U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,205,971 times
Reputation: 1982

Advertisements

You know, not to hijack your conversation and all but I hear the lakers are considering a third run at cp3

 
Old 12-14-2011, 12:44 PM
 
52,046 posts, read 41,862,229 times
Reputation: 32466
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
You know, not to hijack your conversation and all but I hear the lakers are considering a third run at cp3
Yep. If they offer a decent deal then I suspect that the amount of opposition from the other owners will diminish.

Again, I wonder how the NBA paid for the 300million.

The Hornets HAVE to be losing money and debt servicing tacks onto that so the NBA is in a bit of a tough position here as they need to get NO fixed up, sold and operating in the black.

If they trade Paul that is going to hurt attendance further and make it harder to attract a buyer so it's a tough tough situation all around especially with massively fractured ownership it has to be like herding cats for Stern etc.

I wonder if the NBA is revisiting some previous owners they snubbed like Ellison? Heck, maybe they can get Oprah to buy them and move them somewhere?
 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:22 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,205,971 times
Reputation: 1982
if hey keep CP then he walks this summer and the hornets get nothing in return thus hurting attendance even more. seems the nba is in a make or break it mode with the hornets right now. contraction coming?
 
Old 12-14-2011, 05:31 PM
JL
 
7,355 posts, read 11,896,420 times
Reputation: 7198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Interesting. I know they paid about 300mil for the Hornets and I suspect it was bought by the NBA using loans instead of assessing all the owners. This makes me wonder whom owns the NBA and in what percentages. ie) are the team owners are equal partial owners or does some other party own 50% of the NBA and the owners own the rest etc.

I predict that the Hornets will eventually be moved in order to attract the deep pocket buyer to the right locale....but where?
They probably got the $ under their mattress.......they did complain about losing money last year, so not sure how they were able to come up with that...maybe Stern told each owner to pony up some..i would think the operating costs of the Hornets isn't cheap either...

Btw, CP3 just got traded to the Clippers and it appears Stern and Co. made out like bandits. I think Stern will get GM or Exec of the Year!! ....if he decided to quit his job as commissioner, i think he should become an agent...lol

The Hornets got Gordon, Al Farouq, Kaman, and Minnesota 1st round pick for CP3.

Last edited by JL; 12-14-2011 at 05:41 PM..
 
Old 12-14-2011, 06:13 PM
 
4,399 posts, read 9,068,996 times
Reputation: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
They probably got the $ under their mattress.......they did complain about losing money last year, so not sure how they were able to come up with that...maybe Stern told each owner to pony up some..i would think the operating costs of the Hornets isn't cheap either...

Btw, CP3 just got traded to the Clippers and it appears Stern and Co. made out like bandits. I think Stern will get GM or Exec of the Year!! ....if he decided to quit his job as commissioner, i think he should become an agent...lol

The Hornets got Gordon, Al Farouq, Kaman, and Minnesota 1st round pick for CP3.
And they are giving first round picks too.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_16...-l.a-clippers/
 
Old 12-14-2011, 06:24 PM
 
4,399 posts, read 9,068,996 times
Reputation: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is your bottom line. Sterns BOSSES that also OWN the hornets told him they didn't like the deal. I don't know all their reasons or motivations but it doesn't matter because they own the hornets.
So let me see if I have you right. You think there is nothing wrong with the owners not wanting to veto a trade, not because the trade is bad for the new orleans hornets, but wanting to veto it because its bad for the dallas mavericks or the Boston Celtics etc. I guess it would also be ok if the owners decided to divy up all the players on the hornets as they see fit. After all they own the hornets that's all that matters, they can do what they want. Who cares about whats good for the hornets let the mavericks decide what is good for them.

Michael Jordan: new CBA help; opposed Chris Paul deal with Lakers - NBA - SI.com

Here's Jordan saying the same thing as Gilbert as well.

T here is your bottom line. Sterns BOSSES that also OWN the hornets told him they didn't like the deal. I don't know all their reasons or motivations but it doesn't matter because they own the hornets.
[/quote]
 
Old 12-14-2011, 07:20 PM
 
52,046 posts, read 41,862,229 times
Reputation: 32466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
So let me see if I have you right. You think there is nothing wrong with the owners not wanting to veto a trade, not because the trade is bad for the new orleans hornets, but wanting to veto it because its bad for the dallas mavericks or the Boston Celtics etc. I guess it would also be ok if the owners decided to divy up all the players on the hornets as they see fit. After all they own the hornets that's all that matters, they can do what they want. Who cares about whats good for the hornets let the mavericks decide what is good for them.

Michael Jordan: new CBA help; opposed Chris Paul deal with Lakers - NBA - SI.com

Here's Jordan saying the same thing as Gilbert as well.

T here is your bottom line. Sterns BOSSES that also OWN the hornets told him they didn't like the deal. I don't know all their reasons or motivations but it doesn't matter because they own the hornets.
[/quote]

......and look what the Hornets wound up getting for CP.
a MUCH MUCH MUCH better deal.

I know you still have butt hurt over the Lakers not getting a sweetheart deal but this was a good move for the HORNETS. Seems to me the owners of the hornets did right by them.
 
Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 PM
 
52,046 posts, read 41,862,229 times
Reputation: 32466
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
They probably got the $ under their mattress.......they did complain about losing money last year, so not sure how they were able to come up with that...maybe Stern told each owner to pony up some..i would think the operating costs of the Hornets isn't cheap either...

Btw, CP3 just got traded to the Clippers and it appears Stern and Co. made out like bandits. I think Stern will get GM or Exec of the Year!! ....if he decided to quit his job as commissioner, i think he should become an agent...lol

The Hornets got Gordon, Al Farouq, Kaman, and Minnesota 1st round pick for CP3.
Yep. This was a good move by the Hornets. They actually got value for CP this time around.
 
Old 12-14-2011, 07:25 PM
 
52,046 posts, read 41,862,229 times
Reputation: 32466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
And they are giving first round picks too.
Chris Paul traded to L.A. Clippers - CBS News
Hornets are giving 2nd round picks which are worthless.

They got 2 good starters and a very valuable draft pick.
 
Old 12-14-2011, 07:51 PM
JL
 
7,355 posts, read 11,896,420 times
Reputation: 7198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hornets are giving 2nd round picks which are worthless.

They got 2 good starters and a very valuable draft pick.
Yes, that draft pick is unprotected too and who knows, they could end up with the #1 pick depending on how Minny finishes in the standings. It will be a deep draft next year also.

Gordon is a very good player and potential multiple all-star.....he is borderline all-star i think already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top