U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 01:45 PM

51,946 posts, read 41,806,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
Wow, Dwight Howard has 45 points and 23 rebounds, as the Magic beat the Warriors 117-109. As a sidenote, Dwight shot 21-39 from the free throw line in the game, which is amazing to get that many free throw attempts. If he would've hit 5 more free throws he would've had 50 lol. Magic playing well. Anybody else feel like there isn't any team that is "great", just a lot of good teams instead? Feels very wide open this year for many different teams to make a legit run at the championship.
The problem with the Hack-a-Shaq or Howard strategy is that it's an act of desperation.

Even if the guys shoots 50%, that's like shooting 50% from the field which will win a lot of games AND there are 2 other critical factors.

You cannot guard the perimeter players as tightly because that's 2 free throws and when you do foul it's 2 FT's from someone that is more like a 75% shooter.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 PM

478 posts, read 595,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The problem with the Hack-a-Shaq or Howard strategy is that it's an act of desperation.

Even if the guys shoots 50%, that's like shooting 50% from the field which will win a lot of games AND there are 2 other critical factors.

You cannot guard the perimeter players as tightly because that's 2 free throws and when you do foul it's 2 FT's from someone that is more like a 75% shooter.
Could you just imagine if Dwight was a consistent 65-70% ft shooter though. He'd probably average something close to 40 points and 20 rebounds for a whole season.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:08 AM

167 posts, read 233,851 times
Kobe scores 40+ points for a third consecutive game. Being a Lakers fan is just too much fun.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:23 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,759,593 times
There is some anxiety here in South Florida---The Heaters lost their fourth straight game on the road tonight in Denver.

They will of course probably win 50-53 games in this 66 game season-----but label me a doubter and maybe off kilter a bit. I am beginning to think that maybe they should begin to think about trading Lebron.

If in the package they get a solid center and a consistent spot up shooter, among other parts----they could be really tough and they may play better together.

Chris Bosh was quoted in a magazine article that he is more comfortable with Wade taking the key shots going down the stretch in games and not Lebron. There doesnt appear to be any real conflict between the three, but at times even now, well over a year playing together that it appears unglued at times.

I know several reporters and sports anchors down here have also mentioned possible Lebron scenarios and who knows. James is truly a great talent and athlete----he is fun to watch and you see things from him every night that you dont think are possible-----but if they can maybe in a three way deal wind up with a guy like Howard, Bynum or Bogut in the middle and maybe a faciliator like Rubio with a solid shooter---who knows.

I know I will probably get roasted for these suggestions. I guess when they run off five straight at home all will be good again.

Last edited by jefffla01; 01-14-2012 at 12:33 AM..

Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
There is some anxiety here in South Florida---The Heaters lost their fourth straight game on the road tonight in Denver.

They will of course probably win 50-53 games in this 66 game season-----but label me a doubter and maybe off kilter a bit. I am beginning to think that maybe they should begin to think about trading Lebron.

If in the package they get a solid center and a consistent spot up shooter, among other parts----they could be really tough and they may play better together.

Chris Bosh was quoted in a magazine article that he is more comfortable with Wade taking the key shots going down the stretch in games and not Lebron. There doesnt appear to be any real conflict between the three, but at times even now, well over a year playing together that it appears unglued at times.

I know several reporters and sports anchors down here have also mentioned possible Lebron scenarios and who knows. James is truly a great talent and athlete----he is fun to watch and you see things from him every night that you dont think are possible-----but if they can maybe in a three way deal wind up with a guy like Howard, Bynum or Bogut in the middle and maybe a faciliator like Rubio with a solid shooter---who knows.

I know I will probably get roasted for these suggestions. I guess when they run off five straight at home all will be good again.
The Heat have had various things in the early going including injuries. On top of that, they've clearly shown that they will tinker with line-ups etc. even if it means a meaningless regular season loss hear or there.

All of the well-coached top-notch teams are working towards being ready for the playoffs. PHil Jackson and Popovich among others are well known for coasting\resting and peaking at the end of the season knowing that home court isn't really that critical.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Kobe scores 40+ points for a third consecutive game. Being a Lakers fan is just too much fun.
I'm actually looking forward to see kobe take a few games off this season (and he will) if for no other reason than to see how Bynum looks as more of a focal point.

Bynum is probably the player I've been following more than any other so far this year just because of his huge wildcard factor and extreme curiosity.

What's got me really puzzled is that he was sorta here and there in the playoffs last year and so I'm just not sure what to expect so I'm kinda clearing the slate of his prior play.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:03 PM

651 posts, read 1,583,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Yeah Kobe is tearing it up right now! He must have a lot of extra energy and a clearer head now that wifey's out of the picture. Sure puts a doubt on all those articles about him aging.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:44 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,512,728 times
Is Boston done? I know it is early, but they havent looked good in getting out to this 4-7 start...

Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Is Boston done? I know it is early, but they havent looked good in getting out to this 4-7 start...
Yep. Boston needs to rebuild. Can't feel bad about it though. Better to win some championships and then rebuild then be an eternally decent team. IMO.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:57 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,364,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
They will still make the postseason and get their record above .500 I think. But I agree, they look awful. Even though they made a run against the Bulls Friday night, the Bulls just straight out classed them for 48 minutes on their home court. Garnett is slower and making more mistakes, but still acting like a fool on the court. Rondo is their best player at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball