Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:03 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times

Advertisements

if this ends up being a success, i wouldn't say the players forming there own league would be completely unrealistic.

the owners need the players more then the players need the owners. this isn't like the nfl where you have nowhere else to go. kobe is getting offered millions overseas, and many players have gone overseas.

this tour is being financed by outside investors, one of them an atlanta real estate mogul, so its proven that the players can get big time investors to throw money behind them.

if i were the players id make the owners flinch. the smaller markets will cave when they cant fill there arenas. a study showed these arenas lose 1 million in revenue per nba game they lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 PM

21 posts, read 51,476 times
I hope they get it, just because I'd love to see some competitive basketball (on a professional level, not college) again and don't want to miss out on a full year of it because of a bunch of greedy team owners.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:28 PM

297 posts, read 401,281 times
I think the players are helped a lot by the fact that basketball can be played with only 5 players. Add just 3 subs and you are still only at 8 players. Very manageable. Obviously it would not be the same as the NBA with many players not making it into this 'world tour'. However, it is a start and who knows where things would go from there.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:37 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
There was a players league in baseball about 100 years ago.. it didn't last more than a year, maybe 2. Of course, that was 100 years ago.. My question would be, where will they play? I would think that many if not most of the current arenas are under contract with the NBA and they likely would not be available for a players league?!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
The NBA better get their act together, it is seeming more and more that people are not caring too much that they are not playing

Old 10-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The NBA better get their act together, it is seeming more and more that people are not caring too much that they are not playing
the season wouldnt have even begun yet. would start beginning of november. people dont get interested anyways until after the new year.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
if this ends up being a success, i wouldn't say the players forming there own league would be completely unrealistic.

the owners need the players more then the players need the owners. this isn't like the nfl where you have nowhere else to go. kobe is getting offered millions overseas, and many players have gone overseas.

this tour is being financed by outside investors, one of them an atlanta real estate mogul, so its proven that the players can get big time investors to throw money behind them.

if i were the players id make the owners flinch. the smaller markets will cave when they cant fill there arenas. a study showed these arenas lose 1 million in revenue per nba game they lose.
They also don't have to pay 1.2million in expenses per nba game they lose.

I won't watch some lame exhibition tour where they play with all the intensity of an all-star game.

Nice to see though that the big name guys can put on a little tour where they will still make a fraction of the money. You are forgetting though that the middle and lower tier guys are screwed.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjthedon11 View Post
I hope they get it, just because I'd love to see some competitive basketball (on a professional level, not college) again and don't want to miss out on a full year of it because of a bunch of greedy team owners.
Greedy team owners?

The players are getting around 58% of the revenue and pay none of the expenses.

I've yet to see anyone solidly refute that the league on average is losing money now.

Oh well, I guess they can just not play and let the owners suffer through not getting 42% and having to pay for all the costs while the players lose 58% of the revenue. Hmmmmmmm.....I wonder who is going to lose the most.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They also don't have to pay 1.2million in expenses per nba game they lose.

I won't watch some lame exhibition tour where they play with all the intensity of an all-star game.

Nice to see though that the big name guys can put on a little tour where they will still make a fraction of the money. You are forgetting though that the middle and lower tier guys are screwed.
europe/asia/south america.

every nba player can make a living overseas.

college rejects that dont get drafted in the nba go overseas and make 6 figures.

if the players want to, any of them can go overseas and make a great living.

the desire just has to be there.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
europe/asia/south america.

every nba player can make a living overseas.

college rejects that dont get drafted in the nba go overseas and make 6 figures.

if the players want to, any of them can go overseas and make a great living.

the desire just has to be there.
Um, did you know most foreign teams have a limit of around 2 players that cannot be native?

So basically, yeah...the guys making 200k a year in turkey would be screwed. But at least the guys usually making 2mil a year could take their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball