U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,366,040 times

Advertisements

I edited some posts and deleted some others.

Back to your regularly scheduled basketball discussion....

I think I have Parker in or very close to my top 5 PGs. The NBA is super deep though with point guards right now, I guess that compensates for the lack of big men. I have to wonder if this is due to the player crop produced in this particular generation, or a greater shift of how the game is played. Maybe the big man is a dying breed, maybe it was just a crappy time for centers. We'll see.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 PM

51,991 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I edited some posts and deleted some others.

Back to your regularly scheduled basketball discussion....

I think I have Parker in or very close to my top 5 PGs. The NBA is super deep though with point guards right now, I guess that compensates for the lack of big men. I have to wonder if this is due to the player crop produced in this particular generation, or a greater shift of how the game is played. Maybe the big man is a dying breed, maybe it was just a crappy time for centers. We'll see.
It's both. The rules have opened up things for the guards....but seriously, for 10-15 years there we had an abnormally impressive group of centers.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:47 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,881,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's both. The rules have opened up things for the guards....but seriously, for 10-15 years there we had an abnormally impressive group of centers.
The game is most definitely perimeter-oriented now. Also, you had guys like Cliff Robinson, Kevin Garnett, Rasheed Wallace, Dirk Nowitzki and others who came along and said 'Hey, just because we're 7 feet doesn't mean we can't learn to shoot or dribble like a guard!'.

The game is moving further and further away from the basket, and with that you're seeing fewer 'traditional' centers coming along. I'm waiting for the first 7 foot shooting guard. We can't be too far away given how the game has progressed...hell Lebron and Durant are 6'9-6'10 and play the small forward spot. 20 years ago, someone that height was guaranteed to be playing power forward. How long before point guards the size of Magic Johnson become the norm? Only a matter of time.....

Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,366,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The game is most definitely perimeter-oriented now. Also, you had guys like Cliff Robinson, Kevin Garnett, Rasheed Wallace, Dirk Nowitzki and others who came along and said 'Hey, just because we're 7 feet doesn't mean we can't learn to shoot or dribble like a guard!'.

The game is moving further and further away from the basket, and with that you're seeing fewer 'traditional' centers coming along. I'm waiting for the first 7 foot shooting guard. We can't be too far away given how the game has progressed...hell Lebron and Durant are 6'9-6'10 and play the small forward spot. 20 years ago, someone that height was guaranteed to be playing power forward. How long before point guards the size of Magic Johnson become the norm? Only a matter of time.....
I don't know. Trends tip, you can't project something out for infinite growth. I agree with trends changing in that direction, but I don't think we will eventually see a team full of 7 footers and above, at least not in this lifetime.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I don't know. Trends tip, you can't project something out for infinite growth. I agree with trends changing in that direction, but I don't think we will eventually see a team full of 7 footers and above, at least not in this lifetime.
Of course there's a cap, but it's clearly evident from the past 15-20 years that a 7 foot shooting guard is an eventuality. I wasn't suggesting that you'd see a starting line-up with an average height of 7 feet, but merely that as the game is being pushed further from the basket, it's only logical that taller players who once made a living in the post, are developing perimeter skills. We didn't just 'suddenly' stop producing great centers without some other factors coming into place, like rule changes that favor perimeter players. A guy like Cliff Robinson, or more famously Kevin Garnett, laid the modern-day blueprint for multi-faceted bigmen who are as comfortable on the perimeter as they are 5 feet from the basket. And really, with the way the rules are now it's advantageous for bigmen to have some degree of perimeter ability. A guy like Andrew Bynum is more or less a throwback, and a dying breed of back to the basket bruisers.

Hell, with a little bit of ball-handling improvement Kevin Durant, who is a legit 6'9 pushing 6'10 and 220 lbs, could start at the 2 guard. And for perspective, that's the same size as Bill Russell.

Only a matter of time, mate.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Of course there's a cap, but it's clearly evident from the past 15-20 years that a 7 foot shooting guard is an eventuality. I wasn't suggesting that you'd see a starting line-up with an average height of 7 feet, but merely that as the game is being pushed further from the basket, it's only logical that taller players who once made a living in the post, are developing perimeter skills. We didn't just 'suddenly' stop producing great centers without some other factors coming into place, like rule changes that favor perimeter players. A guy like Cliff Robinson, or more famously Kevin Garnett, laid the modern-day blueprint for multi-faceted bigmen who are as comfortable on the perimeter as they are 5 feet from the basket. And really, with the way the rules are now it's advantageous for bigmen to have some degree of perimeter ability. A guy like Andrew Bynum is more or less a throwback, and a dying breed of back to the basket bruisers.

Hell, with a little bit of ball-handling improvement Kevin Durant, who is a legit 6'9 pushing 6'10 and 220 lbs, could start at the 2 guard. And for perspective, that's the same size as Bill Russell.

Only a matter of time, mate.
It's not impossible, it just will likely be a rarity IMO. No doubt a guy with the athleticism of say...olajuwon would have possibly run the point very well with enough training.

One challenge is that 7 footers trying to bring the ball up the court against some of the rangey "shorter" players is in for a busy night trying to limit turnovers and it would also be a bit hard on the body for them.

Not to mention the defensive challenges of switches and perimeter rotations as big guys are generally just not nearly as quick.

There have been a number of *brutal* perimeter shooters that were 7-footers over the years. I seem to recall Manute Bol was a pretty dang good shooter from 3pt range and there have been others like Rik Smits and so forth.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's not impossible, it just will likely be a rarity IMO.
Indeed, it wouldn't be the norm, but we'll see it. Heck Dirk is one of the best shooters in the league at 7 feet, it's only a matter of time before someone that size combines that kind of shooting with the handles and athleticism of a 6'6 2-guard. It will be a once a decade type player, but we'll see it in the next decade I predict.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Indeed, it wouldn't be the norm, but we'll see it. Heck Dirk is one of the best shooters in the league at 7 feet, it's only a matter of time before someone that size combines that kind of shooting with the handles and athleticism of a 6'6 2-guard. It will be a once a decade type player, but we'll see it in the next decade I predict.
It will probably be some kid that came up through HS as a PG and early college then has some monster growth spurt ala David Robinson, Pippen etc.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times
Why did the Heat players play such aggressive defense on Lin and not

Baron Davis or Melo?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:11 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,201,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why did the Heat players play such aggressive defense on Lin and not

Baron Davis or Melo?
Looked to me like the heat played pretty aggressive defense on the whole team. BD and melo both had pretty bad games. The whole knocks team was either real bad or the heats defense was pretty tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball