U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:16 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,333,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
This really blows for the fans.

Make a deal and get on with the season.
I agree. Have both sides forgotten who makes it possible for them to make their millions and billions?

The fans will end up as the losers of the lockout - there's a good chance ticket and merchandise prices will increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,894,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I agree 100%. Maybe it's becuase the Bulls were better recently, but my interest was also at the highest it had been in over a decade -
Mine too, and honestly I think its because fans have finally moved beyond Michael Jordan and embraced the current crop of stars, all or most in their primes. Jordan's shadow has loomed large over guys like Lebron, Wade, Kobe, it's nice that these players are now crafting their own legacies( though Kobe seems destined to have his defined by how he compares to Jordan, perhaps because he's the closest in playing style combined with accolades/numbers).

Let's hope for a resolution soon, no basketball this year would SUCK ASS.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 AM

3,971 posts, read 2,525,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The NBA and its players are really shooting themselves in the foot. They just had one of the most interesting seasons in its history with really good competitive balance and some very compelling teams. I know personally my interest level in the NBA was at its highest level since the late 1990s, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. Now they're having this lockout and will have games canceled. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Totally agree. I have been saying this for months, that if they strike that they are all dumb--and yet, here we are.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Is it just me or is there a marked lack of interest about the cancellation. I only hear one or two guys talking about it at work. I live in the Seattle area, where of course the Sonics moved out a couple years ago. Every time the topic comes up in the local papers, reader comments are dominated by 'NBA, go away and stay away.'
I knew that there would be a group of people who would have that exact sentiment--not the kind of thought you want to gain momentum. However, if you are not playing, and people start the "millionaires arguing with billionaires" thought process...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It also seemed like a lot of people were turned off by the Miami super team last year. The NBA IMO has dug itself a massive PR hole and cannot figure out how to stop digging. Somewhere they forgot the game of basketball and became about bling, hot cheerleaders, luxury box seats, and unbridled self-promotion. NBA is in real trouble, IMO.
One can only hope that this doesnt lead to real trouble ever.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:33 AM

3 posts, read 2,408 times
Yeah it is really annoying they canceled the two weeks for season..i was also very excited and looking forward on it.. really sad

Old 10-15-2011, 12:32 PM

1,632 posts, read 405,045 times
We need to interest some of our fellow billionaires in putting a 20-team together in non-NBA markets like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Seattle, St. Louis, Raleigh among others. Because college hoops aren't going to cut it for me.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cash Register View Post
We need to interest some of our fellow billionaires in putting a 20-team together in non-NBA markets like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Seattle, St. Louis, Raleigh among others. Because college hoops aren't going to cut it for me.
Well, I can round up my fellow "hundred-aires", but I dont think players would want to play for that!

Old 10-20-2011, 12:30 PM

52,257 posts, read 42,036,123 times
Well according to the league they lost a combined 300mil last year and I really haven't seen the players solidly refute that.

I think the players are starting to come to the realization that the owners will lose less money with no season....and that 50% of the revenue, while less that the 57-58% they've gotten....is a whole lot more than 0%.

Some of the guys like Magic, Bird etc. that played for MUCH less have got to have some interesting comments. Ooooh where is Barkley?

Old 10-25-2011, 05:24 PM

650 posts, read 1,589,660 times
They just cancelled another 2 weeks!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:17 PM

52,257 posts, read 42,036,123 times
Yep. This season is looking like it's toast.

The player reps etc. look like clowns...not exactly shocking.

Imagine watching professional businessmen and negotiators trying to play basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or