U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:55 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,053,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
comments so far on my local news site are largely 'who cares.' Granted, we did lose our team to a much smaller market a couple of years ago.

I suppose it's good news. But a) how are they only losing 16 games from the schedule when they're missing 2 months? Are they going to increase the frequency of games? Bad idea--more injuries and lesser quality of play. b) Is one month really enough prep time before starting league play? I know that as a runner, it takes me a lot longer than a month of training to peak. But then I am a lot older than an NBA player. Still I'm very skeptical. Again, they're cruising for more injuries, and a lesser quality of play.

Will they offer discounts on tickets to compensate for the lesser quality of play????

About the local news, yes that apathy is why the Supersonics are now the OKC Thunder. And of course there's nothing to care about with the lockout if your city doesn't have a team. Was a good move for the Thunder.
The players(most at least) most likely have been working out. They probably have been practicing together, only rules are no coaches allowed. Maybe their will be sloppy play for a week or 2 but no big deal. I doubt there will be much more injuries.
There will be no discounts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:30 PM

541 posts, read 807,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
comments so far on my local news site are largely 'who cares.' Granted, we did lose our team to a much smaller market a couple of years ago.

I suppose it's good news. But a) how are they only losing 16 games from the schedule when they're missing 2 months? Are they going to increase the frequency of games? Bad idea--more injuries and lesser quality of play. b) Is one month really enough prep time before starting league play? I know that as a runner, it takes me a lot longer than a month of training to peak. But then I am a lot older than an NBA player. Still I'm very skeptical. Again, they're cruising for more injuries, and a lesser quality of play.

Will they offer discounts on tickets to compensate for the lesser quality of play????

I see your point.....But they are athletes.. They should be practicing and working out regardless of no season or not. Dont you think??? Cuz then their huffin and puffin when the season 2012 -13 ...

I dont think they will offer discounts on tickets.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:19 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,285,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
I see your point.....But they are athletes.. They should be practicing and working out regardless of no season or not. Dont you think??? Cuz then their huffin and puffin when the season 2012 -13 ...

I dont think they will offer discounts on tickets.
They have to offer a discount as a way to satisfy the fans.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They have to offer a discount as a way to satisfy the fans.

Well I hate to break it to you ...they probably won't. The players just need to get their fat butts back into shape. They should be already working out to begin with,

Old 11-27-2011, 07:42 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
Well I hate to break it to you ...they probably won't. The players just need to get their fat butts back into shape. They should be already working out to begin with,
You watch and see. When you are coming off strike you have to offer the fans a nice little something to say we are sorry for the inconvience

Old 11-27-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
You watch and see. When you are coming off strike you have to offer the fans a nice little something to say we are sorry for the inconvience
YUP you are right! But they are stupid and inconsiderate so no.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:07 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,194,022 times
Quote:
They didn't in 1998-99 and they will not now. They realize they lost some fans regardless of discount, and most will watch at regular price anyway. It's not good business to offer any more discount then MAYBE a game or 2.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:31 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,266,872 times
2011-2012 NBA schedule details leak: It’s a brick… house | ProBasketballTalk

This writer says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMoore
So you’ve got players out of shape coming into a shortened schedule, playing three times in three nights and then back at it on limited rest.
Hope you guys like rebounds.
I think the Chicago Bulls could have a leg up this season since they have a very deep front line with Noah, Asik, Boozer, Gibson, Kurt Thomas, and Deng. That's a lot of big bodies, and when you're playing so many back-to-backs, that's got to give them an edge. Maybe the Bulls will finally win a post-Jordan title this year.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:41 AM

2,423 posts, read 3,140,928 times
Now, will the fans forgive the NBA and go to games?

-Cheers.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Now, will the fans forgive the NBA and go to games?

-Cheers.
Nobody in this city is going to 76ers games this season-LOL They are the only team in the city that is so far away from being a champion contender that people in this city don't even bother to go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or