U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are We Going To Get A NBA Season?
A Partial Season 5 29.41%
No season at all (Bring on next year?) 12 70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:50 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,774,266 times

Advertisements

National commentators are making the interesting point of just how much this is NOT a news story.

Even NPR was talking about NFL labor issues. I barely see anything on ESPN about the NBA now that football has started.

I do think that the MLB chased away a good deal of casual fans with their labor strike. While I think the NBA will still survive even with a lockout (to me NBA is clear leader with the under 35 set) it apparently is going to take a larger hit in revenue and attention than I anticipated.

Heck here in Washington it's all Redskins Redskins Redskins and CAPS now that they're getting started. Honestly Hockey is now the number two draw in the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 07:16 PM

3,967 posts, read 2,521,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
National commentators are making the interesting point of just how much this is NOT a news story.

Even NPR was talking about NFL labor issues. I barely see anything on ESPN about the NBA now that football has started.
I actually noticed that. When the NFL was having labor issues, they would have a reporter stationed outside of wherever they were meeting and seemed to be trying to give us blow by blow details on what was going on.

Conversely, I would barely see a mention on ESPN's Bottom Line of the NBA Labor strife. For awhile there, I didnt even know when the NBA was meeting--much less primary discussion points.

Perhaps I am wrong, but that surely seemed to be my perception...

Old 10-09-2011, 02:10 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,394,597 times
Hi JL and friends who sent me messages wondering about my absence...

I got in a little trouble for some of the comments I was posting in the NBA threads because some of it was confidential info as I have ties to the NBA, and there were reporters jacking my comments and passing them off as "insider" info in their press releases and it was traced back to my comments on this board. So I had to stop posting as I was being closely monitored by those affiliated with the media.

Of course I was sad to see the Lakers loose but the Mavs def deserved to win especially Dirk. I feel like he got what was owed to him in 2006 but I wish Nash could have been there and won with him.

I'm hoping we at least have a partial season...it sucks for the Mavs to have won and its over shadowed by the lockout. Dirk is probably cool with playing in Germany so its probably not that big of a deal to him especially with him being a Vet and now having a ring.

I guess I need to find a NFL team to cheer for smh.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:42 AM

52,172 posts, read 41,971,337 times
Lebron's whole flirting with football idea is making me laugh.

Frankly, I think it's more than a little insulting to the NFL players that mr. highschool football things he could play in the NFL. But hey, he looked good against a bunch of highschoolers that weren't allowed to hit him. ROFLMAO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not taking a side, there is no right or wrong in a negotiation like this. I just feel that the players have A LOT more to lose than the owners and I wish both sides had gone through arbitration and an independant financial audit of the NBA long ago.

I feel bad for all the *little people* that are getting hurt by this fight between the rich guys and the other rich guys. Especially in this economy it's a little galling.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:20 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,377,600 times
Mathguy - LBJ also looked good in that one commercial a few years back in a browns uniform - so it must be true.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 PM

1,632 posts, read 404,656 times
College hoops are great and all, but they don't feel the void. I wish there was some other legitimate professional basketball league out there.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 AM

175 posts, read 360,069 times
I think we'll get a partial season. Right now, it's shaping up a bit like '99, when the abbreviated 50-game season started in February. I think it'll end up being around the same timing for this one. But as of now, the two sides just seem way too far apart for anything to really be agreed to. Hopefully the mediator will help though.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:42 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,290,219 times
I'm pessimistic on the issue. I don't think there will be a season. I think the real issue here is the owners and their inabilitly to get a true revenue sharing agreement in place. That is the real story here. The big money owners want to keep all their extra money to themselves. As a result the the smaller owners are taking a hard line on the players to make up the difference. I think the owners should have spent their summer crafting a revenue sharing plan first. Only after that should they have started negotiations with the players.

And no matter how David Stern wants to spin it only one side has made any concessions. The players have come down from 57% (what they were actually recieving) to 53%. The owners have given back nothing. They have eased up on some ridiculous demands they were never going to get in the first place. But they have not given back anything they were already recieving.

I don't expect any NBA this year and that's bad. College basketball does nothing for me. I guess I'll try to catch some Euroleague games online.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:03 PM

175 posts, read 360,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I'm pessimistic on the issue. I don't think there will be a season. I think the real issue here is the owners and their inabilitly to get a true revenue sharing agreement in place. That is the real story here. The big money owners want to keep all their extra money to themselves. As a result the the smaller owners are taking a hard line on the players to make up the difference. I think the owners should have spent their summer crafting a revenue sharing plan first. Only after that should they have started negotiations with the players.

And no matter how David Stern wants to spin it only one side has made any concessions. The players have come down from 57% (what they were actually recieving) to 53%. The owners have given back nothing. They have eased up on some ridiculous demands they were never going to get in the first place. But they have not given back anything they were already recieving.

I don't expect any NBA this year and that's bad. College basketball does nothing for me. I guess I'll try to catch some Euroleague games online.
It seems the owners felt they got ripped off during the last lockout ('99) so they want some money back. The only way this thing ends soon is if the players give in.

George Cohen (the mediator) knows what he's doing, let's see how long it takes for the two sides to agree (I think it will be quicker than the '99 lockout, which ended in early January).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball