is poor playing of the game. When did MJ , Kobe, or Magic for that matter flop? (the guys they compare him to). Even MJ mentioned that he would take KD and the question was "Lebron or Kobe?" in an interview.

7. This man gets alot of the calls. Lebron was allover Tony Parker last night on that clutch play, rolled on the floor and everything. NO CALL. if it was him I strongly believe that he would have gotten a call. When Lebron has great defense on him he pleads for a foul, its ridiculous.

8. The decision- He was arrogant enough to have a special on his free agency choice. The hate from Cleveland fans would have been less had he just been like everyone else. You have to finish what you start and he was not in a bad place. I sure it was other factors that made him change teams such as the weather, i mean it is Miami.

How are you the best at this competitive sport with a mentality like this?

Lastly. I have no hate for Lebron at all. He is an amazing athlete and a role model for many. He has outstanding accolades and I am proud that he is able to do what he does. However, he is quoted as the "best in sports" and compared to nba greats..... still he backs away in defining moments. His triple double was awesome but was it awesome enough to get the win? The MVP was never about having the best all around stats. Your stats certainly have to be up there but the MVP should be given to the number 1 option in a organization who helps his team win often in times of adversity. KD wants the ball and clutches for the most part, we all know Kobe does, and we did see Melo when he is on point. For the most part, I think everything is the media's fault.

P.S. I will not be arguing with anyone. All I have to say here is brute honesty.. you either like it or you dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 03:50 PM

207 posts, read 334,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartinNY View Post
This is a spin-off from another post but in a legitimate direction

1. The fake fan-base and support, suddenly everyone likes them from the schoolyard up and swear that they have no weaknesses. They have been exposed mostly by the Pacers so far.

2. This team made us fans lose 2 stars. Wade and Bosh do not play like they used to. They are screwing up their own legacy. No one is competitive anymore. No real winner would ask for such a thing to happen. These guys used to be going at it when they had their own team. The league has become watered down, all you hear about is Miami.

3. Lebron is still not dominant when he needs to be. He hasn't proved to me that he deserved any of those mvp's with miami. He did it himself on the Cavs with a 66-16 following a 61-21 record, thats fine. Game 1 of the 2013 finals, Tony Parker looked like an mvp and he had no triple nor a double double. He is the number 1 option on his team and he came through WHEN IT MATTERED.

4. The media is trying to make him the next MJ of this era. He will NEVER be on that level because he has bounced back in so many defining moments. Its too late, he went out his way to join 2 stars just to win. He was winning in Cleveland. Same result of losing championship series in Miami (last year was a mirage of terrible calls and the flopping was at an all-time high, in other words it was given to them. Lets all be honest, this year they are here legit)

5. 3 MVP's on a team like that is ridiculous. Its guys on other teams that actually score for their teams when needed to and do it consistently to win, guess what? they also have way less productive support. KD's mvp is long overdue (the 24 year old killer on the court), Kobe was really busting his ass this year (for a 34 year old still having to put up 27ppg with that lineup),and Melo did his thing too (In order of worthiness). Shoot, even James Harden had great numbers. Im not saying LJ doesn't deserve mvp, im just saying Cleveland was the most rational place for him to get that honor twice.

6. Lebron and the whole damn team flops. That is not respectable basketball. I play ball and I wouldn't ever have the nerves to pretend that somebody made me fall. That is not manly at all and that is poor playing of the game. When did MJ , Kobe, or Magic for that matter flop? (the guys they compare him to). Even MJ mentioned that he would take KD and the question was "Lebron or Kobe?" in an interview.

7. This man gets alot of the calls. Lebron was allover Tony Parker last night on that clutch play, rolled on the floor and everything. NO CALL. if it was him I strongly believe that he would have gotten a call. When Lebron has great defense on him he pleads for a foul, its ridiculous.

8. The decision- He was arrogant enough to have a special on his free agency choice. The hate from Cleveland fans would have been less had he just been like everyone else. You have to finish what you start and he was not in a bad place. I sure it was other factors that made him change teams such as the weather, i mean it is Miami.

How are you the best at this competitive sport with a mentality like this?

Lastly. I have no hate for Lebron at all. He is an amazing athlete and a role model for many. He has outstanding accolades and I am proud that he is able to do what he does. However, he is quoted as the "best in sports" and compared to nba greats..... still he backs away in defining moments. His triple double was awesome but was it awesome enough to get the win? The MVP was never about having the best all around stats. Your stats certainly have to be up there but the MVP should be given to the number 1 option in a organization who helps his team win often in times of adversity. KD wants the ball and clutches for the most part, we all know Kobe does, and we did see Melo when he is on point. For the most part, I think everything is the media's fault.

P.S. I will not be arguing with anyone. All I have to say here is brute honesty.. you either like it or you dont.
Well u won't be getting any argument from me. U sound very knowledgeable. He's definitely overhyped. Most of this he's done to himself, like with the special announcing his move to Miami. I have no clue what that guy was thinking, when he predicted that he would win, what was it like 8 titles in Miami?

Lebron is definitely a great guy, and an AMAZING player. I do think he should have won the MVP's with Miami, but that's based off the MVP voting of the past. For example when Nash won his 2 MVP's it had a lot to do with the fact that Phoenix went from last place to first place in one year, and Nash was the only addition to the team. If we're going with simply who is the most valuable player and not counting team record I'd go with Durant or Melo.

He's definitely losing fans right now, and that has a LOT to do with his 8 title predictions, his inability to take over games late like we're used to seeing with guys like MJ, Kobe, Magic, Olajuwon, Dirk, Melo, Bird, Karl Malone, Durant/Westbrook Reggie Miller, AI, McGrady Ginobili/Parker, and before Lebron came to Miami Dwayne Wade. His comments about flopping "I don't need to flop, I play an aggressive game. I don't flop, I've never been one of those guys." Go on you tube and search for Lebron's "flop videos". This guy is about as big of a flopper as there's ever been in the NBA. I guarantee u will lose at least some respect for him after watching him flop over and over again, then have the never to say he doesn't flop. That flop he had against David West in the playoffs this year was hard to watch. It was embarrassing. Pretty soon they'll start comparing the NBA to soccer and pro wrestling. I never saw MJ flop like that....never saw Magic or Bird or any of those guys from the 80's/90's flopping all over the court. Now obviously Lebron isn't the only NBA player flopping LOL, but when u draw that much attention to yourself like Lebron has done, people are going to be watching u through a microscope.

People are getting sick of the hype surrounding this guy. If the Heat don't win a title this year it will be nothing short of a catastrophe...not because they're that good, but because Lebron hyped them, and himself, up to be.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:08 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,926,076 times
not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7....oh OK maybe 1

Old 06-07-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
Well u won't be getting any argument from me. U sound very knowledgeable. He's definitely overhyped. Most of this he's done to himself, like with the special announcing his move to Miami. I have no clue what that guy was thinking, when he predicted that he would win, what was it like 8 titles in Miami?

Lebron is definitely a great guy, and an AMAZING player. I do think he should have won the MVP's with Miami, but that's based off the MVP voting of the past. For example when Nash won his 2 MVP's it had a lot to do with the fact that Phoenix went from last place to first place in one year, and Nash was the only addition to the team. If we're going with simply who is the most valuable player and not counting team record I'd go with Durant or Melo.

He's definitely losing fans right now, and that has a LOT to do with his 8 title predictions, his inability to take over games late like we're used to seeing with guys like MJ, Kobe, Magic, Olajuwon, Dirk, Melo, Bird, Karl Malone, Durant/Westbrook Reggie Miller, AI, McGrady Ginobili/Parker, and before Lebron came to Miami Dwayne Wade. His comments about flopping "I don't need to flop, I play an aggressive game. I don't flop, I've never been one of those guys." Go on you tube and search for Lebron's "flop videos". This guy is about as big of a flopper as there's ever been in the NBA. I guarantee u will lose at least some respect for him after watching him flop over and over again, then have the never to say he doesn't flop. That flop he had against David West in the playoffs this year was hard to watch. It was embarrassing. Pretty soon they'll start comparing the NBA to soccer and pro wrestling. I never saw MJ flop like that....never saw Magic or Bird or any of those guys from the 80's/90's flopping all over the court. Now obviously Lebron isn't the only NBA player flopping LOL, but when u draw that much attention to yourself like Lebron has done, people are going to be watching u through a microscope.

People are getting sick of the hype surrounding this guy. If the Heat don't win a title this year it will be nothing short of a catastrophe...not because they're that good, but because Lebron hyped them, and himself, up to be.
Flawless reply. I loved it.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,704,277 times
*yawns*

Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,055,071 times
The sad thing is that I enjoyed watching the guy play in Cleveland but that seems like it was a different person. It wasn't the fact that he left, it was the way he did it and who he went to. It was a totally classless way of leaving. If he would've told Cleveland that he was testing free agency, people would've respected him for that. But to have a TV show about it? Doesn't matter that the money went to charity or whatever.

I'm so tired of these young kids thinking he's better than MJ. I'm 34 and grew up in Chicago when the Bulls were not only winning, they were winning big. If leflop had played back in the 90's, he wouldn't even average 20 PPG because he is just soft. Unfortunately, it's typical of this era, the kids growing up these days are like that. I shoot around at the local high school and the kids there look up to guys like leflop, whine and cry every time someone breathes on them hard. Back in my day, you'd better almost be bleeding to get a foul. The attitude of entitlement spreads to the kids these days: if you don't get your way, whine and cry until you do. Instead of working hard and build a team around you like a leader does, go somewhere else with people of the same poor attitude.

leflop is a guy who manages to succeed in a watered down league, it's as simple as that. Put him back in the 80's or 90's against some real defenses and he'd been run out of the league long ago. Him staring people down like a street thug and flexing is the attitude kids these days pick up on. Those kids aren't going to be playing pro sports and they're going to learn the real world is a cruel and harsh place that doesn't give in to cry babies and thuggery.

The Heat are an assembled team and I'm sure the NBA has a lot of financial interested vested in them winning.

IMO, basketball in general is a shameful sport. Nothing but a bunch of tattoo'd thugs running around. What's the point of a uniform if guys are wearing headbands, long sleeves, long pants or whatever they want? What's with staring people down? How is it an accomplishment for a 6'8" guy to dunk on a 6'2" guy? Not too many of the classy players are left and that's why I'm rooting for the Spurs. They're a classy team from a classy city.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:13 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,466,445 times
Oh gawd!

Another rant about how someone doesn't like LeBron James....another deluded basketball purist thread.

I agree that these current group of ballers are from a different generation, but at least i know talent and skill still has a purpose in the NBA. (see Ron Artest/MWP)

Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Oh gawd!

Another rant about how someone doesn't like LeBron James....another deluded basketball purist thread.

I agree that these current group of ballers are from a different generation, but at least i know talent and skill still has a purpose in the NBA. (see Ron Artest/MWP)
You aren't generating anything meaningful to say. I said I have nothing against him, its the media. He's done great things since highschool, thats awesome.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
*yawns*
Still read it.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
The sad thing is that I enjoyed watching the guy play in Cleveland but that seems like it was a different person. It wasn't the fact that he left, it was the way he did it and who he went to. It was a totally classless way of leaving. If he would've told Cleveland that he was testing free agency, people would've respected him for that. But to have a TV show about it? Doesn't matter that the money went to charity or whatever.

I'm so tired of these young kids thinking he's better than MJ. I'm 34 and grew up in Chicago when the Bulls were not only winning, they were winning big. If leflop had played back in the 90's, he wouldn't even average 20 PPG because he is just soft. Unfortunately, it's typical of this era, the kids growing up these days are like that. I shoot around at the local high school and the kids there look up to guys like leflop, whine and cry every time someone breathes on them hard. Back in my day, you'd better almost be bleeding to get a foul. The attitude of entitlement spreads to the kids these days: if you don't get your way, whine and cry until you do. Instead of working hard and build a team around you like a leader does, go somewhere else with people of the same poor attitude.

leflop is a guy who manages to succeed in a watered down league, it's as simple as that. Put him back in the 80's or 90's against some real defenses and he'd been run out of the league long ago. Him staring people down like a street thug and flexing is the attitude kids these days pick up on. Those kids aren't going to be playing pro sports and they're going to learn the real world is a cruel and harsh place that doesn't give in to cry babies and thuggery.

The Heat are an assembled team and I'm sure the NBA has a lot of financial interested vested in them winning.

IMO, basketball in general is a shameful sport. Nothing but a bunch of tattoo'd thugs running around. What's the point of a uniform if guys are wearing headbands, long sleeves, long pants or whatever they want? What's with staring people down? How is it an accomplishment for a 6'8" guy to dunk on a 6'2" guy? Not too many of the classy players are left and that's why I'm rooting for the Spurs. They're a classy team from a classy city.
First things first, you lost me with your conclusion.

Lebron cant change what era he played in, that whole analogy sounds like pure bull. He is 6'8" 250+ and talented. If anything he would learn to be more tough in that era . Shawn Kemp was nasty, he stared people down. after throwing it. I actually would like to see that edginess in basketball... we need the swag, the attitude and the toughness.

However I play ball too and im serious about it, trying to go to college and the nba. In pick up games you barely ever hear me call, its literally a 1% chance that ill call something unless its an obvious foul. I dont mind contact. I just do my thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball