U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,366,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bump.

Lost 9 of last 10...who will get the blame? Will Coach D get axed?
Melo is an overrated and selfish player. I saw in the box the other night he had 1, yes 1 point. Say what you will about Lebron but he does not turn in performances like that. Pairing him A'Mare with that coach seems so bad in hindsight. I know some people saw this coming all along (math I think you were one of them) but its so painfully obvious how flawed that squad is.

A player like chandler is a good fit for a more complete team. He worked so well I'm Dallas because of their versatile scoring options and have teammates that play defense. He is being wasted in NYC

Old 01-29-2012, 09:46 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,881,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Melo is an overrated and selfish player. I saw in the box the other night he had 1, yes 1 point. Say what you will about Lebron but he does not turn in performances like that.
Well that's easy enough....Lebron is FAR and AWAY a superior across the board player. Even on nights where he doesn't have it going offensively (and to be honest, if he can stop 'settling' for range shots and use his athletic advantage and take it to the rim, those nights should be few and far between, which looks like his mentality this year), he can set-up teammates, rebound, play defense.

Melo is a scorer....and that's it. If he has an off-night, he's not doing anything else to any level that will contribute to his team's success. That's why to me, Durant passed him a year or two ago, even though Melo has played alot longer. Durant's not a great defensive player or playmaker yet, but at least he makes the effort defensively. Melo in that regard...... I was hesitant to rank Durant over Melo as recently as 2010, but that ships has sailed. Melo is at best the third best small forward, and hell even RIGHT NOW in a playoff series, I'd call up an aging Paul Pierce first. That guy straight up knows how to play.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:54 AM

Bulls vs Heat at 3:30pm on ABC...the first clash of Eastern conference juggernauts. You guys got your chips and beer ready?

Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,366,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Well that's easy enough....Lebron is FAR and AWAY a superior across the board player. Even on nights where he doesn't have it going offensively (and to be honest, if he can stop 'settling' for range shots and use his athletic advantage and take it to the rim, those nights should be few and far between, which looks like his mentality this year), he can set-up teammates, rebound, play defense.

Melo is a scorer....and that's it. If he has an off-night, he's not doing anything else to any level that will contribute to his team's success. That's why to me, Durant passed him a year or two ago, even though Melo has played alot longer. Durant's not a great defensive player or playmaker yet, but at least he makes the effort defensively. Melo in that regard...... I was hesitant to rank Durant over Melo as recently as 2010, but that ships has sailed. Melo is at best the third best small forward, and hell even RIGHT NOW in a playoff series, I'd call up an aging Paul Pierce first. That guy straight up knows how to play.
Yeah, it's not a fair comparison but one you often hear since they were part of the same draft class, but I agree, that's where the comparison ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Bulls vs Heat at 3:30pm on ABC...the first clash of Eastern conference juggernauts. You guys got your chips and beer ready?
Augh, wayyyy too much beer last night, but I'll be watching that's for damn sure.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:32 AM
JL

7,354 posts, read 11,888,807 times
Knicks are horrible...i knew even before last night's game that they weren't that good, but losing to a mediocre/ slightly a bit above avg Rockets team.....not a good sign for DAntoni. I think he gets canned soon unless some miraculous turnaround happens. They have no defense at all and shoot too many 3s. Anyone think JVG would be their next coach if DAntoni gets fired?

Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 AM

I must admit I called it wrong, I figured they were at least a 5-6 seed( behind Miami, Chicago,Orlando,Atlanta), but looks like they're in freefall mode. D'Antoni will be out of there before season's end. Or maybe since the season is shortened they'll just let it ride out, and make coaching changes in the off-season....

Old 01-29-2012, 11:52 AM

51,993 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Melo is an overrated and selfish player. I saw in the box the other night he had 1, yes 1 point. Say what you will about Lebron but he does not turn in performances like that. Pairing him A'Mare with that coach seems so bad in hindsight. I know some people saw this coming all along (math I think you were one of them) but its so painfully obvious how flawed that squad is.

A player like chandler is a good fit for a more complete team. He worked so well I'm Dallas because of their versatile scoring options and have teammates that play defense. He is being wasted in NYC
We could probably find some of the old threads when they were getting Carmelo and bump them but they are playing worse than I anticipated. However, they are way better than they were.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:04 PM

LeBron James jumps over John Lucas for alley-oop: Chicago Bulls at Miami Heat - YouTube

Wow.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:19 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,427,921 times
Sick play but the one with Vince Carter jumping over a 7 foot Greek guy and dunk it in a olympic game was better.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Sick play but the one with Vince Carter jumping over a 7 foot Greek guy and dunk it in a olympic game was better.
True but I was mainly looking at the fact that Lebron's head was literally rim-level and his arm so far over the rim, he basically dunked DOWN on the basket.

Crazy athleticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball