U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,371,163 times

Advertisements

Per ESPN, LBJ, Melo and CP backed out, and Durant is also wavering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,312,879 times
Meh. The season is already to long, especially the playoffs, and there are too many second division teams that make it to the post season.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:58 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,073,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Greedy team owners?

The players are getting around 58% of the revenue and pay none of the expenses.

I've yet to see anyone solidly refute that the league on average is losing money now.

Oh well, I guess they can just not play and let the owners suffer through not getting 42% and having to pay for all the costs while the players lose 58% of the revenue. Hmmmmmmm.....I wonder who is going to lose the most.
I think you've seen it. I know anyone who has followed the issues has...
NBA labor talks: Is the league really losing money? - ESPN

Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 PM

52,097 posts, read 41,892,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I think you've seen it. I know anyone who has followed the issues has...
NBA labor talks: Is the league really losing money? - ESPN
That article doesn't refute that the league is losing money right now.

Hunter is merely trying to downplay the MAGNITUDE of the losses by ignoring pesky things like oh.....interest.

Ooooopsy.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That article doesn't refute that the league is losing money right now.

Hunter is merely trying to downplay the MAGNITUDE of the losses by ignoring pesky things like oh.....interest.

Ooooopsy.
Try things like teams depreciating assets that don't really exists and then claiming they lost money... Yea, I'm sure the players haven't drank the owners koolaid.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,328,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
if this ends up being a success, i wouldn't say the players forming there own league would be completely unrealistic.

the owners need the players more then the players need the owners. this isn't like the nfl where you have nowhere else to go. kobe is getting offered millions overseas, and many players have gone overseas.
No, the players need the owners. Without the owners, how can these athletes earn millions of dollars for playing basketball games?

The owners are already billionaires who have multiple business ventures. They'll take a hit from the lockout but they have other sources of income. Can you say the same about the majority of the players?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
No, the players need the owners. Without the owners, how can these athletes earn millions of dollars for playing basketball games?

The owners are already billionaires who have multiple business ventures. They'll take a hit from the lockout but they have other sources of income. Can you say the same about the majority of the players?
They'll go play in Europe like some already have. And what do you think the point of creating their own league is as is the hypothesis of the OP?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Try things like teams depreciating assets that don't really exists and then claiming they lost money... Yea, I'm sure the players haven't drank the owners koolaid.
The article covers all of that stuff quite nicely.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
They'll go play in Europe like some already have. And what do you think the point of creating their own league is as is the hypothesis of the OP?
I addressed this earlier.

The Euro leagues cannot BEGIN to absorb them and most countries have limits to the number of foreign players on the team. So, if you think Kobe playing in Italy for 1/2 the money and taking the job of some journeyman D-leaguer while 90% of the NBA players sit jobless is a win.....

They can absolutely go do that if they want.

The players and owners are all big-boys with deep pockets and top notch accountants, lawyers etc. advising them as to the reality of the situation.

<shrug>

Old 11-01-2011, 12:15 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,328,081 times
Quote:
Who are the "some" who have already played in Europe?

I've only seen European teams offer the biggest stars, like Kobe, millions to play. What will the rest of the league do?

If you think playing in Europe is so profitable, try reading stories on post-college players who earn thousands a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball