Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:13 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,423 times

Advertisements

so Success breeds Success, is that why the Lakers have always managed to stay relevant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
so Success breeds Success, is that why the Lakers have always managed to stay relevant?
They face a big transition period right now as Kobe is on the decline and Harper is near the end of his career and Bynum has chronic health issues.

Not to mention the departure of Phil Jackson.

This is just a REALLY fascinating crossroads for the Lakers.

P.S. The cap rules have changed A LOT since Shaq went to the Lakers. It somewhat guarantees that the Lakers will be in a bit of a downturn for a while but that doesn't mean they won't at least be a 1st round playoff team....but I personally doubt they will see the finals again in the next 5 years.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They face a big transition period right now as Kobe is on the decline and Harper is near the end of his career and Bynum has chronic health issues.
Fisher? LOL you did that before.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Fisher? LOL you did that before.
AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

Early onset dementia?

Seriously though, Fisher just reminds me of Harper in a number of ways and look a bit alike....even still....I'm losing my marbles.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:36 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Quote:
AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

Early onset dementia?

Seriously though, Fisher just reminds me of Harper in a number of ways and look a bit alike....even still....I'm losing my marbles.
Just messing with ya.. but yeah their roles on the team are fairly similar.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Not to mention the departure of Phil Jackson.

This is just a REALLY fascinating crossroads for the Lakers.

P.S. The cap rules have changed A LOT since Shaq went to the Lakers. It somewhat guarantees that the Lakers will be in a bit of a downturn for a while but that doesn't mean they won't at least be a 1st round playoff team....but I personally doubt they will see the finals again in the next 5 years.
hopefully they have a long-championship drought, because i hate them because of all the fairweather, bandwagoner fans they have

Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
hopefully they have a long-championship drought, because i hate them because of all the fairweather, bandwagoner fans they have
I suspect this will be the case. The ability to just go out and get a Shaq like they once did is a lot tougher in the current environment although it can still happen (ie. Lebron to Miami).

This happens everywhere....it's just the price of the good Lakers tickets and just being in LA exasperates things a bit.

For comparison, when the Bulls were good I would occasionally get tickets (2nd row low balcony center court....very very good tickets.) I would share with relatives often on short notice....my school teacher aunt and hubby dropped everything and drove in 200+ miles to see the Bulls play some scrubs in a regular season match-up. Of course the tickets were $45 TOTAL for the pair.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I suspect this will be the case. The ability to just go out and get a Shaq like they once did is a lot tougher in the current environment although it can still happen (ie. Lebron to Miami).

This happens everywhere....it's just the price of the good Lakers tickets and just being in LA exasperates things a bit.

For comparison, when the Bulls were good I would occasionally get tickets (2nd row low balcony center court....very very good tickets.) I would share with relatives often on short notice....my school teacher aunt and hubby dropped everything and drove in 200+ miles to see the Bulls play some scrubs in a regular season match-up. Of course the tickets were $45 TOTAL for the pair.
people say Miami has Bandwagoners, Fairweather fans, but Miami has never lost an NFL team before, meanwhile L.A. lost 2 NFL teams in the same year and nobody cared

Old 09-13-2011, 02:31 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
The Lakers have been consistent...but it helps that:

* Shaq wanted to go Hollywood (Why didnt he want to go Broadway? Haha)

* Kobe's agent (or somebody) punked a lot of teams into not drafting him, then they punk the Hornets into trading him away

* The Lakers nearly swindled the Grizzlies out of Pau Gasol (I say nearly because Marc Gasol has turned out to be a decent player. The rest of that trade was hot garbage).

* Derek Fisher returned to LA (albeit for a very good reason), but why not the Clippers?

I give the Lakers credit on drafting Andrew Bynum. But remember this is also a team that had Smush Parker start at point for a moment.

Even now, the rumor has Dwight Howard to the Lakers...why not Dwight Howard to...the Nuggets or someone else?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
The Lakers have been consistent...but it helps that:

* Shaq wanted to go Hollywood (Why didnt he want to go Broadway? Haha)

* Kobe's agent (or somebody) punked a lot of teams into not drafting him, then they punk the Hornets into trading him away

* The Lakers nearly swindled the Grizzlies out of Pau Gasol (I say nearly because Marc Gasol has turned out to be a decent player. The rest of that trade was hot garbage).

* Derek Fisher returned to LA (albeit for a very good reason), but why not the Clippers?

I give the Lakers credit on drafting Andrew Bynum. But remember this is also a team that had Smush Parker start at point for a moment.

Even now, the rumor has Dwight Howard to the Lakers...why not Dwight Howard to...the Nuggets or someone else?
Well as long as Dwight Howard joins any team except for the Lakers is fine with me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball