U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 AM

5,613 posts, read 4,013,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
He at,what, 28,000 plus points now? He'd need to score 2,000 per year for the next 5 seasons to get within striking distance, and this is assuming he's healthy over that period. At 33, I don't see him doing that, maybe catch Malone but I don't see him catching Kareem.
i dont think he would catch kareem either but 1500 points over 7 years would do the same thing and he says he wants to play till 40. 1500 points in a season for kobe would not be that far of a stretch. only really in his 1st 3 seasons where he hardly got that much time did he not get to +/-1500. if he averages 20 ppg over 80 games that 1600. i could see him have that for 7 more years (averaged out over 7 that is)

he gets 25 ppg this season that 1650
24 ppg next 1800 over 75 games
23 ppg over 75 games 1725
22 ppg over 75 games 1650
21 ppg over 75 games 1575
20 ppg over 75 games 1500
19 ppg over 75 games 1425

thats 11325 points added onto his near 28000 now thats 39k+that would put him well over the top and it is not completely far fetched.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:24 AM

3,534 posts, read 1,914,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i dont think he would catch kareem either but 1500 points over 7 years would do the same thing and he says he wants to play till 40. 1500 points in a season for kobe would not be that far of a stretch. only really in his 1st 3 seasons where he hardly got that much time did he not get to +/-1500. if he averages 20 ppg over 80 games that 1600. i could see him have that for 7 more years (averaged out over 7 that is)

thats 11325 points added onto his near 28000 now thats 39k+that would put him well over the top and it is not completely far fetched.
Yeah there's any number of scenarios that 'could' happen, it's less about his ability to score as it is about his level of health. While he says he'd like to play till 40, there's no guarantee that his health holds that long to remain effective. And as I said earlier, Kobe doesn't strike me as someone who will hang around once he drops off dramatically. The other thing, if the Lakers in the next,say, 3 years gets another dominant scorer or big-man, is it in the teams best interest to have Kobe jacking shots just to catch Kareem at 35/36/37 years old and so forth? At some point it's not going to be viable for him to stay in the lead dog role.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 AM

5,613 posts, read 4,013,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Yeah there's any number of scenarios that 'could' happen, it's less about his ability to score as it is about his level of health. While he says he'd like to play till 40, there's no guarantee that his health holds that long to remain effective. And as I said earlier, Kobe doesn't strike me as someone who will hang around once he drops off dramatically. The other thing, if the Lakers in the next,say, 3 years gets another dominant scorer or big-man, is it in the teams best interest to have Kobe jacking shots just to catch Kareem at 35/36/37 years old and so forth? At some point it's not going to be viable for him to stay in the lead dog role.
I agree with that but take into account, barring any major injury if come 5 yrs from now he is 2000-3000 points away from the record I think his ego overrides common sense and he sticks around until it's his.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 AM

3,534 posts, read 1,914,444 times
Quote:
I agree with that but take into account, barring any major injury if come 5 yrs from now he is 2000-3000 points away from the record I think his ego overrides common sense and he sticks around until it's his.
In order for it to be within the realm of possibility, he's going to have to score at least at his current averages over the next few seasons,barring injury. I really think its a question of how he'll produce after 35, because he can still put up 25ppg till that age. It will be interesting to see a 36-37 year old Kobe, as far as the state of his game at that point. Some MAJOR miles on him, by then.....

Old 12-12-2011, 10:51 AM

30,469 posts, read 18,794,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Stern didn't veto the deal because it lessened the value of the team, he vetoed the deal because he didn't want Paul going to the lakers and making them another super team. Of course Cuban doesn't like it, he doesn't want the lakers any good so his team can get another ring. Paul isn't resigning with NO, so this deal is as good as its going get. Just like the letter from Gilbert said. I'm hoping Paul makes good on his threat to litigate and not report to training camp(if he said, not sure if he did) cause Stern and the NBA deserve it after this.

From the letter, from Gilbert

"I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player)."

You don't see anything in that tirade about the hornets, only about lakers being too good and its not fair.
Stern vetoed the trade because the OWNERS of the Hornets thought it was a crappy deal....and it was. The motivations (and I don't know how you can argue that the Lakers gain wouldn't be a Hornets losss) are moot since it's their team.

When you guys calm down a bit perhaps you can explain to me WHY the owners of a team should have no say in it's operation? Didn't something like over 75% of the NBA owners contact Stern with disproval over the deal?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:

It's *possible* but I think some of your assumptions like the 75game seasons all through his late 30's and still scoring 20+ppg during most of that time would require some luck and more importantly his acceptance of a big role on a less competitive team.

Kobe's benefit is that he has always kept himself incredibly fit and frankly there is no precendent for a scorer of his calibre at his position continuing late into his career. (Drexler stopped at 35 as one example and MJ came and went)

The problem is that he will have to CHOOSE in his late 30's whether he wants to play a lesser role on a championship calibre team and maybe only score 1000pts a season....or if he wants to continue as the offensive #1 option on a lesser team.

An interesting discussion with the uncertainty of injury.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 AM

3,777 posts, read 4,607,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Stern vetoed the trade because the OWNERS of the Hornets thought it was a crappy deal....and it was. The motivations (and I don't know how you can argue that the Lakers gain wouldn't be a Hornets losss) are moot since it's their team.
Their motivations are not moot, because their motivations define the very integrity of the sport. If the owners are just trying to pick winners and losers(its clear they are) then why even bother with all the hassles of competing.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Their motivations are not moot, because their motivations define the very integrity of the sport. If the owners are just trying to pick winners and losers(its clear they are) then why even bother with all the hassles of competing.
Someone call a WAAAAAAAAAAAHBulance.

The (temporary) owners of NO vetoed the trade. Had I been the owner of NO and the GM approached me with that deal I'd have possibly fired him on the spot and of course would have torpedoed it also.

I find it funny as heck that when the actual OWNERS of NO balk at a lopsided trade you start bringing up the "integrity of the sport". That's a pile of BS from a rabid Laker fan that was drooling over a lopsided deal that got tanked.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:06 PM
JL

6,359 posts, read 6,887,990 times
It's really simple. The Hornets are owned by the the league. They have to do what is in the interests of a team that is on life support. Of course they want good young players, picks, and preferably a star in order to entice a buyer. I don't blame them. Even the Clippers are having a hard time getting CP3. Apparently, their trade proposal was rejected yesterday. They're going through another modified proposal to see if the Hornets will accept it. Apparently, the Hornets wanted Gordon in the trade, but the Clippers didn't want to give him up. We shall see if they give in or not. An insider to the trade negotiations between the Hornets and Clippers has called it a "circus" thus far. Btw, Stern has appointed two NBA top executives(Stu Jackson and Paul Litvin) to make decisions and conduct negotiations with teams interested in CP3. Any team interested in Paul has to send a formal bid through the league office....pretty clear to me who is in charge of the Hornets.

As far as Kobe, i believe Mike Brown emphasizes defense. That could mean he will have to exert more on defense than he had in the past. If this is the case, he will be expending alot of energy which could hurt his offensive game. Also, Brown is not playing the triangle, so there is gonna be a learning curve for Kobe and the Lakers.

UPDATE 8:20PM CST: Looks like there is not gonna be a trade between Clippers and Hornets despite renewed efforts....check out video.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...-clippers-push

Last edited by JL; 12-12-2011 at 08:22 PM..

Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 PM

594 posts, read 765,545 times
I feel bad for Demps. He's being degraded as a nobody with no power. If I were him, I'd seriously consider resigning over this. I think this is going to end with Paul staying in NO. Then when next season comes, he'll leave NO with nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball