U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,189,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I seriously don't understand why everyone thinks Howard going to the Lakers would make them a championship team. Kobe is borderline old and he really showed it last year. Howard is great and Kobe is still great but for how long? Kobe has played 14 SEASONS!!! He has what, 3 good years left in him?

I'm a big Kobe fan even though I HATE the Lakers. If I were Howard, I'd go to the Bulls. Rose and Howard > Kobe and Howard due to age.

the LA Lakers have 11 titles and pretend the other 6 aren't from their Minnesota days.

Also, the Lakers aren't always good. Thing is, when they are good...they are really good. They sucked from 1989-1999 and 1957-1970. They go up and down just like every other team. I see Boston and LA sucking it up for the next five years. Last years playoffs was the true sign of a change of the guard. Both teams are crazy old and it showed. Time for new teams to take over for the next few years as the two teams with over HALF of the NBA titles try to improve their teams.

There have been about 65 NBA seasons. Lakes and Celtics have 17 titles each. 34 out of 65 is WAYYYY more than half. I can't stand either team. I want new teams winning!
Howard should go to the Knicks and play in the much easier Eastern Conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 PM
JL

7,354 posts, read 11,888,807 times
Howard should go to the Rockets since Olajuwon is only minutes away. Howard can get tutoring every weekend from the Dream.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Howard should go to the Rockets since Olajuwon is only minutes away. Howard can get tutoring every weekend from the Dream.
Too many pieces needed to make them a contender. In this case he'd be better off to stay in Orlando and have them build.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:15 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Too many pieces needed to make them a contender. In this case he'd be better off to stay in Orlando and have them build.
If Orlando was gonna trade him to the Knicks, i'd think they want Stoudemire in return. Otherwise, i don't see it happening. Like i said before, the best teams to get him with good young pieces are the Bulls and Thunder. Most likely, i see him not going anywhere and remain in Orlando.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
If Orlando was gonna trade him to the Knicks, i'd think they want Stoudemire in return. Otherwise, i don't see it happening. Like i said before, the best teams to get him with good young pieces are the Bulls and Thunder. Most likely, i see him not going anywhere and remain in Orlando.
I agree he probably will stay but he can go to the Knicks in free agency, he doesn't have to be traded and why would they trade Amare when they are trying to put someone along side him?

Old 09-24-2011, 07:42 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,881,684 times
Quote:
I think the Bulls have the pieces( bigmen) to make a play for Howard moreso than the Thunder. Either scenario is lightning in a bottle. Howard and Rose? Howard and Durant/Westbrook? YIKES.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:01 AM
JL

Quote:
I agree he probably will stay but he can go to the Knicks in free agency, he doesn't have to be traded and why would they trade Amare when they are trying to put someone along side him?
The danger of free agency is that opens the doors for other teams like the Nets, etc. The new CBA when it does happen will have a restrictive salary cap. Not sure the Knicks will be able to offer max salary for Howard considering Melo and Stoudemire already have max unless they're willing to take a cut like the Heat trio(only Wade and LBJ...Bosh took max). Howard has mentioned about the Nets(DWilliams). It is a tricky situation for the Magic whether to trade him or let him walk. If he does go to free agency, it also means the Bulls might have to trade either Gibson, Noah, Boozer(though harder cuz of his salary), etc. to another team to make the salary work for Howard. Same for Thunder. The bigger danger for the well known/popular teams like Lakers, Knicks, etc. is that it might lessen their chances of getting him. Mark Cuban is a persuasive/charming kinda guy. I don't doubt he would pull out all stops to convince Howard. I think the rest of the NBA would like to see him walk and be a free agent. It gives them a chance, even if slightly, to land him. You just never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I think the Bulls have the pieces( bigmen) to make a play for Howard moreso than the Thunder. Either scenario is lightning in a bottle. Howard and Rose? Howard and Durant/Westbrook? YIKES.
I agree. The combo of Howard/Rose would be more fitting. Orlando would take Noah and Gibson, but probably don't want Boozer's bloated contract especially with his injuries. The salaries wouldn't work unless Boozer was part of that deal in some fashion. I think if he is traded to Thunder, Westbrook, Harden, and Perkins would have to be in the deal to make the salaries work. Westbrook/(Harden or Ibaka but not both) isn't enough to make the salaries work. Perkins or Collison(31yrs old making 13 mil/yr this yr but making like 3-4 mil/yr afterwards) will have to be part of the trade to make the salaries work out. Also, i'm sure the Magic would like to have a center in return for trading Howard. My opinion is that the new CBA will have the salary cap much lower. I don't see the players getting their way that much especially this part.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 AM
JL

Quote:
The danger of free agency is that opens the doors for other teams like the Nets, etc. The new CBA when it does happen will have a restrictive salary cap. Not sure the Knicks will be able to offer max salary for Howard considering Melo and Stoudemire already have max unless they're willing to take a cut like the Heat trio(only Wade and LBJ...Bosh took max but state tax in Florida so not too bad). Howard has mentioned about the Nets(DWilliams). It is a tricky situation for the Magic whether to trade him or let him walk. If he does go to free agency, it also means the Bulls might have to trade either Gibson, Noah, Boozer(though harder cuz of his salary), etc. to another team to make the salary work for Howard. Same for Thunder. The bigger danger for the well known/popular teams like Lakers, Knicks, etc. is that it might lessen their chances of getting him. Those teams are better making a trade proposal to get him than wait till free agency. Mark Cuban is a persuasive/charming kinda guy. I don't doubt he would pull out all stops to convince Howard. I think the rest of the NBA would like to see him walk and be a free agent. It gives them a chance, even if slightly, to land him. You just never know. I think he walks, but i'm 50/50 on that leaning more towards walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I agree. The combo of Howard/Rose would be more fitting. Orlando would take Noah and Gibson, but probably don't want Boozer's bloated contract especially with his injuries. The salaries wouldn't work unless Boozer was part of that deal in some fashion. I think if he is traded to Thunder, Westbrook, Harden, and Perkins would have to be in the deal to make the salaries work. Westbrook/(Harden or Ibaka but not both) isn't enough to make the salaries work. Perkins or Collison(31yrs old making 13 mil/yr this yr but making like 3-4 mil/yr afterwards) will have to be part of the trade to make the salaries work out. Also, i'm sure the Magic would like to have a center in return for trading Howard. My opinion is that the new CBA will have the salary cap much lower. I don't see the players getting their way that much especially this part.

Teams like the Rockets, Mavs, Warriors, Nets(a good chance of him actually),etc. would prefer that he walks obviously since they don't have the best trade assets, but it gives them some chance,even remotely, in free agency. The other team with a chance that i haven't really mentioned are the Grizzlies. They have Gay and Randolph will huge salaries, but as a result of this lockout, they haven't been able to re-sign Gasol. He is gonna want max(sign-trade). If they make a pitch for Howard, one or two of those guys are likely gone.

Last edited by JL; 09-24-2011 at 11:22 AM..

Old 09-24-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
The danger of free agency is that opens the doors for other teams like the Nets, etc. The new CBA when it does happen will have a restrictive salary cap. Not sure the Knicks will be able to offer max salary for Howard considering Melo and Stoudemire already have max unless they're willing to take a cut like the Heat trio(only Wade and LBJ...Bosh took max but state tax in Florida so not too bad). Howard has mentioned about the Nets(DWilliams). It is a tricky situation for the Magic whether to trade him or let him walk. If he does go to free agency, it also means the Bulls might have to trade either Gibson, Noah, Boozer(though harder cuz of his salary), etc. to another team to make the salary work for Howard. Same for Thunder. The bigger danger for the well known/popular teams like Lakers, Knicks, etc. is that it might lessen their chances of getting him. Those teams are better making a trade proposal to get him than wait till free agency. Mark Cuban is a persuasive/charming kinda guy. I don't doubt he would pull out all stops to convince Howard. I think the rest of the NBA would like to see him walk and be a free agent. It gives them a chance, even if slightly, to land him. You just never know. I think he walks, but i'm 50/50 on that leaning more towards walk.

Teams like the Rockets, Mavs, Warriors, Nets(a good chance of him actually),etc. would prefer that he walks obviously since they don't have the best trade assets, but it gives them some chance,even remotely, in free agency. The other team with a chance that i haven't really mentioned are the Grizzlies. They have Gay and Randolph will huge salaries, but as a result of this lockout, they haven't been able to re-sign Gasol. He is gonna want max(sign-trade). If they make a pitch for Howard, one or two of those guys are likely gone.
I wish he would go to my Warriors but I doubt it. We would have to send Biedrins in a deal and probably Monta too to make that work. I also don't think he'd sign an extension with us.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:40 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,310,730 times
They make great draft choices, trades and have a history of winning which breeds winning. Lakers are like a Mercedes or Lexus, winners and people want to buy/play for winners.

I mean take the Kobe trade on draft day for example, FREAKING GENIUS. Magic at point, Shaq..Kareem, genius...

Then its finding great coaches, Riley, Phil, etc....

Dr. Buss is also 100% behind doing what it takes to have a winning team. Sucky owners=sucky teams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball