Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:09 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,090,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
It's absolutely crazy for stern to veto this trade because the lakers are getting too good of a deal and think the lakers are going to be too good. If stern can't be impartial then the league shouldn't own any team ever under any circumstances. Stern might as well have the ref blow the game for the lakers like Donahy said he did( in reverse) all those years ago.
I wonder who's turn it is to win next year. I'm hoping Stern picks Golden State, then maybe next year Brooklyn with the new arena, after that maybe the knicks they haven't won in a while. I'm sure Stern will make the right decision.
Yeah, Golden State!

Old 12-11-2011, 04:30 PM
JL

8,514 posts, read 14,470,410 times
Looks like the Lakers traded Odom because he got pissed and wanted out. Now the Lakers have to trade BOTH Bynum and Gasol and more just to get a chance at Howard. I've said all along that the only way or chance the Lakers have a shot at Howard is that Bynum and Gasol would have to be included. The problem for the Lakers now, after they backed out of the CP3 deal, is that the Bulls are now trying to pursue Howard. Very interesting season and it hasn't even started yet....

Earlier today, the Lakers tried to trade Pau to the Warriors, but Warriors rejected it.

Lamar Odom requested trade after David Stern veto, source says - ESPN Los Angeles

Sources Bulls Will Pursue Dwight Howard - RealGM Wiretap

Source Lakers Offered Gasol To Warriors - RealGM Wiretap

Old 12-11-2011, 07:09 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,090,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Looks like the Lakers traded Odom because he got pissed and wanted out. Now the Lakers have to trade BOTH Bynum and Gasol and more just to get a chance at Howard. I've said all along that the only way or chance the Lakers have a shot at Howard is that Bynum and Gasol would have to be included. The problem for the Lakers now, after they backed out of the CP3 deal, is that the Bulls are now trying to pursue Howard. Very interesting season and it hasn't even started yet....

Earlier today, the Lakers tried to trade Pau to the Warriors, but Warriors rejected it.

Lamar Odom requested trade after David Stern veto, source says - ESPN Los Angeles

If my Warriors are going to trade Curry, we are going to get CP3 in return, not Gasol. I like Gasol but not if we have to give up Curry. Word is that Cp3 is going to the Clippers now(most likely). They just want him to play out this year and next and don't need him to sign long term. He said he wanted to play next to Jordan,who he is friends with. He also said that about Chandler.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:23 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,523,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If my Warriors are going to trade Curry, we are going to get CP3 in return, not Gasol. I like Gasol but not if we have to give up Curry.
Agreed, and I'd rather trade Ellis than Curry at this point. Who knows, maybe DeAndre Jordan can polish his game and break out with the Warriors without them having to give up anyone of value in return.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,023,894 times
Clippers are gonna match so Jordan's not going to the warriors.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:37 PM

77,800 posts, read 59,963,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
It's absolutely crazy for stern to veto this trade because the lakers are getting too good of a deal and think the lakers are going to be too good. If stern can't be impartial then the league shouldn't own any team ever under any circumstances. Stern might as well have the ref blow the game for the lakers like Donahy said he did( in reverse) all those years ago.
I wonder who's turn it is to win next year. I'm hoping Stern picks Golden State, then maybe next year Brooklyn with the new arena, after that maybe the knicks they haven't won in a while. I'm sure Stern will make the right decision.
Crazy? Stern got an EARFUL from the OWNERS of the Hornets. You know....guys like Cuban and most of the other NBA owners.

They OWN the Hornets and Stern works for them.

They have every right to protest that crappy deal which lessens the value of the franchise they co-own.

I agree with many of your points but this is a tough circumstance and I'm sure everyone would prefer NO to have a single owner.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:38 PM

77,800 posts, read 59,963,843 times
Quote:

Yep. Bulls are going to be a HUGE threat to get Howard. They have the guys to trade and they have the calibre of team that Howard would need. Really, what can the Lakers offer for Howard that the Bulls couldn't match....and still have a viable team?

Old 12-11-2011, 09:00 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,681,082 times
Quote:
I think he will try to break Kareem's record which is easier said than done. It depends on what kind of team he has now. If the new coach is gonna have him score alot which i doubt, he won't get the record. However, with Gasol and Odom likely gone, he might take more of the scoring burden and CP3 setting him up. Shaq did say that Kobe wanted to be the "Will Smith" of the NBA, so he wants as many records as top dog though he will never admit it publicly.

My opinion is that if he doesn't win anymore titles for the remainder of his contract(till 2013-14), he will probably hang it up, but if the Kareem scoring record is close by then, he might hang around to break it...his ego is just too overpowering.
He at,what, 28,000 plus points now? He'd need to score 2,000 per year for the next 5 seasons to get within striking distance, and this is assuming he's healthy over that period. At 33, I don't see him doing that, maybe catch Malone but I don't see him catching Kareem.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:57 PM
JL

8,514 posts, read 14,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep. Bulls are going to be a HUGE threat to get Howard. They have the guys to trade and they have the calibre of team that Howard would need. Really, what can the Lakers offer for Howard that the Bulls couldn't match....and still have a viable team?
Bulls and Thunder and Clippers are the only ones with the best young assets. Howard does prefer the Nets, but their assets are weak. Thunder don't seem to be interested in Howard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
He at,what, 28,000 plus points now? He'd need to score 2,000 per year for the next 5 seasons to get within striking distance, and this is assuming he's healthy over that period. At 33, I don't see him doing that, maybe catch Malone but I don't see him catching Kareem.
He is around 28k points. I don't think he will catch Malone at 36k pts, but he will stick around as long as he can. I think Kobe will be in a shock when the dropoff really progresses in a couple of years.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:59 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,635,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Crazy? Stern got an EARFUL from the OWNERS of the Hornets. You know....guys like Cuban and most of the other NBA owners.

They OWN the Hornets and Stern works for them.

They have every right to protest that crappy deal which lessens the value of the franchise they co-own.

I agree with many of your points but this is a tough circumstance and I'm sure everyone would prefer NO to have a single owner.
Stern didn't veto the deal because it lessened the value of the team, he vetoed the deal because he didn't want Paul going to the lakers and making them another super team. Of course Cuban doesn't like it, he doesn't want the lakers any good so his team can get another ring. Paul isn't resigning with NO, so this deal is as good as its going get. Just like the letter from Gilbert said. I'm hoping Paul makes good on his threat to litigate and not report to training camp(if he said, not sure if he did) cause Stern and the NBA deserve it after this.

From the letter, from Gilbert

"I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player)."

You don't see anything in that tirade about the hornets, only about lakers being too good and its not fair.

Last edited by jdm2008; 12-12-2011 at 05:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball