U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:48 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,126,907 times

Advertisements

I'm sure most of you have read about the Syracuse "cuse" basketball sex scandal that has so far cost associate head basketball coach Bernie Fine his job.

I lived in upstate NY for six years and have always been a fan of the program and head coach Jim Boeheim. Seems like for now he's not talking about it. Personally, I'll be very upset and pissed him it comes to light he knew anything about this and kept it silent.

Shades of Penn State for sure. Feel free to share your thoughts and any new information about this on going scandal that you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 06:24 PM

16,522 posts, read 20,966,979 times
As contentious and toxic as the Penn State/Joe Paterno situation has been and is going to get over the next several weeks/months, we have another set of allegations, this time it's college basketball.

I mod pro football on City Data and have been a Denver Bronco fan for decades. Years ago I belonged to one of the fan booster clubs and I was very lucky to meet several players. Amongst them was Floyd Little, an all-american running back from Syracuse who starred there in the mid-1960's. A couple years ago I met up with him after one of his book signings in the Denver area. He always speaks fondly of Syracuse and the Elmira area and has partipated in alumni booster events with the university.

When I think of Syracuse University, I think of a storied history. I think of Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, and head coach Ben Schwarzwalder. I think of their times as NCAA Football National Champions.

And I think of an Elmira who embraced an individual and adopted him as one of their own in an era of the contentious civil rights situation of the late 50's and early 60's. His name? Ernie Davis. Davis was the first African-American to win the Heisman Trophy.

With all the bad press Penn State has gotten over the last couple weeks I only hope the situation at Syracuse doesn't get to this level.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,126,907 times
Wow, good stuff, Double H, I hadn't realized Syracuse produced so many great football players as well.

I have a brother who got his Masters Degree at Syracuse. The university is the centerpiece of the city. Been there many times.

I just hope this doesn't do to the Syracuse basketball program what its done to the Penn State football program. Sadly, when there's so much money and attention given to successful sports programs, they began to believe there's nothing that can touch them.

Coaches and players are treated like deities. We all need to remember they're human beings just like us -- nothing more, nothing less.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 AM

51,893 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
As contentious and toxic as the Penn State/Joe Paterno situation has been and is going to get over the next several weeks/months, we have another set of allegations, this time it's college basketball.

I mod pro football on City Data and have been a Denver Bronco fan for decades. Years ago I belonged to one of the fan booster clubs and I was very lucky to meet several players. Amongst them was Floyd Little, an all-american running back from Syracuse who starred there in the mid-1960's. A couple years ago I met up with him after one of his book signings in the Denver area. He always speaks fondly of Syracuse and the Elmira area and has partipated in alumni booster events with the university.

When I think of Syracuse University, I think of a storied history. I think of Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, and head coach Ben Schwarzwalder. I think of their times as NCAA Football National Champions.

And I think of an Elmira who embraced an individual and adopted him as one of their own in an era of the contentious civil rights situation of the late 50's and early 60's. His name? Ernie Davis. Davis was the first African-American to win the Heisman Trophy.

With all the bad press Penn State has gotten over the last couple weeks I only hope the situation at Syracuse doesn't get to this level.
Good post.

If it turns out the department didn't know that these things happen. If it turns out they knew and overlooked it etc etc. then all hell will break loose.

Just like with various other scandals like with the priests etc. No reasonable person is going to punish an entire school or program for not reasonably knowing. However, if it was covered up then it's even worse than the initial offense because the committer of the crime is obviously sick while the people covering it up are doing so for rational motivations like to protect a lucrative program.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 PM

DEATH PENALTY. Seriously.

Syracuse men’s basketball coach Boeheim apologizes for questioning Fine accusers’ motives - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/syracuse-coach-boeheim-gets-ovation-as-feds-investigate-former-assistant-for-child-sex-abuse/2011/12/02/gIQAgn6LMO_story.html - broken link)

Double H?

I mean first they raped them....then they called them liars without waiting long enough to get the facts....really if the NCAA were not below the conscience of a pimp then I would not even worry about the verdict.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Wow, good stuff, Double H, I hadn't realized Syracuse produced so many great football players as well.

I have a brother who got his Masters Degree at Syracuse. The university is the centerpiece of the city. Been there many times.

I just hope this doesn't do to the Syracuse basketball program what its done to the Penn State football program. Sadly, when there's so much money and attention given to successful sports programs, they began to believe there's nothing that can touch them.

Coaches and players are treated like deities. We all need to remember they're human beings just like us -- nothing more, nothing less.
If that treatment reaches the point where they are allowed free access to rape youngsters.....it seems to be time to reign that treatment in?

Nope. We are a nation of hypocrites and morons with no moral compunction. If our team buys plays and abused drugs for a decade but wins a championship we hold parades and if the NCAA$$ later sanctions them....no big deal. It doesn't wipe away the donations and parades.

Frankly, I think anyone giving a donation to the university that IS NOT A SCUMBAG should put a conditional refund on the donation in case of child rape etc.

The fans are the worst offenders. Get a life.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:38 AM

7,529 posts, read 6,147,431 times
I'm a cuse fan, so I may be a little bit biased but

the accuser came forward twice before and both times the police found no evidence, so on the heals of the Penn State scandel the acouser tries for a 3rd time, which is the reason Boeheim reacted the way he did.

That and Fine was his friend for 40 years

I think Boeheim survives this, provided we don't find any prior knowlege and coverup.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:30 AM

16,522 posts, read 20,966,979 times
I thought when the original allegations came down there would be a firestorm of commentary on here, which is why I made this thread a "sticky."

With only 6 posts on this thread and the fact that the thread is 5 weeks old, I'll "unsticky" this thread.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
I'm a cuse fan, so I may be a little bit biased but

the accuser came forward twice before and both times the police found no evidence, so on the heals of the Penn State scandel the acouser tries for a 3rd time, which is the reason Boeheim reacted the way he did.

That and Fine was his friend for 40 years

I think Boeheim survives this, provided we don't find any prior knowlege and coverup.
Boeheims PUBLIC attack on the guys would get him fired by any school in the country if it weren't a big-time, high-profile program. ie) If he is the volleyball coach at some div 2 school in NY he'd already be at the unemployment line.

His comments will cost syracuse millions in legal fees, settlements and of course....continued bad press.

P.S. there was 2 accusers at the time he made his public comments.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:29 PM

379 posts, read 709,386 times
Interesting that womens teams aren't generally in the news about child abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or