U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:24 PM

51,862 posts, read 41,758,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Of course Kobe had Shaq, and Shaq was a key part of the Lakers. They could've gone on to win 3 more together even. However Shaq held the ball a lot more than Pippen did, which gave Kobe less scoring opportunities.
That wasn't the point I was going for but if you want to thread drift.....here is Shaq and Kobe's last playoff series together.

2003 NBA Western Conference Semifinals | Basketball-Reference.com

Kobe figured that taking 159 shots at a 43% rate of success was a smart move. I mean he only had the reigning Finals MVP from the last 3 years on his team that shot 56% but only got 102 shots.

To restate, my sole point is that Kobe at this stage of his career has no one to pick up the slack for him at the defensive end.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:32 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Looks like the lakers/hornets/rockets are gonna try again and I would bet sterny says ok this time.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:51 PM

51,862 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Looks like the lakers/hornets/rockets are gonna try again and I would bet sterny says ok this time.
Quick someone get Lamar a hanky. Heh, maybe those are tears of joy in that he escapes the Kardashian family?

It can't be a lopsided trade or the owners will pitch a fit....and since they own the Hornets as well as their own team that's their right.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:55 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Odom was a no show to camp today lol I think he wants to get away knowing them crazy women ain't moving to no new Orleans!

Old 12-09-2011, 04:35 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,177,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Bigmen tend to peak at or around 30, in recent history Shaq peaked at 28-29, Duncan and Garnett same, Hakeem peaked at 31, Ewing around 29-30, David Robinson at 30. Since a guards game is more dependent on speed and quickness, most guards will peak younger and will have to alter their games, if possible, in order to remain effective. By 32, the typical guard begins to show the effects of time by way of decreased athletic explosion/ quickness/ speed. A few can compensate for it by reinventing themselves( Jordan in the second three peat, Kobe now), deadeye shooters like Reggie or Ray Allen can remain effective as shooting isn't diminished with age, Stockton and Kidd were and are more cerebral talents whose games were not solely dependent on speed, allowing them to be effective in old basketball age. A classic example of a guard whose entire game was based on quickness and/ or athleticism, quickly falling off by 32-33? Allen Iverson, Vince Carter spring to mind immediately....

Kobe still has the extremely high skill level to be effective now, but I do feel the passage of time has eroded his ability to carry the Lakers without significant help like a Chris Paul or a Dwight Howard on the squad. He was clearly deadlegged by the end of last season, and let's no forget the myriad of injuries he has played through. Which is to his credit, but may not have done himself any favors as he approaches mid 30's. We'll see how much he's got left in the tank, if he can raise his game to 'that' level when the Lakers need it most.
I think Kobe has got at least another 3 years left.

-Also left out of the equation, he started playing at age 18. I think the classic "running out of gas" is a big man like Shaq, Ewing, or McHale. Big bodied and injury prone. They get in the league about 22. And when you get past 30, 31 you're pretty much downhill.

I think Iverson had problems away from the basketball court. Kobe still has a very high dedication to the game. I think the Lakers are going to have to completely fall apart, or he's going to have to get seriously injured in order to retire. Maybe 3-5 more years of real play, more than 20 minutes a game? I don't know if Kobe will let his career deteriorate below 30 minutes a game. I don't think he wants to be a role player.

He's definitely going to need real help from Paul, Howard or someone else.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:36 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times
i think this second time around, the Hornets will get more draft picks and probably some cash. i think it will be pretty much the same players involved in this Rockets/Hornets/Lakers trade unless other teams decide to make their own offers.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:41 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,877,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think Kobe has got at least another 3 years left.

-Also left out of the equation, he started playing at age 18. I think the classic "running out of gas" is a big man like Shaq, Ewing, or McHale. Big bodied and injury prone. They get in the league about 22. And when you get past 30, 31 you're pretty much downhill.

I think Iverson had problems away from the basketball court. Kobe still has a very high dedication to the game. I think the Lakers are going to have to completely fall apart, or he's going to have to get seriously injured in order to retire. Maybe 3-5 more years of real play, more than 20 minutes a game? I don't know if Kobe will let his career deteriorate below 30 minutes a game. I don't think he wants to be a role player.
Kobe doesn't strike me as the kind of player who will hang around when he's no longer a gamechanger. Then again I've heard rumors he plans to play until 40. I doubt his legs will last that long, he will by far have more mileage than any guard before him. He's a hell of an athlete, but only human.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Kobe doesn't strike me as the kind of player who will hang around when he's no longer a gamechanger. Then again I've heard rumors he plans to play until 40. I doubt his legs will last that long, he will by far have more mileage than any guard before him. He's a hell of an athlete, but only human.
I think he will try to break Kareem's record which is easier said than done. It depends on what kind of team he has now. If the new coach is gonna have him score alot which i doubt, he won't get the record. However, with Gasol and Odom likely gone, he might take more of the scoring burden and CP3 setting him up. Shaq did say that Kobe wanted to be the "Will Smith" of the NBA, so he wants as many records as top dog though he will never admit it publicly.

My opinion is that if he doesn't win anymore titles for the remainder of his contract(till 2013-14), he will probably hang it up, but if the Kareem scoring record is close by then, he might hang around to break it...his ego is just too overpowering.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:23 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,178,373 times
I realize that they are trying to level the playing field and I didn't want to see Paul go to the Lakers either but the fact that Stern and his cronies stepped in and stopped the trade was ridiculous. If they are going to stop something, why not all the sign and trades that are obviously going around the rules? Stern needs to choose his battles alot better.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:22 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,050,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Quick someone get Lamar a hanky. Heh, maybe those are tears of joy in that he escapes the Kardashian family?

It can't be a lopsided trade or the owners will pitch a fit....and since they own the Hornets as well as their own team that's their right.
It's absolutely crazy for stern to veto this trade because the lakers are getting too good of a deal and think the lakers are going to be too good. If stern can't be impartial then the league shouldn't own any team ever under any circumstances. Stern might as well have the ref blow the game for the lakers like Donahy said he did( in reverse) all those years ago.
I wonder who's turn it is to win next year. I'm hoping Stern picks Golden State, then maybe next year Brooklyn with the new arena, after that maybe the knicks they haven't won in a while. I'm sure Stern will make the right decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or