U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 09:53 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,182,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJone'sBloodyNose View Post
lakers had a couple of crap years. like the early magic retirement/pre- shaq era. divac, eddie jones, elden campell, nick van exel and scrubs.
Hey don't group Divac in here with the others. He might have been one of the most underrated guys ever. A great team guy, awesome passer, solid assist guy and could put up a double/double every night when he was given the playing time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 04:41 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,048,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Can't dog the Yankees. They are still the most profitable team in MLB. The NBA cap is a little different. Last year I recall the Lakers being at home while Dallas was still playing!!!
can't stand the Lakers, thats why my favorite NBA teams are the Boston Celtics, San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat, since they are the biggest rivals of the Lakers

Old 10-16-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
can't stand the Lakers, thats why my favorite NBA teams are the Boston Celtics, San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat, since they are the biggest rivals of the Lakers
Nothing wrong with that, i'm a Warriors fan and will root for just about anyone who plays them unless it is hurting my teams standing.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:56 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't know how you can say that about Howard. The guy has clearly worked hard on his game and last year added in some offense that people said he couldn't pull off. I've yet to see his game reach it's peak as he has improved every year.

Frankly, if they held a complete re-draft today across the NBA....he's my #1 pick.

I think that if he joins the Bulls, that team WILL win at least 1 ring and would be a nightmare scenario for the Heats hopes of multiple rings.
The Heat as presently constructed would NOT get past a Bulls team with Howard, assuming they keep their other core pieces. Howard and Rose for the next 6 years( Howard's got that much 'prime' years left)? Scary.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The Heat as presently constructed would NOT get past a Bulls team with Howard, assuming they keep their other core pieces. Howard and Rose for the next 6 years( Howard's got that much 'prime' years left)? Scary.
It doesn't always matter if you acquire the best players, they have to be able to work together. That's why the Heat lost last year. They couldn't play well as a team.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
It doesn't always matter if you acquire the best players, they have to be able to work together. That's why the Heat lost last year. They couldn't play well as a team.
I didn't suggest otherwise. But I see no reason why Howard and Rose wouldn't be able to compliment each other,or that Howard wouldn't fit in the Bulls scheme. Of course this is all theory, no-one 'knows' how these things will actually turn out. The Heat had huge problems with the Bulls bigs and then you're throwing the most dominant bigman in the league into the mix? As I said, a core of Howard, Noah, Boozer, Deng, Rose with the Bulls bigs and their defensive philosophy, would be IMO more than the current Heat can handle. This is assuming, of course, that they can play together. And you'd have to also assume that one or two of those guys wouldn't be on the roster if Howard were to sign there, for financial reasons. But, I think with Howard and Rose you're looking at the most dynamic inside-outside combo since Shaq-Kobe. All speculation, of course....

As for the Heat, for all their numerous issues, they were two games from the NBA title. And that's with them 'not playing well as a team'. If Lebron had played 'remotely' close to the level he showed in prior rounds, the title was theirs. But, don't want to play the 'if' game too much. What happened is what happened, all credit to the Mavs. You have to figure with a few roster moves and some better offensive sets, that they'll figure it out eventually. Aside from Lebron's maniacal 'we're going to win 8 championships' tirade, I'd rate their season as pretty damn good considering all the flaws in their roster, chemistry issues, the slow start, etc etc etc.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
I didn't suggest otherwise. But I see no reason why Howard and Rose wouldn't be able to compliment each other,or that Howard wouldn't fit in the Bulls scheme. Of course this is all theory, no-one 'knows' how these things will actually turn out. The Heat had huge problems with the Bulls bigs and then you're throwing the most dominant bigman in the league into the mix? As I said, a core of Howard, Noah, Boozer, Deng, Rose with the Bulls bigs and their defensive philosophy, would be IMO more than the current Heat can handle. This is assuming, of course, that they can play together. And you'd have to also assume that one or two of those guys wouldn't be on the roster if Howard were to sign there, for financial reasons. But, I think with Howard and Rose you're looking at the most dynamic inside-outside combo since Shaq-Kobe. All speculation, of course....

As for the Heat, for all their numerous issues, they were two games from the NBA title. And that's with them 'not playing well as a team'. If Lebron had played 'remotely' close to the level he showed in prior rounds, the title was theirs. But, don't want to play the 'if' game too much. What happened is what happened, all credit to the Mavs. You have to figure with a few roster moves and some better offensive sets, that they'll figure it out eventually. Aside from Lebron's maniacal 'we're going to win 8 championships' tirade, I'd rate their season as pretty damn good considering all the flaws in their roster, chemistry issues, the slow start, etc etc etc.
Here's the problem...if he is acquired via trade,then Noah is gone. If by free agency, they might still trade away Noah. The team had already made the offer previously for Howard. Now obviously Noah doesn't score like Howard but no one works harder than him defensively or to grab a rebound.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Here's the problem...if he is acquired via trade,then Noah is gone. If by free agency, they might still trade away Noah. The team had already made the offer previously for Howard. Now obviously Noah doesn't score like Howard but no one works harder than him defensively or to grab a rebound.
That's why I said you'd have to assume someone(s) would be gone. Let's hypothesize and say Noah's gone if they get Howard: A lineup of Howard, Boozer, Deng, Rose and 'whoever' at shooting guard is still one hell of a lineup. Howard will give you 13 rebounds and 3 blocks, along with 20 points. He automatically adds another dynamic to the Bulls offense that they didn't have before, and that's a dominant post presence. No he's not the hustle player that Noah is, but it's a no-brainer that Howard's presence( instead of Noah) upgrades that Bulls frontline overall.

Heck, Noah is a valuable commodity: trading him would land them some decent talent. Trade off Boozer too while they're at it( don't know who would want to take on his salary, mind you), and start Howard, Taj Gibson, Deng( one HELL of a defensive frontline), Rose, and see if they can net a few more wing scorers by trading away Noah and Boozer. But really, a Howard-Rose combo is potentially lightning in a bottle.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:34 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,048,864 times
Quote:

yeah, LeBron was "Clutch" against the Celtics and the Bulls in the playoffs last year but he completely choked against the Mavericks, he looked scared

Last edited by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople; 10-18-2011 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,440,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
Psh, that is all kinds of pathetic. So you watch basketball just because you hate one team? Congrats, you are just as bad as a bandwagon Laker fan. Secondly, how can you have TWO east teams when they can only play ONE of them in the finals? How about you have a favorite team which has little to do with the Lakers and still hate the Lakers.

Lastly, the Celtics and Spurs are done for a good while being title contenders. I've been saying this since the playoffs ended; Lakers, Celtics, and Spurs all finally showed their ages and will need serious remodeling to keep up with young teams like the Thunder, Bulls, and to a lesser degree Heat. If the Heat don't win again this following year (whenever that'll be), they are going to redo the team.

If anything, a shorten season helps the Mavs way more than any other team. They could possibly repeat because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball