Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are We Going To Get A NBA Season?
A Partial Season 5 29.41%
No season at all (Bring on next year?) 12 70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:33 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times

Advertisements

Just wondering your thoughts on if we are going to get a partial season or no season at all.

Personally, I think we are not going to get a season at all--I think the two sides are still too far apart...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Right now, it appears that we will lose at least quite a few games. Today is supposedly one of the breaking points in the negotiation since the past few days. Many agents now want to de-certify the union and file an anti-trust lawsuit. Not looking good my friend. Also, a letter from Derek Fisher. You can see there is some in-fighting among some of the agents and the union.

Agents Continue Publicity Blitz Bang Drum Of Legal Fight - RealGM Wiretap

Blame Stern if push comes to shove in NBA talks - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Fish letter:

Fisher Sends Letter Of His Own To Players - RealGM Wiretap

Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Yeah, this sucks. My interest in the NBA was really high last year, I felt the product was at it's highest it had been in a long time. Annoying.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:48 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
What?? Does this mean I won't get to watch the Wizards lose game after game after game??! Oh god no!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
This is majorly depressing.

FWIW the players are in bad bad shape on this one. Really, they get 50+% of the revenue and have expenses of ZERO. The owners get <50% of the revenue and have to turn around and pay a good chunk of that out. However, some of them get additional benefits like capital gains in the value of the franchise, stadium etc.

The bottom line though is the whole thing is stupid with millionaires squabbling over whom gets a little more and whom gets a little less. An independent arbitrater and accounting firm could easily get to the bottom of the situation and look at what sort of profit or loss the owners are realizing.

They could then do some sort of profit share where after the owners make a 15% ROE or somesuch there is pooling and so forth. It's not THAT hard and it aligns everyones interests in that a rising tide lifts everyones boat.

P.S. The players need to look inward at some of the stunts in the last 5+ years that have hurt the league. (Arenas and what's his face the murderer incident, Iverson...just being Iverson and so forth.) These actions take money from everyones pocket.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
It's amazing how we go from the summer of 2010, with the free agent frenzy headlined by 'Where will Lebron wind up?'..... to this.

No way we'll get a full season at this stage. Normally around now, exhibition games are underway.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:02 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
It's amazing how we go from the summer of 2010, with the free agent frenzy headlined by 'Where will Lebron wind up?'..... to this.

No way we'll get a full season at this stage. Normally around now, exhibition games are underway.
I think the season is toast. I've never really gone back to MLB after their strike....I started to and then became disgusted by the whole steroid abuse stuff and payroll imbalance and gave up.

I'm not sure at this point how a lost NBA season will affect me.

At this point I'm thinking the players are utter morons.
They are paid millions but have no skin in the game like the owners. The players are the only ones guaranteed "huge profits" and never had to pay in any equity. If the owners were doing well under the old structure then they'd have no strong need to dig their heels in and risk losing the season.

Basically, the NBA has generally been well-run. For Stern and the owners to be taking measures like this I don't see this being some sort of profit grab on top of already good profits.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
At least College Basketball will continue...

I voted No Season. I don't think they agree.

The NBA I think will hurt hard if a whole season goes. The players have the power since other countries' teams/divisions are offering these guys contracts, plus the big name players still have their sponsorship money. The ones that hurt are the NBA non-player staff, the stadiums/communities that they reside in, and of course the fans. Who knows how many will stick around when it returns...

Old 10-05-2011, 02:45 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Last year, the NBA built a lot of momentum...fans were interested in lots of regular season games. I had casual sports fans coming up to me and talking NBA. I think if they strike, they are going to lose a lot of the interest they built last season. They all (owners and players) really need to get their act together.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
I doubt there will be ANY basketball this season. The players have more to lose than the owners other than the top 20 paid stars. Most owners have other businesses that they can live off. The owners that are losing money on their NBA team probably welcome the strike . How about the people that work in the arenas and in the front offices? 30 teams X 500-1000 employees= 15,000-30,000 people out of work and during a terrible economy. How about the businesses that thrive when the season is on? What a domino effect.

-Cheers.-

PS. Wanted to see Tyreke, Cousins and Jimmer play together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball