U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,289,187 times

Advertisements

Off the top the Lakers, Spurs, and Celtics. All three teams are anchored by aging star players. There is only so much time left for the star players on each team.

Miami would be affected as well. They will be near the top of the heap for the next few years. A lost season could literally be a lost championship for them. Imagine LeBron have three championships at the end of his career. Everyone would wonder if he would have won a fourth had he not lost a season. Plus, the threshold for success in Miami is multiple titles. Any season lost is costly to their legacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 02:34 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,052,678 times
hopefully the Lakers

Old 10-20-2011, 02:54 PM

52,114 posts, read 41,928,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
it seems like grant hill doesn't age. he's been in the league since i was in the 4th grade; I'm 27 now.
Well, when you figure in all the games he has missed to injury over the years he doesn't have as much mileage on those legs.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:58 PM

Celtics - aging but perhaps already in decline
Lakers - not really, they already jumped the Shark and a year off I think moves Luke Waltons contract off the cap.
Spurs - not so much, they are already in decline.

That leaves the big 2.
1) Mavericks. Older veteran roster on a roll, a lost season is lost momentum and age on Dirk etc.
2) Miami - they have holes and a shrunken cap kills their ability to wheel and deal. A year off is one less year they have to continue to gel and when you have a finals calibre squad NOTHING GOOD can come from a missed season. ever.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:49 PM

1,742 posts, read 5,009,037 times
Kobe and Bynum have dealt with some injuries, so this just gives them more time to heal up. Hopefully we atleast get a 50 game season.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Kobe and Bynum have dealt with some injuries, so this just gives them more time to heal up. Hopefully we atleast get a 50 game season.
Kobe isn't getting any younger. This is of course news to anyone younger than 25 that hasn't seen it happen yet. He is getting worse each year now. Deal with it.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 AM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,908,987 times
Lakers will be most affected with their window for a title closing..if not closed already. Same for Celtics though Rondo running the show helps them quite a bit....

On a different note, any team wanting Steve Nash could get him on the market w/o having to trade their assets for him since his free agency starts after this season. That is a good thing for any team wanting him.

Last edited by JL; 10-21-2011 at 09:07 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Lakers will be most affected with their window for a title closing..if not closed already.

On a different note, any team wanting Steve Nash could get him on the market w/o having to trade their assets for him since his free agency starts after this season. That is a good thing for any team wanting him.
Could you imagine having nash coming in as a 6th man for some scoring punch and to spread the floor? Then teams couldnt really expose his defense much. I'm thinking specifically of teams where spreading the floor would be huge. OKC, Miami etc.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:05 AM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,908,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Could you imagine having nash coming in as a 6th man for some scoring punch and to spread the floor? Then teams couldnt really expose his defense much. I'm thinking specifically of teams where spreading the floor would be huge. OKC, Miami etc.
Yeah, I know. OKC, Miami are probably salivating at the chance to get him. I don't think money would be an issue for him either from what i see in his personality...at least from what i've seen. He would probably take mid-level if there still is one or maybe veterans minimum to play for a contender. Keep in mind that he is recently divorced, so not sure how much his ex wants in the settlement. This could be put in play...

Old 10-21-2011, 11:02 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,374,006 times
Yuck, Steve Nash in Miami would make them slightly less hatable. So I say no to that move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or