U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-26-2012, 07:04 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
844 posts, read 795,669 times
Reputation: 385

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Latest power rankings

NBA Basketball Power Rankings - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Bulls
Thunder
Spurs
Heat

Are the top four, Im not anyone else really matters.
I don't think it's a stretch to say that one of those four will likely win it all. Having said that I would personally enjoy a San Antonio vs Chicago Finals the most. These two are the best and most balanced teams in the league bar none.

 
Old 03-26-2012, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,286 posts, read 4,089,935 times
Reputation: 2989
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
????????
Youre pimping my competitors

jk this is a relocation site but we aren't supposed to talk about other competitors sites. Im sure its fine though. Im just being a goof.
 
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,286 posts, read 4,089,935 times
Reputation: 2989
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
I don't think it's a stretch to say that one of those four will likely win it all. Having said that I would personally enjoy a San Antonio vs Chicago Finals the most. These two are the best and most balanced teams in the league bar none.
Yeah, I could see any four as well. if/when the spurs meet OKC in the WC playoffs, what edge do you give the spurs (if any)? When I really look into those two team, I think Id give a slight edge to OKC in that series, but not by much.
 
Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 PM
 
Location: spring tx
5,622 posts, read 4,108,015 times
Reputation: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Yeah, I could see any four as well. if/when the spurs meet OKC in the WC playoffs, what edge do you give the spurs (if any)? When I really look into those two team, I think Id give a slight edge to OKC in that series, but not by much.
Why? What is the edge you give okc?
 
Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
844 posts, read 795,669 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Yeah, I could see any four as well. if/when the spurs meet OKC in the WC playoffs, what edge do you give the spurs (if any)? When I really look into those two team, I think Id give a slight edge to OKC in that series, but not by much.
Oh, there is absolutely no doubt San Antonio is the better team. Just look at the lineups. Especially the depth the Spurs possess. In fact outside of the big three for OKC there is little there in the way of quality depth. The Spurs on the other hand are totally stacked from top to bottom. And now with the additions of Diaw and Jack, two quality veterans with much playoff experience, the Spurs are clearly the superior team. The biggest factor should the two teams meet? Veteran, playoff and most importantly Championship experience. And I mean lots of it.

There's no substitute for having been there and done that. And this is one glaring weakness for the superhyped Thunder. As good as they are they've never been to the top. And it's this experience that will help San Antonio prevail over the Thunder and the Heat or Bulls. Should they meet.
 
Old 03-26-2012, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,286 posts, read 4,089,935 times
Reputation: 2989
Both teams are deep, but OKC will have the best player on the floor. Overly simplistic, yes but I think that when you have two even teams, especially two deep teams that will make the difference. I might be biased because I saw my bulls, who have a better team than the heat overall, as far as depth goes, lose to Miami because lebron was unstoppable.

Also, vegas has them at better odds right now. That always sways me as well
 
Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,286 posts, read 4,089,935 times
Reputation: 2989
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Oh, there is absolutely no doubt San Antonio is the better team. Just look at the lineups. Especially the depth the Spurs possess. In fact outside of the big three for OKC there is little there in the way of quality depth. The Spurs on the other hand are totally stacked from top to bottom. And now with the additions of Diaw and Jack, two quality veterans with much playoff experience, the Spurs are clearly the superior team. The biggest factor should the two teams meet? Veteran, playoff and most importantly Championship experience. And I mean lots of it.

There's no substitute for having been there and done that. And this is one glaring weakness for the superhyped Thunder. As good as they are they've never been to the top. And it's this experience that will help San Antonio prevail over the Thunder and the Heat or Bulls. Should they meet.
Well, I don't put any stock in the "been there done that" theory. I know a lot of people do, and thats fine, but I don't think winning anything in the past effects a series as is. Durant is not scared to take a big shot, and whether or not he puts a ring on his finger after the game when he gets home has no bearing in that moment - imo.

Depth, while a good asset does not always translate into playoff success. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the main reason the spurs won their titles their front, say 3-4 four key players? Not the 9th man on the bench?
 
Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
844 posts, read 795,669 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Both teams are deep, but OKC will have the best player on the floor. Overly simplistic, yes but I think that when you have two even teams, especially two deep teams that will make the difference. I might be biased because I saw my bulls, who have a better team than the heat overall, as far as depth goes, lose to Miami because lebron was unstoppable.

Also, vegas has them at better odds right now. That always sways me as well
That's an easy one. Great teams beat one great player every single time throughout history. Sure KD's the best player on the floor all the time but it's the team that surrounds him that is lacking in depth and experience. And the thing is, the Spurs defense is improving on top of everything else for the team. It's even better than when SA defeated OKC twice earlier this season. Case in point:holding Dallas, Nola and Philly to less than 90 points during the recent sweep of the b2b2b games. OKC is doomed.
 
Old 03-26-2012, 07:43 PM
 
Location: spring tx
5,622 posts, read 4,108,015 times
Reputation: 1174
I figured your argument would be durant. Who to date has looked very human vs the spurs. As a mater of fact Leonard has played excellent defense on him by himself. Throw in Jackson guarding him and the spirs chances look much better. Diaw can defend him for spells as well. Green and Manu helpIng out on Westbrook, and the okc offense drops a ton from there. They really don't have the offensive threats after those 2. See the spurs also can go the route of the years they faced the suns with amare/Nash.... Let amare get his, no mater how much but nobody else gets anything. So durant goes off but you stop the other players on the team from getting theirs. No single player can win a series, not wilt, not magic, not Jordan, not Kobe or shaq or lebron or durant. Yes they can lead you to wins but they are not winning a series without help from other players. That's where the spurs have always excelled, and provided the spurs are healthy, I'm not sure any team is as deep.
 
Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
844 posts, read 795,669 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Well, I don't put any stock in the "been there done that" theory. I know a lot of people do, and thats fine, but I don't think winning anything in the past effects a series as is. Durant is not scared to take a big shot, and whether or not he puts a ring on his finger after the game when he gets home has no bearing in that moment - imo.

Depth, while a good asset does not always translate into playoff success. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the main reason the spurs won their titles their front, say 3-4 four key players? Not the 9th man on the bench?
And that is the incredible thing about this current Spurs team. Is that in addition to the veteran core who have won it all numerous times the bench is completely loaded with talent. In fact Pop could go 10 or 11 deep during the upcoming Championship run and would be making good situational decisions all along the way because of the shear talent available to him on the bench.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top