U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:31 AM

51,897 posts, read 41,774,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Even if the deal goes forward, CP3 has knee issues, so the question is can he stay health. Kobe has 16 years in the league, does he have any gas left in the tank?
We've had this discussion after the last Laker championship. The consensus among the typical Laker fan is that Kobe would win several more MVP's and titles because he wouldn't be impacted by aging until he got into his 40's.

LOL we should bump that old thread, it was the comparison to Jordan's legacy and Kobe needing more rings, mvps, finals mvps etc.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,362,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We've had this discussion after the last Laker championship. The consensus among the typical Laker fan is that Kobe would win several more MVP's and titles because he wouldn't be impacted by aging until he got into his 40's.

LOL we should bump that old thread, it was the comparison to Jordan's legacy and Kobe needing more rings, mvps, finals mvps etc.
lol, please don't. there was some serious bad posting going on in that thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:21 AM

3,960 posts, read 2,511,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Dan Gilbert's letter to NBA:

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.
This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.
Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.
I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).
I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.
I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?
Please advise….
Dan G.
No matter what time this sent, this is still funny to me--the Washington Generals? Wow...he went there! LOL!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Jordan's "peak" was extended because he had Pippen to be the defensive stopper and he often spent most of the night not having to chase the #1 offensive threat like Kobe has to.
Not only that but his time off from basketball from 93 to 95 gave his legs some much needed rest. 35 year old Jordan was more explosive than current Kobe.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Not only that but his time off from basketball from 93 to 95 gave his legs some much needed rest. 35 year old Jordan was more explosive than current Kobe.
Hey! Batting .083 in the majors for a month is hell on your legs!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:04 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,998,814 times
One has to think what Kobe could've done with the likes of a Pippen, but either way Kobe and Jordan are definitely top 2.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
One has to think what Kobe could've done with the likes of a Pippen, but either way Kobe and Jordan are definitely top 2.
Well he had Shaq, which is better than a Pippen like player imo, so I think we saw exactly what Kobe is capable of playing with another elite player.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:17 PM

51,897 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Quote:
Take 5 years off Artest and my point would be generally the same in that they could sick him on the Durants etc. etc. and allow Kobe to not have to work so hard on the defensive AND offensive end which he just cannot do.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:25 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,412,837 times
Quote:

Kobe just automatically gets the nod over Magic?

Maybe I'm just standing up for my guy. Maybe its because the reason I love the Lakers is because of Magic. And maybe that's why I have not been able to love Kobe the way other Laker fans have... But I think Magic is 2nd all time to Jordan!!!

If Kobe gets another title then he can go above Magic... but I'm holding on to Magic as #2 for now.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:48 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,998,814 times
Of course Kobe had Shaq, and Shaq was a key part of the Lakers. They could've gone on to win 3 more together even. However Shaq held the ball a lot more than Pippen did, which gave Kobe less scoring opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or