U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:28 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,274,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The players just want more and more, while certain owners can't even pay the bills, let alone put out a competitive team. How do the players rebut the fact that teams are absurdly in the red? "They're lying." And the players fighting for more money are the ones who already have vast riches; the 25% of the players in the league who hold minimum or barely above the minimum contract are going to have to find another way to feed their families while Lebron sits on a beach drinking Grey Goose and living it up during his time off.
you have me with you until you got to (see bold)
the league minimum salary was $473,604 for the 2010-2011 season. now if you cant feed your family on half a mil for 6-8 months worth of "work" (by work i mean hitting the gym, lifting weights, practicing putting a round ball through a round hoop 10' off the ground) then you need to put down the lobster tails an kobe beef up.

i completely agree the players are ridiculously over paid, and more then 50% of the owners/teams are losing money on them. i am an unapologetic union hater and this is just one more reason why. unions served their purpose and should be done away with now. this lockout is hurting more then the players and the team owners. i read an article this morning that san antonio (my team of choice), not the spurs but the city is expected to lose $90,000,000 if the season is lost. thats what the current economy needs, a push of unemployment, and low sales locally in 30 cities+ because some over paid tall guys want more money. on a side note, i wonder how long before the fed govt gets involved like they do with everything else. congress will use the jobs/revenue losses to take over the league just like GM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 02:35 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Key excerpt.....

Wow. Stern really torched them.

Hunter, Rondo and Fischer are idiots.

Honestly, why the players union doesn't have better leadership is ridiculous. There aren't many rocket scientists in the league but there are some retired guys like Mutumbo and Robinson just to name two that would do a much better job.
now bear in mind those are 2 of the most unselfish players to ever play the game, no way the players want them in charge, that could potentially take money from the greedy.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:43 PM

52,749 posts, read 42,379,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
now bear in mind those are 2 of the most unselfish players to ever play the game, no way the players want them in charge, that could potentially take money from the greedy.
They are also two guys that could have been heart surgeons or electrical engineers had they chosen to do so.

Mutumbo is regarded as being one of the smartest guys to ever play in the NBA if not #1....and Robinson went to the naval academy.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
you have me with you until you got to (see bold)
the league minimum salary was $473,604 for the 2010-2011 season. now if you cant feed your family on half a mil for 6-8 months worth of "work" (by work i mean hitting the gym, lifting weights, practicing putting a round ball through a round hoop 10' off the ground) then you need to put down the lobster tails an kobe beef up.

i completely agree the players are ridiculously over paid, and more then 50% of the owners/teams are losing money on them. i am an unapologetic union hater and this is just one more reason why. unions served their purpose and should be done away with now. this lockout is hurting more then the players and the team owners. i read an article this morning that san antonio (my team of choice), not the spurs but the city is expected to lose $90,000,000 if the season is lost. thats what the current economy needs, a push of unemployment, and low sales locally in 30 cities+ because some over paid tall guys want more money. on a side note, i wonder how long before the fed govt gets involved like they do with everything else. congress will use the jobs/revenue losses to take over the league just like GM.
George Mikan used to have to do card shows etc. to pay the bills in his later years. Shaq paid for the mans funeral as the cost was a financial burden.

One of the best things about the last agreement is that the league strengthened the pensions etc. for the guys that built the league back when it was bus rides and dive hotels.

In this case I strongly support the players having a union since it's a PRIVATE negotiation. I just think that the union not at least letting the players vote on the latest initiative is REALLY bad. In addition, the union management and player reps couldn't run a hotdog stand.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,915,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i wonder if stern tries to go with replacement players? dont know if he can do that or not.
The issue of whether he can or cannot aside, the NBA is a star-driven league. The team is secondary to the individual superstar matchups. For that reason alone, an NBA season with lesser talents would completely flop.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:47 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,968,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The issue of whether he can or cannot aside, the NBA is a star-driven league. The team is secondary to the individual superstar matchups. For that reason alone, an NBA season with lesser talents would completely flop.
Not necessarily. Even lesser talent could have played on the big stage in college. With old superstars gone, new ones would follow. Teams might actually be teams again where you follow your team vs your favorite player. Heck with new players could come new contracts which could help lower cost to attend a game.

To the lockout, the players/owners all of them can go to hell. All the little guys are out of work i.e. concessions, attendents at games, refs, ticket agents, etc. You would think everyone would just look at how MLB took a lockout and just agree on something.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Not necessarily. Even lesser talent could have played on the big stage in college. With old superstars gone, new ones would follow. Teams might actually be teams again where you follow your team vs your favorite player. Heck with new players could come new contracts which could help lower cost to attend a game.
Yes necessarily. You can't go from a league that promotes KOBE VS LEBRON over LAKERS VS MIAMI, to a league of generic no-name players, and expect the same level of fan interest. The sheer number of casuals who go to games or tune in to nationally televised games specifically to see the name players, are lost if you employ a league of generic players. Why do you think Christmas games always feature teams with the biggest names in Basketball? Why don't they feature the Milwaukee Bucks vs the Minnesota Timberwolves as their xmas day marquee, instead of games that feature Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Howard, etc etc and etc? NBA fans, especially casuals and there's tons of them, have vested interest in the individual players. You really can't be serious if you think they're going to tune in to watch some second or third rate less talented no-name substitute.

Whether or not it would go back to being 'team-first' isn't really my point. The NBA is a business, and their business model is to promote individual stars. And while they'd never openly admit it, both the league and the networks prefer the name players on the large market teams like New York, Chicago, Boston, LA, Miami, etc etc. So you'd say, well change the business model, right? Not going to work. Since I know you'll likely disagree, let's put it this way: if the NBA thought replacing the players with no-namers was viable, they'd have said screw the players and gone ahead with a season with generic players. Because it's pretty obvious by now, barring an absolute miracle, than this season is lost.

The one thing I do agree with you on, is they can all go to hell at this point. No NBA season is going to have a serious knock-on effect for cities that get a lot of revenue from their NBA teams. How many sports bars, come February when there's no football or MLB, are going to be feeling the pinch? Well, guess there's always College Hoops and Hockey...

Last edited by Roman77; 11-17-2011 at 01:59 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 02:31 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,968,266 times
I leave it like this...
College Basketball fluctates with new guys every year yet everyone keeps tuning in. Then you have March Madness which features half of teams that no one even follows that happen to feature hardly any one known player. We all know how much revenue that time brings in.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
I leave it like this...
College Basketball fluctates with new guys every year yet everyone keeps tuning in. Then you have March Madness which features half of teams that no one even follows that happen to feature hardly any one known player. We all know how much revenue that time brings in.
That's because the exact opposite happens in college Basketball. The emphasis is on the team, not the player. The dynamics of college Basketball dictate that the Marquee reads DUKE vs NORTH CAROLINA. In the NBA, it's SUPERSTAR 'X' versus SUPERSTAR 'Y'. The difference is rather obvious.

Let me know when David Stern follows your line of thinking and calls in the no-name reserves. There's a reason why NBA stars are among the most recognizable athletes, and its expressly because the NBA pushes their stars in a way other major North American team sports don't. The average casual sports fan may or may not have heard of Sidney Crosby, and likely wouldn't know what he looks like if he walked past them. Kobe Bryant couldn't walk 5 feet down the street without being recognized instantly.

Last edited by Roman77; 11-17-2011 at 04:42 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 AM

Here's to hoping this is just one more last-ditch moronic bluff by the players and the two sides work something out.

We should bump the thread where they were all going to go play overseas. lol.

Why not take the 50/50 deal and build some incentives in for the players?
The owners have fixed and variable expenses to pay out of their 50% so if the league total revenues go up the owners can lower their %s.
This gives incentive to the players whom have NOT been the ambassadors to the league like previous eras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball