Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times

Advertisements

Yes the mavs will have a ton of room next year BUT are they going to dump terry? He is going to demand 7-10 mil. Will they pick up Carter's 3+ option? They will also likely be on the books for about 2mil from odom. That's potentially 15mil on top of the 41 they are already on the books for. Not to mention a mil to write and azubuke. So that takes them to about 58m already next year and only 8 players. That ton of cap space isn't as big as it looks when you start figuring in the hidden numbers.

They will not have money to Max out dwill and sign anyone else without dropping terry. I would not be surprised if they did drop him, and he either goes to the heat, or the spurs. Likely for less money then the mavs would offer him.

Bottom line mavs have some room but but they are not going anywhere for some time if ever. They are back to being little brother getting beat up by big brother

Old 04-21-2012, 09:26 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
The Spurs are so deep this year, probably one of the deepest teams in recent memory. That was a show of some offensive firepower last nite against Lakers. They will be a tough out in the playoffs if their big 3 stay healthy...and how about old man Duncan playing some decent D on Bynum...pretty much held him to 2 rebounds in the game...wow! Pop removing Blair for the last 2 games was the best thing for the Spurs. The uptempo game from Spurs pretty much negated Laker's defense, thus Lakers couldn't exploit Bynum/Pau's size by settling into their half court defense. TP has drastically improved his jumper. I remember years ago people were saying "if only TP had a jumper, he would be MVP type player"...well

KD is only .1 pt behind Kobe for the scoring title. This is interesting. I wonder if both players are really noticing it. I bet they would say about not caring, but deep down both players want the title. Expect to see some scoring barrage tomorrow between the two when OKC plays Lakers. Lakers also care about the 3rd seed since if they drop to 4th, they will have to face the Grizzlies...definitely not a good 1st round matchup for them.

Howard being out for the season with his back issue and most likely a chunk of the 1st part of next season, it really opens doors for other teams to pursue him. I gotta wonder if he will be the same player though. A herniated disc is no joke. I don't see contenders pursuing him anymore. They won't wait around for a 6-8 month recovery or so along with taking the risk that he might not be the same player vs. what they already have, thus i see no serious contender going after him. Teams that are rebuilding or have nothing to really lose will continue to pursue him. He most likely ruined his chances to play with DWilly by opting in this year cause i don't see DWilly waiting around for him. DWilly is likely going to the Mavs, but they can't afford both unless Marion gets amnestied and Haywood traded for expiring contracts. The Nets still have a chance, but not sure if he wants to go there if DWilly is gone. Howard kinda messed up everything there by opting in 1 more year.

Last edited by JL; 04-21-2012 at 10:00 AM..

Old 04-21-2012, 11:37 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post

KD is only .1 pt behind Kobe for the scoring title. This is interesting. I wonder if both players are really noticing it. I bet they would say about not caring, but deep down both players want the title. Expect to see some scoring barrage tomorrow between the two when OKC plays Lakers. Lakers also care about the 3rd seed since if they drop to 4th, they will have to face the Grizzlies...definitely not a good 1st round matchup for them.
Considering how Bynum has asserted himself offensively in Kobe's absence, we'll see if Kobe rests his body and lets Bynum do the heavy lifting, or if he chucks the last few games of the season to hang onto the scoring title. Frankly, the scoring title should mean more to Durant than Kobe right now. After 16 seasons, 5 titles, and his place firmly entrenched in history, one last scoring title isn't going to enhance his legacy in any way, particularly if it's at the team's expense.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:43 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, it's wierd how people want to count Bynums monster 30 reb. game but last night he had....2....and it never happened or at least doesn't count.

Where are the guys touting sessions as a solid player in the wake of 2/9 shooting for 5 points and 1 assist?

It just seems like we have a lot of Laker fans around here that show up hooting and hollering when things go well and make bold proclamations and then disappear.

I dub it the Laker fan drive-by.

(I know we have some hardcore Laker fans here too, but they understand what I'm saying probably more than anyone.)
Lakers fans deserve to boost up their teams. The Lakers have a long legacy of winning. Get over it. Showtime will always exist.

Dude, Sessions is an effective player. I don't see anybody in this thread calling him a hall of fame player.

Why don't you bring up some of his good stats instead of one bad game?

This isn't just Laker fans.

I remember years ago in this forum when the Lakers were playing the Nuggets in the WCF. I had to put up with so much flack from the Nugget's fans, saying how bad the Lakers defense and offense is.

Once the Lakers beat the Nuggets, the Nuggets fans in this forum disappeared. Some have never come back to ever post anymore.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:47 PM

520 posts, read 730,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, it's wierd how people want to count Bynums monster 30 reb. game but last night he had....2....and it never happened or at least doesn't count.

Where are the guys touting sessions as a solid player in the wake of 2/9 shooting for 5 points and 1 assist?

It just seems like we have a lot of Laker fans around here that show up hooting and hollering when things go well and make bold proclamations and then disappear.

I dub it the Laker fan drive-by.

(I know we have some hardcore Laker fans here too, but they understand what I'm saying probably more than anyone.)
Count me as one of the guys "touting" Sessions as a solid player. That's because he is a solid player. For the month of April he's averaging 14ppg, around 7 assists per game, shooting 48% overall, and 50% from 3 point range. That's not solid? You mention his 5 point 1 assist game, but ignore that he had 22 points against the Mavs last time the Lakers played them.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:00 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Lakers fans deserve to boost up their teams. The Lakers have a long legacy of winning. Get over it. Showtime will always exist.

I remember years ago in this forum when the Lakers were playing the Nuggets in the WCF. I had to put up with so much flack from the Nugget's fans, saying how bad the Lakers defense and offense is.

Once the Lakers beat the Nuggets, the Nuggets fans in this forum disappeared. Some have never come back to ever post anymore.
I don't think the "legacy of winning" has as much to do with some of what an average laker fan says around most sports boards.

I do have to say it is not just lakers fans though. Being a spurs fan I have to say mavs and suns fans nay be worse. I mean where are the sins fans now? There where so many when amare and Nash where destroying teams in the regular season. Mavs fans tend to run and hide unless they catch a win here or there. Hell they tried to tell the rest of use 4 months ago about how much better the mavs are this year vs last year while the rest of us not wearing the blue colored glasses of a cubanite could see as just completely untrue. Now 99% of mavs fans are gone. (anyone seen little Elmer lately? Slo talked a little smack then proceeded to avoid the subject shortly there after.

Now I try not to go crazy (unlike another spurs fan around here) but even those who would try to tear us down haven't had much to say over the last month or so.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I don't think the "legacy of winning" has as much to do with some of what an average laker fan says around most sports boards.

I do have to say it is not just lakers fans though. Being a spurs fan I have to say mavs and suns fans nay be worse. I mean where are the sins fans now? There where so many when amare and Nash where destroying teams in the regular season. Mavs fans tend to run and hide unless they catch a win here or there. Hell they tried to tell the rest of use 4 months ago about how much better the mavs are this year vs last year while the rest of us not wearing the blue colored glasses of a cubanite could see as just completely untrue. Now 99% of mavs fans are gone. (anyone seen little Elmer lately? Slo talked a little smack then proceeded to avoid the subject shortly there after.

Now I try not to go crazy (unlike another spurs fan around here) but even those who would try to tear us down haven't had much to say over the last month or so.
Yeah and some of these fans who run away when their teams are not doing well are not true sports fans.

What happened to all of those Nuggets fans from a few years ago who disappeared completely when the Nuggets lost against the Lakers in the WCF?

I am very disappointed in the Lakers in how they let the Mavs sweep them and now they are still not looking good but I just enjoy watching basketball.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:17 PM

520 posts, read 730,748 times
I think being a Cavs fan makes it easier for me to look at all the rest of the teams un-biasedly. When LeBron was with the Cavs, they constantly won games. They had seasons of 50 wins, 50 wins, 45 wins, 66 wins, and 61 wins. They always had moderate success in the playoffs too, even making it to the finals the one year. After LeBron left, they only won 19 games last year. They've improved this year, having already won 21 games, but they're still one of the worst teams. So when I look at how the Lakers are playing this year, I see a pretty good team. Not great, but not a bad team. I do think the Spurs are the best team in the West right now, with the Thunder being a close second. They still have to win in the playoffs though. I don't think a lot of people thought the Mavs would win the championship last year, and they did. At least I know I didn't expect it.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:18 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Yes the mavs will have a ton of room next year BUT are they going to dump terry? He is going to demand 7-10 mil. Will they pick up Carter's 3+ option? They will also likely be on the books for about 2mil from odom. That's potentially 15mil on top of the 41 they are already on the books for. Not to mention a mil to write and azubuke. So that takes them to about 58m already next year and only 8 players. That ton of cap space isn't as big as it looks when you start figuring in the hidden numbers.

They will not have money to Max out dwill and sign anyone else without dropping terry. I would not be surprised if they did drop him, and he either goes to the heat, or the spurs. Likely for less money then the mavs would offer him.

Bottom line mavs have some room but but they are not going anywhere for some time if ever. They are back to being little brother getting beat up by big brother
Actually, looks like Odom is indicated as a team option (is this an error?) and that leaves them enough $$$ to sign BOTH terry and dwight.

I'm not even remotely a Dallas fan, I really don't care, but they ahve enough room to sign Dwight and re-sign terry. IMO.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:19 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
Count me as one of the guys "touting" Sessions as a solid player. That's because he is a solid player. For the month of April he's averaging 14ppg, around 7 assists per game, shooting 48% overall, and 50% from 3 point range. That's not solid? You mention his 5 point 1 assist game, but ignore that he had 22 points against the Mavs last time the Lakers played them.
I mentioned that only out of the irony of the people touting his 22pt games as proof of how good he is.

I even mentioned that in my post.

Seriously. WTH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball