U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,115,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
That is just dead wrong information. How many national championships does KU have over the last 20 years slick? How many Final Fours?

UNC has had 3 national championships during that time (93, 05, 09) and 9 Final Fours... Duke's had 4 but I won't go on defending Duke!

I know you are a UNC hater but numbers don't lie historically and/or over the last 20 years, UNC > KU period. YES, I know KU beat the crap out of UNC in 08 and NO I am still not over it.. but overall, KU has not had the same level of success as UNC or Duke in the last 20 years or ever historically. I won't even mention all the 1st and 2nd round early exits, didn't KU lose to Bucknell one year recently? COME ON MAN!
In 2005, Kansas was a 3 seed when they were bounced in the first round by Bucknell. They followed that up in 2006 with another first round loss, as a four seed to the powerhouse that is Bradley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,848,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
In 2005, Kansas was a 3 seed when they were bounced in the first round by Bucknell. They followed that up in 2006 with another first round loss, as a four seed to the powerhouse that is Bradley.
Oh okay. Couldn't remember when that was but remember it as really screwing up my "bracket" that year. Thank you.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,541,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
No one better than Kansas? Are you sure?

Since 1990...
Kansas:
- 1 National Championship (08) with 5 Final Four (or best) appearances. Given that most seasons, Kansas was a 1 seed, you would expect better results.

UNC:
- 3 National Championships (93,05,09) with 9 Final Four (or best) appearances.

Duke:
- 4 National Championships (91,92,01,10) with 8 Final Four (or best) appearances.

Based on the facts, there are more than just these 2 ACC schools who have done better than Kansas over the last 20 years.
I guess the regular season means nothing then. UNC, Duke have both missed the tourney in the last 20 years. I believe each had one spectacularly bad season. Kansas has not had a down year(19-12 I thinkg) since 1989 when they were on probation. KU's consistency is amazing. To me all those conference titles and #1 seeds mean alot. Yes, they didn't always play to their seed but when you are consistantely a top seed that's going to happen.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,948,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChalk528808 View Post
I guess the regular season means nothing then. UNC, Duke have both missed the tourney in the last 20 years. I believe each had one spectacularly bad season. Kansas has not had a down year(19-12 I thinkg) since 1989 when they were on probation. KU's consistency is amazing. To me all those conference titles and #1 seeds mean alot. Yes, they didn't always play to their seed but when you are consistantely a top seed that's going to happen.
Regular season puts you in the place to succeed. Post season is what is always remembered. Losing to Bucknell first round are things remembered since it was Bucknell first tourney win in history.

Regular season is all relevent to the competition you play. The ACC is herald as the best conference in college basketball. Easily to note that since they have won 5 titles since 2000 (in title game 6 times). Each night teams have to watch out. Kansas, on the other hand, can put it on cruise control for most games once conference play begins. This is why I believe they have struggled each tourney season. No offense but I typically don't pick you guys past round 2 (based on history alone).

As for your conference titles, see paragraph above. They only matter between in-conference rivals for bragging rights, esp when not at the same level as say the ACC or Big East or Big 10. Gonzaga has won a bunch of the WCC titles (in dominant fashion). Yet, would you put their conference titles at the same level, even though the Bulldogs have never gone farther than 1 time (99 - elite eight) past sweet 16?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:50 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,528,692 times
UConn is a little more erratic than Kansas, but they've won three titles during the last thirteen seasons.

Over the last fifteen years, I would take Michigan State over Kansas. They're a more consistent tourney team.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post

Over the last fifteen years, I would take Michigan State over Kansas. They're a more consistent tourney team.
Can't argue with that... Michigan State BRINGS it every March! Tom Izzo is a great coach. He's not only great at X's and O's but he's also a great motivator, recruiter and leader, the dude is amazing!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:36 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
That is just dead wrong information. How many national championships does KU have over the last 20 years slick? How many Final Fours?

UNC has had 3 national championships during that time (93, 05, 09) and 9 Final Fours... Duke's had 4 but I won't go on defending Duke!

I know you are a UNC hater but numbers don't lie historically and/or over the last 20 years, UNC > KU period. YES, I know KU beat the crap out of UNC in 08 and NO I am still not over it.. but overall, KU has not had the same level of success as UNC or Duke in the last 20 years or ever historically. I won't even mention all the 1st and 2nd round early exits, didn't KU lose to Bucknell one year recently? COME ON MAN!
There is more to a college basketball season than the last two games of the season. You cannot just ignore that. There is not another team in college basketball that has played in every NCAA tournament the last 20 years. There is not another team in college basketball that has won as many conference titles in the last 20 years including a recent streak of 8 straight in one of the best conferences in the country. I dont believe there is another team with as many conference tournament titles including 6 of the last 7. No other team has had the consistency of greatness over the last 20 years.

Not better historically? You better check that all-time wins list and get back to me.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:47 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Regular season is all relevent to the competition you play. The ACC is herald as the best conference in college basketball. Easily to note that since they have won 5 titles since 2000 (in title game 6 times). Each night teams have to watch out. Kansas, on the other hand, can put it on cruise control for most games once conference play begins. This is why I believe they have struggled each tourney season. No offense but I typically don't pick you guys past round 2 (based on history alone).
Are you smoking crack?

The ACC is herald as the best conference in college basketball? Not in my world. The last few years, the Big East has been the best conference in college basketball. The best conference in college basketball switches between the ACC, Big East, Big 10, and Big 12. The Pac 10 even had some time up top a few years ago.

Cruise control? The Big 12 has had three teams in the Top 10 pretty much all season and 5 in the Top 25 and this is a down year for the conference. Probably the weakest the conference has been in years and they still had 20% of the Top 25 for a good chunk of the season. Cruise control? Wow.... Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Texas, and Oklahoma State which are usually all good to very good to sometimes excellent were all **** this year. Usually the Big 12 has 8 to 9 teams that are either in the tournament or just left out. Cruise Control? Are you fvcking kidding me? Do you even watch college basketball? ACC is herald as the best conference? Maybe in your secluded little world but not in the one I live in. Sure, they have the upper hand some seasons just as the Big 12 has theirs. You need to get out of your little ACC bias cloud and come to reality. On top of that, the two weakest basketball programs in the conference left this last season leaving the conference in harder to win than before.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
There is more to a college basketball season than the last two games of the season. You cannot just ignore that. There is not another team in college basketball that has played in every NCAA tournament the last 20 years. There is not another team in college basketball that has won as many conference titles in the last 20 years including a recent streak of 8 straight in one of the best conferences in the country. I dont believe there is another team with as many conference tournament titles including 6 of the last 7. No other team has had the consistency of greatness over the last 20 years.

Not better historically? You better check that all-time wins list and get back to me.
You are big on division titles because that suits your arguement. It's all about national championships, that's what every team in every sport plays for, a national championship period. And Big 12 is NOT "one of the best conferences in the country" in college basketball, the ACC, Big East and Big Ten would have something to say about that. Other than Kansas and Texas, what other program has consistently won in the Big 12?

I am aware of the "all-time wins" list, here's the top 4:

1- Kentucky: 2052 Wins, 647 Losses, Winning Percentage= .760
2- Kansas: 2038 Wins, 799 Losses, Winning Percentage= .718
3- North Carolina: 2033 Wins, 728 Losses, Winning Percentage= .736
4- Duke: 1944 Wins, 827 Losses, Winning Percentage= .702

Kansas has 5 more wins than UNC; however, UNC's winning percentage is 0.736 vs. Kansas' 0.718. Kansas has had 71 more losses! Then you look at National Championships and Final Four appearances:

North Carolina = 5 National Championships (tied 3rd all time), 18 Final Four appearances (tied 1st all time with UCLA)
Kansas= 3 National Championships (tied 5th all time), 13 Final Four appearances (5th all time)

The stats above tell me that Kansas historically has not been more successful than North Carolina. The case for the last 20 years is even stronger than all time.

You are a Tar Heel hater, that's the only reason you'd call Kansas more successful than North Carolina. Let your excessive "Homerism" go a little and then make the call. Or let a non KU, non UNC fan on here look at these stats and make the call.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Are you smoking crack?

The ACC is herald as the best conference in college basketball? Not in my world. The last few years, the Big East has been the best conference in college basketball. The best conference in college basketball switches between the ACC, Big East, Big 10, and Big 12. The Pac 10 even had some time up top a few years ago.

Cruise control? The Big 12 has had three teams in the Top 10 pretty much all season and 5 in the Top 25 and this is a down year for the conference. Probably the weakest the conference has been in years and they still had 20% of the Top 25 for a good chunk of the season. Cruise control? Wow.... Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Texas, and Oklahoma State which are usually all good to very good to sometimes excellent were all **** this year. Usually the Big 12 has 8 to 9 teams that are either in the tournament or just left out. Cruise Control? Are you fvcking kidding me? Do you even watch college basketball? ACC is herald as the best conference? Maybe in your secluded little world but not in the one I live in. Sure, they have the upper hand some seasons just as the Big 12 has theirs. You need to get out of your little ACC bias cloud and come to reality. On top of that, the two weakest basketball programs in the conference left this last season leaving the conference in harder to win than before.
Hey pot, this is kettle... how are you doing?

You must be the one smoking the crack. Go back and look up all Final Four teams from the last 20 years and tell me how the ACC stacks up against the Big 12.... While you're at it, look up the two teams in the national championship game in the last 20 years and tell me how the ACC stacks up against the Big 12... While at it, look up the national champions from the last 20 years and tell me how the ACC stacks up against the Big 12...

Let me help you out, since 1991, 18 ACC teams have made it to the Final Four vs. 8 teams in the Big 12. The ACC has won the national championship 8 times vs. ONE time by the Big 12. No other team than Kansas has won the national championship since 1991.

You got a big Kansas/Big 12 bias cloud over your head!

Last edited by X-Greensboro Resident; 03-09-2012 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or