U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:54 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,852,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

I am. This thread is usually dead so I don't visit it much. As to your other thing, the UNC/Duke ending was amazing. I didn't catch the whole game since I watched my team tank (FSU). We are so night and day. I had hope that our team would ride this wave we had been on since the UNC win but our shooting was really poor in the second half of the last night game against BC. Reminded me of some of the earlier losses.
Yeah, I was surprised by the FSU game! Probably just a hicup.. they'll rebound and get back on track. FSU looked amazing against UNC, I could not believe it. As a Carolina fan, I didn't know what to say or think... It was awful to watch! I think FSU is a great team and will go farther than UNC will. I think the poster above has a point about UNC being a name darling, there is NO way they're a top 10 team.. not with that terrible defense. Top 20? Maybe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM

1,493 posts, read 2,213,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Yeah, I was surprised by the FSU game! Probably just a hicup.. they'll rebound and get back on track. FSU looked amazing against UNC, I could not believe it. As a Carolina fan, I didn't know what to say or think... It was awful to watch! I think FSU is a great team and will go farther than UNC will. I think the poster above has a point about UNC being a name darling, there is NO way they're a top 10 team.. not with that terrible defense. Top 20? Maybe!
if that it was true about UNC being a media darling, then they would have been squeezed in the tourney 2 years ago instead of the NIT. Granted, I think the top tier programs do get a little preferential treatment. Regardless, I read an article about how this year UNC is hard to rank. If UNC played to their potential and talent level, there's only about 2 teams that could beat them. They arguably put the most NBA talent on the floor. However, as a diehard UNC fan, it's easy for me to see their one huge problem and that is a lack of a killer insinct, the seemingly inability to go for the throat.

No offense to Duke fans, but there is no way they should have been in a position to win that game. It was plain to see that when the Heels had a lead of about 10 or 12 with 2:30 left they quit playing to win, instead playing not to lose, and that is a no no. If you look back at the past two Nat.Champ teams in '05 and '09, especially '09, they played with a fire and an attitude that no team could match, and when they got you down, they kept you down. This team just doesnt have the mental toughness or the passion to do that, and that is why ultimately this is not a championship team.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
This team just doesnt have the mental toughness or the passion to do that, and that is why ultimately this is not a championship team.
I do agree with you on this point! Their lack of mental toughness translates into really bad defending at times... Especially defending the 3 point shot! But when they do play with energy and toughness, they look amazing!

To be fair though, injuries to McDonald and Strickland have affected this team... They're not very deep at all especially at the PG.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:03 PM

1,493 posts, read 2,213,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I do agree with you on this point! Their lack of mental toughness translates into really bad defending at times... Especially defending the 3 point shot! But when they do play with energy and toughness, they look amazing!

To be fair though, injuries to McDonald and Strickland have affected this team... They're not very deep at all especially at the PG.
I think another thing that contributes to poor perimeter defense is their eagerness to get out and run. They are thinking about the break more than defending the 3 ball.

But yeah, we've missed McDonald some, but Dexter messing that knee up really screwed us.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:15 PM

506 posts, read 1,084,440 times
Yeah, that just happened. 19 points ain't nowhere near enough.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK

Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,758,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Yeah, that just happened. 19 points ain't nowhere near enough.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK
That was awesome. I was amped up until like 3AM after that one.

Best basketball game I have seen in a long time.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:49 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,530,936 times
As a Syracuse fan, I always thought I'd be more excited about being 29-1.

Instead, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:38 PM

9,031 posts, read 16,457,937 times
My Drexel Dragons just finished with the CAA regular season title and are riding the nations 2nd longest win streak.

Really stinks that the start of their season was so poor, with one of their best scorers starting late due to a knee injury and having additional impact come from young players getting their first taste of collegiate action

Night and day difference between those early games and now though - first 10 games it looked like they had never ran an offensive set in their lives ...... looking decent right now though - firmly on the bubble heading into the CAA tournament ..... if they can make it to the CAA championship game and not lose badly in it, I don't see how they can be denied ....... then again, i've thought that before

Old 02-29-2012, 12:54 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,219,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
if that it was true about UNC being a media darling, then they would have been squeezed in the tourney 2 years ago instead of the NIT. Granted, I think the top tier programs do get a little preferential treatment. Regardless, I read an article about how this year UNC is hard to rank. If UNC played to their potential and talent level, there's only about 2 teams that could beat them. They arguably put the most NBA talent on the floor. However, as a diehard UNC fan, it's easy for me to see their one huge problem and that is a lack of a killer insinct, the seemingly inability to go for the throat.

No offense to Duke fans, but there is no way they should have been in a position to win that game. It was plain to see that when the Heels had a lead of about 10 or 12 with 2:30 left they quit playing to win, instead playing not to lose, and that is a no no. If you look back at the past two Nat.Champ teams in '05 and '09, especially '09, they played with a fire and an attitude that no team could match, and when they got you down, they kept you down. This team just doesnt have the mental toughness or the passion to do that, and that is why ultimately this is not a championship team.
How could they have. They started out very highly ranked and lost to everybody. I mean even bias aside, you have to show some credability in awarding bids to the tournament. Heck, I didn't think they deserved to go to the NIT tournament. But that's just me..

Everyone who watches college basketball knows that it's basically NC and Duke every year and then everyone else. Those two programs are like Nortre Dame in football. Doesn't even matter what year or if their good, they will always get showtime on cable...That's just the way it is..Look at Harrison Barnes-cover of Espn the magazine before the season started. Very over-rated. Definately not the best player in college basketball like he's been touted..

Old 03-04-2012, 06:54 AM

North Carolina answered a lot of critics including myself last night!! Ahhh... If only they could play like that ALL the time! Great 18 point win on Duke's home court, can't beat that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or