U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:03 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,201,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The biggest factor was injuries. How much of the season did Nash, Kobe, Howard, World Peace and Gasol actually play together? Not saying they would've been world beaters, but likely much better...maybe a 55+ win team which ain't bad out west.
The lakers had Kobe, Howard, artest for 75+ games, Nash and gasol 50, Meeks and Jamison 78 and 76 respectively.
Hill being the only "role player/starter" to miss more than 1/2 of the season.

Injuries paid a part late in the season for sure. So does adding pau and 38-39 yr old Nash really win them 10+ more games?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 11:36 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,054,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
The lakers had Kobe, Howard, artest for 75+ games, Nash and gasol 50, Meeks and Jamison 78 and 76 respectively.
Hill being the only "role player/starter" to miss more than 1/2 of the season.

Injuries paid a part late in the season for sure. So does adding pau and 38-39 yr old Nash really win them 10+ more games?
Key word: injuries. How many of those 75+ games was Dwight healthy? I seem to recall him claiming his back wasn't right the entire season. I also seem to recall Nash/Gasol playing through injuries when they did play.

A quick Google search tells me the planned starting 5 of Kobe-Nash-Howard-Gasol-Peace played a total of 19 games together. Good luck bringing 5 guys (of which 2-3 are playing injured) together and building any sort of chemistry in 19 games.

I'm no Lakers fan, but given the circumstances, it's not surprising they "only" won 45 games out West.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Key word: injuries. How many of those 75+ games was Dwight healthy? I seem to recall him claiming his back wasn't right the entire season. I also seem to recall Nash/Gasol playing through injuries when they did play.

A quick Google search tells me the planned starting 5 of Kobe-Nash-Howard-Gasol-Peace played a total of 19 games together. Good luck bringing 5 guys (of which 2-3 are playing injured) together and building any sort of chemistry in 19 games.

I'm no Lakers fan, but given the circumstances, it's not surprising they "only" won 45 games out West.
Hmmmm lakers traded to get Howard coming off back surgery, traded the baby along with the bath water for 38 yr old Nash who's had just missed 1/3 of the previous season with injury, and had a history of back problems/spasms.

Sounds like lakers set themselves up for failure from the get go. Can't complain about injuries or issues when you bring in injury prone or already injured guys.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm lakers traded to get Howard coming off back surgery, traded the baby along with the bath water for 38 yr old Nash who's had just missed 1/3 of the previous season with injury, and had a history of back problems/spasms.

Sounds like lakers set themselves up for failure from the get go. Can't complain about injuries or issues when you bring in injury prone or already injured guys.
That could be argued, but hind sight is 20/20. How were they to know Dwight wouldn't come in at 100%? I'm sure they consulted with doctors before signing him. They're certainly not the first team to sign a star coming off surgery. Nash played 81, 75 and 62 games the previous 3 seasons. Heck, even if Dwight/Nash would've been 100%, who would've foreseen Kobe's injury? For Lakers fans, it's probably better things went like they did...imagine having an awesome 60+ win season and Kobe gets shut down by a torn achilles right before the playoffs start. Management was probably looking to win now with Kobe being 34 but still playing at an elite level. I'm glad they gave it shot...as a basketball fan it could've been fun to watch.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:02 PM

That's all well and good, except was supposed to return around Xmas, they (and he) pushed to come back opening day.
As for Nash, dig through these threads where some of us talk about his back issues and his age, us fans could see it, management couldn't?

As for Kobe, yeah that injury was not foreseeable, but well before his injury lakers fans were already making Howard the scapegoat. And lakers gave Kobe 50+ for 2 years coming off a terrible injury.... It's bad judgement after bad judgement since dr buss died

Old 06-01-2015, 01:31 PM

51,993 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Quote:
That's all well and good, except was supposed to return around Xmas, they (and he) pushed to come back opening day.
As for Nash, dig through these threads where some of us talk about his back issues and his age, us fans could see it, management couldn't?

As for Kobe, yeah that injury was not foreseeable, but well before his injury lakers fans were already making Howard the scapegoat. And lakers gave Kobe 50+ for 2 years coming off a terrible injury.... It's bad judgement after bad judgement since dr buss died
There is no possible excuse for the Nash trade.

He was 38, coming off season after season after season of 35mpg with Pheonix and had missed a number of games his last year in PHX.

2 first rounders for that? Wow.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:

And I'm sure Howard had to pass some sort of physical before he was allowed to play. Of course the Lakers wanted him to play ASAP, but I doubt they were willing to rush him back without being cleared to play. If Howard thought he was ready, but the injury still aggregated him - that's just how it goes with some injuries...not really the Lakers fault.

As for Nash, I'm sure they knew he was getting older, but maybe the idea of possibly winning big for a year or two was hard to pass up. Some teams wait 30-40 years to win a single championship - the Lakers had a chance and took it. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. If Nash/Howard/Kobe all stay healthy for one season and win a championship, we are probably all sitting here saying the front office worked their magic getting Nash/Howard a ring and Kobe #6.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:49 PM

2,013 posts, read 2,014,077 times
I am a Laker fan and I feel that Kobe Bryant has outlived his usefullness, IMO he is now a liability.

I think he feels he is above everyone else, the rest of the team are nothing but the help. When he finally retires, the Lakers just may get a top tier free agent, but not until then.

I never thought that way before, but sad to say I do now.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 PM

8,548 posts, read 8,884,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I am a Laker fan and I feel that Kobe Bryant has outlived his usefullness, IMO he is now a liability.

I think he feels he is above everyone else, the rest of the team are nothing but the help. When he finally retires, the Lakers just may get a top tier free agent, but not until then.

I never thought that way before, but sad to say I do now.

I think this year will reveal that or he will make a miraculous comeback. He certainly still could score over 20 a game

Old 07-23-2015, 09:14 AM

51,993 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I think this year will reveal that or he will make a miraculous comeback. He certainly still could score over 20 a game
Of course he can....he just needs about 30 shots to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball