U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 05:16 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,067,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Below Tim Duncan? Yeah, way below Tim Duncan. Oh, and I wouldn't put Bryant in Tim's category either for that matter. Tim has made players around him better for nearly a decade and a half now. He leads by example, never calls out his teammates publicly when they are struggling, and is a terrific locker room presence and overall teammate. Bryant is none of the above. He doesn't make his courtmates better, he's all about himself, whines when he doesn't get his 25 to 30 shots a night and is an annoyingly notorious ballhog. James still has the potential to rise to the caliber of greatness that is Tim Duncan's realm but he's got to learn to lead, control, and win big playoff games before that is a reality.
When I say below I mean below with regards to to basketball. This locker room stuff and being an all around nice guy aren't what I'm talking about.
Kobe and Duncan are neck and neck.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:32 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,894,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i just never know what to think about the rockets, they can play great against some good teams and then flop on the floor like a crappie out of water for bad ones. they might be a tough out for who ever they face in the playoffs, or they may get swept, you just never know which rockets team is going to show up.

i like that they have done it without kevin martin. i have never liked that guy, i think he is so one dimensional that he hurts every team he is on more then he will ever help them.

i def enjoyed checking the scores this AM to see dallas and OKC both losers while rockets where winners.
The condensed season makes very strange games at times....lots of teams showing split personality like Orlando...b2b games only have helped the deeper teams. I'm pretty sure the Rockets will get rid of Martin this offseason. The Rockets are young, but maturing before our eyes. I still believe they will go after Howard during the summer. I really don't think Howard knows where he really wants to go, so i see alot of teams going after him this summer. He keeps changing his mind. It will be another circus again this summer.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:10 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,204,830 times
Can't go after Howard in the summer, he picked up his player option and will be playing in Orlando next year barring a huge trade that I don't see the magic ever making.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:39 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,353,052 times
Sixers giving the Heat a run for their money tonight in Miami. If the Heat lose tonight then they have SERIOUS issues heading into the playoffs.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:59 PM
JL

Quote:
Can't go after Howard in the summer, he picked up his player option and will be playing in Orlando next year barring a huge trade that I don't see the magic ever making.
He picked up his option, but that doesn't mean he can't be traded. The Magic are going to try to add pieces to help him, but if they can't get anyone to take on the bad contracts, they will end up trading him because they don't want to go through the same circus again. When he picked up his option, all that did was buy them some time, but i think we will be traded this coming season either in the summer or during the early part of the season(2012-13). Unless other teams are willing to take on Hedo, Nelson, etc. contracts, i think it will be hard for them to get a few good players to help Dwight. Morey is gonna push hard to get him.

Last edited by JL; 04-03-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 07:36 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,204,830 times
That's just it, rockets don't have any viable trade assets next season. The best they have is martins expiring contract. They could pick up sams option and then trade him too but outside of those 2, the only other 2 players are scolas terrible contract or Lowry, maybe their best player when healthy.

Morey is OK, I repeat OK as a gm but he isn't teaching Hellen Keller how to read, write and speak to get that deal done.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 PM

927 posts, read 1,210,111 times
The Spurs put on a massacre tonight in Cleveland. No surprise there. I guess you could safely say that the return of heavily hyped rookie Kyrie Irving didn't make a bit of difference for the Cavaliers tonight as far as San Antonio was concerned. Anyway it was a nice practice session for the Silver and Black and a good tuneup game for tomorrow night's game in Boston after two days rest. We'll see how Rondo stacks up against Tony and I am especially looking foward to seeing the Duncan/Garnett matchup.

Since the Spurs big three didn't play much in the fourth quarter tonight they should be well rested for the Celtics game. I'm also looking forward to seeing how this revamped and very deep Spurs team does overall against one of the so called elite Eastern teams in their building.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 PM
JL

Quote:
That's just it, rockets don't have any viable trade assets next season. The best they have is martins expiring contract. They could pick up sams option and then trade him too but outside of those 2, the only other 2 players are scolas terrible contract or Lowry, maybe their best player when healthy.

Morey is OK, I repeat OK as a gm but he isn't teaching Hellen Keller how to read, write and speak to get that deal done.
Goran is expiring also, so they can do a sign and trade with him They have lots of good young players which would be included. I don't see Lowry and Patterson being traded, but everyone else is fair game. Scola can still play. He has 3 yrs left after this season, but only 2 yrs are guaranteed. He is the kind of player that i don't see dropping off anytime soon. He is consistent. I actually hope the Rockets don't trade him, but the Magic want not just young players, but some veterans too.

The Bulls and Thunder have the best assets ,but it doesn't appear they will be making a trade for Howard. From previous reports, it seems as if Rose didn't really try to convince Howard to come. Maybe because Rose wants to be the main guy there and feels like the Bulls can win a title w/o Howard. There are no reports of the Thunder being interested either, at least for now. The Lakers won't give up Bynum and Pau, so looks like that possibility is dead plus Howard doesn't want to be like a 2nd option anyway. The only team that probably had the best chance to get Howard was Dallas, but they were hoping that he didn't opt in earlier. That way, they could get him as a free agent, thus not having to give up a bunch of players. Now they might be out of the running. I think the Mavs will get Deron Williams this summer though. The Nets' offers don't seem to interest the Magic too. Dwight is pretty much out there for the taking i think. Lots of teams, including Rockets, are willing to trade for him with no immediate guarantee of an extension, so sort of like a rental...that is a gamble, but Howard would also be giving up alot of money by not re-signing with the team that trades for him...makes him think.

Any team that trades for him better give a good impression though...they better show that they can win.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 PM
JL

The Knicks miss Lin. They are standing around too much just watching Melo shoot. Knicks better find a way to get the other players involved or they could drop out of the playoffs.

Spurs have to be the deepest team right now...wow! Pop and Thibs are fighting each other for COTY.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 PM

927 posts, read 1,210,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
The Knicks miss Lin. They are standing around too much just watching Melo shoot. Knicks better find a way to get the other players involved or they could drop out of the playoffs.
As if it would make any difference if the Knicks made the playoffs or not. Even if New York could somehow manage to sqeak in at the eighth spot they would only be swept away quickly and mercifully by the Bulls. Better to rest Lin now in the hopes that he and the rest of the Knicks can make a better showing next season.

And yes, I would say it's either Pop or Thibs for the coty this year. Incidentally Pop was just awarded the March cotm honor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball