U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2011, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,784 posts, read 23,819,620 times
Reputation: 6195

Advertisements

NBA is really screwing itself up here.

Not only is the season getting butchered up, if played at all, the offseason didn't allow teams to make deals and free agent signings that help increase fan interest.

Stagnant rosters, free agents just hanging out there, no summer rookie league and now a shortened season (if played at all) and barely any preseason to evaluate their talent.

Even though I'm an avid pro basketball fan I'm at the point of saying just go home and let the season die. I decided to get the NHL Center Ice Package, and follow my Flyers much closer than I usually do since I left Philly. In addition, the college hoops season starts up in a bit over a week, and we have a ton of great teams and matchups to watch this winter.

The NBA really is hurting themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 AM
 
52,003 posts, read 41,844,208 times
Reputation: 32450
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
NBA is really screwing itself up here.

Not only is the season getting butchered up, if played at all, the offseason didn't allow teams to make deals and free agent signings that help increase fan interest.

Stagnant rosters, free agents just hanging out there, no summer rookie league and now a shortened season (if played at all) and barely any preseason to evaluate their talent.

Even though I'm an avid pro basketball fan I'm at the point of saying just go home and let the season die. I decided to get the NHL Center Ice Package, and follow my Flyers much closer than I usually do since I left Philly. In addition, the college hoops season starts up in a bit over a week, and we have a ton of great teams and matchups to watch this winter.

The NBA really is hurting themselves.
I think the NBA needs to do more to tie the success of the league DIRECTLY to player pay, maybe bonuses or determining the next years pay share based upon the prior 3 years average revenues?

I mean the owners are ACUTELY aware of the impact of putting butts in seats, increasing viewership and so forth. The players on the other hand have way too many that act like jackasses.

Basically, every time someone pulls something like Gilbert Arenas did they cost the league (owners and players) millions. It would be nice to see a little more peer pressure on guys for hurting the league and everyones financial interests.

Essentially, anything that can be done that aligns the league and players fortunes TOGETHER and transparently is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 11:02 PM
 
18,852 posts, read 31,742,630 times
Reputation: 26119
I think that the players are making way too much money. Fine. End basketball. How much are those "hot shot" players going to make now? I won't miss pro ball, there is college basketball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 12:03 AM
 
3,129 posts, read 5,311,974 times
Reputation: 1588
Screw them all....

First off it shouldn't cost a family $5,000 to freaking go to a game. Its ridiculous. The Owners make a killing.....

Players should make 50-100k a year tops. I love b-ball, I played b-ball but gotdamn its basketball we are talking about.

Sickening....its about the fans and the kids...

Screw them all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 04:42 PM
JL
 
7,355 posts, read 11,892,592 times
Reputation: 7198
Looks like Stern has made an ultimatum for this coming Wednesday. If the players don't accept his proposal that could give them 51%, the future proposals by him will get worse. Players are gonna lose out as expected. No way they're gonna come out with the 52.5% that they were wanting.

Players better take this deal! I think we will know if the season is cancelled or not by the end of this coming week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 01:33 PM
 
313 posts, read 621,373 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Looks like Stern has made an ultimatum for this coming Wednesday. If the players don't accept his proposal that could give them 51%, the future proposals by him will get worse. Players are gonna lose out as expected. No way they're gonna come out with the 52.5% that they were wanting.

Players better take this deal! I think we will know if the season is cancelled or not by the end of this coming week.
The 51% proposal is a farce, the league would have to show 20% growth for that to kick in... will never happen.

The problem with the negotiations up to this point is that the players have yet to realize that the owners have them by the balls. Once they realize this, they will take the best deal they can get and start playing basketball.

I think after the ultimatum this is the closest the players have come to realizing their situation. I predict they will try one last time to get a little more concessions from the owners before they accept a slightly modified proposed deal. Maybe get that 20% growth down to 7% for 51% to kick in... and maybe get them to budge off the mid level exception numbers for luxury taxed teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM
 
52,003 posts, read 41,844,208 times
Reputation: 32450
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2308 View Post
The 51% proposal is a farce, the league would have to show 20% growth for that to kick in... will never happen.

The problem with the negotiations up to this point is that the players have yet to realize that the owners have them by the balls. Once they realize this, they will take the best deal they can get and start playing basketball.

I think after the ultimatum this is the closest the players have come to realizing their situation. I predict they will try one last time to get a little more concessions from the owners before they accept a slightly modified proposed deal. Maybe get that 20% growth down to 7% for 51% to kick in... and maybe get them to budge off the mid level exception numbers for luxury taxed teams.
^^^^Excellent post.

The players, their representation and so forth have been alternating between disorganized and delusional.

Sounds like they are getting a better grip on reality finally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 AM
 
229 posts, read 170,591 times
Reputation: 101
This is getting flat out embarrasing. Players/employees should not be taking home as much money as the owner/boss. Make max offer of 60/40 split, every day a regular season game is not played the split percentage goes down by 1. Once it gets to 80/20, start harshening the free agent rules. In the meantime sign janitors to 1 game contracts and have them wear giant t-rex outfits and use beachballs to play. Good PR for the owners.

Players have no leverage and should just suck it up and take the 51/49 split.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Lake Arlington Heights, IL
5,481 posts, read 10,407,169 times
Reputation: 2794
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Screw them all....

First off it shouldn't cost a family $5,000 to freaking go to a game. Its ridiculous. The Owners make a killing.....

Players should make 50-100k a year tops. I love b-ball, I played b-ball but gotdamn its basketball we are talking about.

Sickening....its about the fans and the kids...

Screw them all
I agree except for the 50-100K part. Granted, making 10MIL a year is exorbitant, but if you limit the earnings of the best of the best in any career then you might as well call it communism, comrade. If you want parity between high income and low income teams adopt the NHL or NFL model and have minimum and maximum team salary requirements with hard caps and bottoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2011, 02:32 PM
 
52,003 posts, read 41,844,208 times
Reputation: 32450
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I agree except for the 50-100K part. Granted, making 10MIL a year is exorbitant, but if you limit the earnings of the best of the best in any career then you might as well call it communism, comrade. If you want parity between high income and low income teams adopt the NHL or NFL model and have minimum and maximum team salary requirements with hard caps and bottoms.
Actually, the NBA cap is fairly *hard* it's just that there is a mismatch between the base pay and the pay after built in increases. This makes the payrolls look different if you look at an individual year.

Bottom line is that spending on players is not an issue in the NBA like it is in baseball. They are much much closer to the NFL\NHL models.

I have no issue with basketball players which are entertainers after all getting whatever fair market value they can acheive. They are just getting a dose of economic reality but they aren't exactly going to miss any meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top