Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:40 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times

Advertisements

The small market teams will feel the worst effects of it all. In some markets, the NBA is the only Pro team in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:16 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Turn out the lights...the party's over for 2011-2012. It will be a good thing for certain teams though...knowing that Howard and Nash will be free agents once the next season rolls around though there has been speculation that the 2012-2013 season could partly be in jeopardy with decertification and lawsuits since this can drag out in the courts...hmm.

Btw, i have a friend whose Uncle owns a restaurant just several blocks where the Houston Rockets play. He had to lay off two waiters last week.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,486 times
This is ridiculous. I knew this was going to be way more complicated than the NFL lockout. I miss watching the Cavs, no matter how bad they were last year. And I always liked watching the 10pm start games. Ugh.

I'm not really too up to date with what's going on. Could someone please tell me the main things both sides are so different on that is keeping this whole thing from being resolved?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:51 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
nothing is good about this. people forget about all the people whos income is dependent on the nba, such as ushets, valets, food concessions, not to mention team staff and surrounding neighborhood establishments that will get crushed.

nothing positive about this guys

Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
This is ridiculous. I knew this was going to be way more complicated than the NFL lockout. I miss watching the Cavs, no matter how bad they were last year. And I always liked watching the 10pm start games. Ugh.

I'm not really too up to date with what's going on. Could someone please tell me the main things both sides are so different on that is keeping this whole thing from being resolved?
The short version is that previously the owners got 42% of revenue and the players 58%.

The owners have taken a hard line on going towards something closer to a 50/50 split as they claim they are not doing well financially. The players claim otherwise but have not produced any concrete rebuttals.

There are some other issues but it's mostly about the money split.

The players threated to start some sort of world tour or their own league and also to play overseas but most of that was just bluster and the overseas thing was mostly a big dud too. They've appeared largely disorganized with player reps, agents, players and whatnot often contradicting one another publically. The players look like goofballs but that's what happens when stars with big egos think that because they are so awesome they can do anything.

So, where we are right now is the players are going to lose their 50%+ this year and the owners are going to lose their <=50% but don't have to pay all the operating expenses etc etc.

Both sides are millionaires with top notch legal, financial advisors so this really is a no-brainer in that I have no pity for either side. The players are going to be BY FAR the biggest loser in this scenario though in just strict financial terms.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Key excerpt.....

Quote:
Said Stern in a subsequent interview on ESPN: "The union decided in its infinite wisdom that the proposal would not be presented to membership [for a vote]." Referring to union lawyer Jeffrey Kessler, Stern added ominously: "Obviously Mr. Kessler got his way and we are about to go into the nuclear winter of the NBA."

"If I were a player," Stern continued, "I would be wondering what it is that Billy Hunter just did."
Wow. Stern really torched them.

Hunter, Rondo and Fischer are idiots.

Honestly, why the players union doesn't have better leadership is ridiculous. There aren't many rocket scientists in the league but there are some retired guys like Mutumbo and Robinson just to name two that would do a much better job.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Most in the ownership group will do better this year without a season - makes you wonder why they would own a team if all they're worried about is the bottom line. Then there's the players' stance of going it alone...riiigghhhttt.

On a side note: how 'bout them Mavericks? Champions until somebody knocks 'em off!

Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Most in the ownership group will do better this year without a season - makes you wonder why they would own a team if all they're worried about is the bottom line. Then there's the players' stance of going it alone...riiigghhhttt.

On a side note: how 'bout them Mavericks? Champions until somebody knocks 'em off!
Some teams have NUMEROUS partial owners, they aren't all big deep pockets with a toy like Cuban.

Some are purchased with loans and running a 10mil deficit is a *real* problem.

Franchises fail and are sold in sports, no one wants to be the next Rangers etc.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:54 PM

525 posts, read 899,659 times
This is why I don't watch sports at all. Greed, players that could care less what happens to the teams, I will never be a part of pro sports ever. Okay maybe the superbowl.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:05 PM

525 posts, read 899,659 times
what a bunch of a@@holes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball