U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 05:55 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,882,339 times

Advertisements

I'm expecting an MVP type campaign from Durant this season. Word is he's been working alot on his ballhandling and other aspects of his game during the lockout. Watch out for this guy.

I'm also hearing that the Bulls may be picking up Mcgrady. If ( BIG IF) he can remain somewhat healthy, he could be a good, cheap pickup and give them another playmaker. At this stage, no-one's going to invest big money in him, so he's a relatively low-risk pickup. While the Heat were able to get by last season without much frontcourt size, that's not a good long term recipe and they'll need to address that. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Bulls got past them this year. Boston will be dangerous, but I think their run as serious finals contenders ended in 2010 with the current lot. Too many young greyhound teams out now who've been playing together long enough, I don't think the Celtics can keep up at this stage, though they'll still be a tough out in the playoffs. Be interesting to see how the Grizz are this year, off their strong playoff performance, Rudy Gay will be back in the lineup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 05:57 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,338,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I'm expecting an MVP type campaign from Durant this season. Word is he's been working alot on his ballhandling and other aspects of his game during the lockout. Watch out for this guy.

I'm also hearing that the Bulls may be picking up Mcgrady. If ( BIG IF) he can remain somewhat healthy, he could be a good, cheap pickup and give them another playmaker. At this stage, no-one's going to invest big money in him, so he's a relatively low-risk pickup. While the Heat were able to get by last season without much frontcourt size, that's not a good long term recipe and they'll need to address that. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Bulls got past them this year.
McGrady is old and done. He had back issues in 2003 so what do you expect from him now in 2011?

Old 11-26-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
McGrady is old and done. He had back issues in 2003 so what do you expect from him now in 2011?
If you had watched him last year in Detroit, he actually played well for them. While this is obviously a 'wait and see' thing, there is word that he's 'healthy'. Now, to what extent I don't know, but as for him being old, for perspective he's a year younger than Kobe( though his body has proven to be much more frail).

Having said that, I didn't say he's going to revert to 2003 Tmac, but IF he can remain healthy, he's a decent pickup and can provide minutes at 3 positions. I never said he's going to be a 30 ppg scorer again, only that he could be a decent contributor for 20 minutes a night, in a reserve role not having to carry a team. And most importantly, a team can sign him dirt cheap at this stage. Tmac, despite being physically gifted in his prime, was also a very skilled playmaker and if you saw him last year in Detroit, you'd know that those playmaking skills are still intact.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,202,672 times
I know Durant spent quite a bit of time in San Antonio/Austin working with Tim Duncan. That's all we need, Durant with a post game.

Keep in mind the heat will have a mid level exception for a big, a guy like dalembert? I just don't see anyone getting by them without some bigs and/or some karma

Old 11-26-2011, 06:50 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,202,672 times
Quote:
If you had watched him last year in Detroit, he actually played well for them. While this is obviously a 'wait and see' thing, there is word that he's 'healthy'. Now, to what extent I don't know, but as for him being old, for perspective he's a year younger than Kobe( though his body has proven to be much more frail).

Having said that, I didn't say he's going to revert to 2003 Tmac, but IF he can remain healthy, he's a decent pickup and can provide minutes at 3 positions. I never said he's going to be a 30 ppg scorer again, only that he could be a decent contributor for 20 minutes a night, in a reserve role not having to carry a team. And most importantly, a team can sign him dirt cheap at this stage. Tmac, despite being physically gifted in his prime, was also a very skilled playmaker and if you saw him last year in Detroit, you'd know that those playmaking skills are still intact.
Tracy mcbaby when healthy would be a nasty contributor off the bench on any team. He can score, and defend as well as anyone for short periods. Give him 5 minutes per quarter and he can be deadly and help for any team.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Tracy mcbaby when healthy would be a nasty contributor off the bench on any team. He can score, and defend as well as anyone for short periods. Give him 5 minutes per quarter and he can be deadly and help for any team.
Exactly. If he winds up in Chicago, he can spell Rose, whoever's at the 2-guard, and Deng. If he's in any way relatively healthy, you can do FAR worse than Tmac off the bench. And again I'll stress, he's going for dirt cheap now.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:02 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,338,473 times
Quote:

That's probably because I don't have the league pass and the Pistons were not on national tv at all last season. If they were it's wasn't that often.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That's probably because I don't have the league pass and the Pistons were not on national tv at all last season. If they were it's wasn't that often.
Well take my word for it, Tmac if he can remain healthy( the big key in all this is IF IF IF), he's still very much a viable player, and would be a tremendous asset in a reserve role, even without the athletic explosiveness he once possessed. He could probably average 15, 5 and 5 if he was given 30+ starter minutes, but I'm not sure if his body can handle starter minutes anymore. But in small doses, he can absolutely be effective. And the Bulls could very easily use his playmaking and scoring punch off the bench( if rumors are true that he's headed that way). Hell, even start him and keep his minutes around 24 a night. You mean to tell me he's not an upgrade over what they currently have in Bogans? Come on now...

Here's some clips from last season in Detroit.... you can see that he's not the same athlete. but the feel for the game and the playmaking instincts are there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAdxNVKkndg

Edit: you may want to 'mute' the sound, unless you're ok with that kind of music.

Last edited by Roman77; 11-27-2011 at 07:14 AM..

Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 AM

17,644 posts, read 36,148,786 times
It will be fun to watch the Heat having to watch the Mavericks get their rings for Christmas.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:09 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,163,622 times
[quote=Greg1977;21869149]I'm expecting an MVP type campaign from Durant this season. Word is he's been working alot on his ballhandling and other aspects of his game during the lockout. Watch out for this guy.

I would say the same. I also think the Thunder will bode well w a shorter season.
Basketball Never Stops: KD Paint the Town - YouTube (http://youtu.be/PqaVK0qGqao - broken link)
The video basically shows KD playing around OKC. Whats interesting for me is that the goth church at 45 secs actually really has a crappy court in the parking lot. Ive played there more than a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or