U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2011, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,491 posts, read 1,543,612 times
Reputation: 1636

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Well Dwight use to be skinny when he was younger, or so he said. Regardless, what man dares to punk him out now? That guy is 6'11 and 265 lbs of muscles, I'm pretty sure he can throw me across the room with one arm.

Yeah, he was rail thin back then. he still is skinny, if you see him in person he doesn't look as ripped as he does on TV. But that doesn't really mean anything, some of the skinniest dudes I know were the biggest brawlers and scrappers growing up. But being a brawler isn't Dwight, he's a private school kid from a good home. I think people who expect him to be tough just assume that because he's black and in the league now that he just another NBA player from the projects who grew up dodging bullets and is rough around the edges because of it. Some of those dudes are like that, but not Dwight. I'm not a fan of his whining, and I hate the Magic, but I respect him because he is who is is- a goofy dude who just wants to play basketball. He doesn't try to be anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2011, 10:04 PM
 
1,020 posts, read 2,831,941 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Yeah, he was rail thin back then. he still is skinny, if you see him in person he doesn't look as ripped as he does on TV. But that doesn't really mean anything, some of the skinniest dudes I know were the biggest brawlers and scrappers growing up. But being a brawler isn't Dwight, he's a private school kid from a good home. I think people who expect him to be tough just assume that because he's black and in the league now that he just another NBA player from the projects who grew up dodging bullets and is rough around the edges because of it. Some of those dudes are like that, but not Dwight. I'm not a fan of his whining, and I hate the Magic, but I respect him because he is who is is- a goofy dude who just wants to play basketball. He doesn't try to be anything else.

wow its nice to know that you know him, if you are really telling the truth, but i would say for the most part i believe you. I can imagine how he is from what your telling me, i have seen very big dudes that are nice people get punked because people around them expects them to be tough since they are big. for the most part, dwight is the best center in the league right now, but is not that great compared to the past centers.

And i do know what you mean when you said jarvis C. being in a upper middle class area trying to be hardcore, I went to Bellevue college in Bellevue, WA where lots of parents work at microsoft that makes tons of dough, most of the area have homes over a million dollars, and I see some "minority" kids of color (dont want to be racist) that tries to act hardcore becuase they are that color. I look and laugh cause.. man we are in a college, why are you bringing the hood here, and the funny thing is the white people actually believe they are that hardcore, and from the hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
478 posts, read 596,804 times
Reputation: 323
I think to a certain extent, him and LeBron both play soft when they should be more agressive. As far as their athletic ability, they're two of the top five in the league. They both seem to have a good knowledge of the game. However, I don't think they always play agressive enough. It'd also help them both to shoot better from the free throw line too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Ohio
904 posts, read 1,637,809 times
Reputation: 1164
First off, let me state that I'm a Cavs fan from NE Ohio, so I'm obviously not a biased Miami Heat fan.

I find it funny that on all the Orlando Magics boards I used to frequent when the Cavs-Magic had a decent rivalry going on a few years ago, and most recently lurking to see what Magic fans are saying about Dwight wanting out, that Magic fans have such a distaste for LeBron James. No matter what, LeBron James is mentioned in almost every thread I see on Magic forums.

"Hey, I ate at McDonalds today. LeBron James is a douche!"

But really, I wouldn't say LeBron is the most overrated player of our generation. I mean, really? I think you're confused with over-covered by ESPN, and over-criticized by everyone who covers sports. Sure, I think "The Decision" was ridiculous and it still sucks he left my Cavs, but you're simply a hater if you say he's one of the most overrated players in recent times. I mean, seriously? Yeah, he's not clutch, but no way he's overrated.

As for Howard, he's just a whiner. Sure, he's good, but he's sold out. He wants to play in a bigger market where the GM will spend money and make moves...and attract players to join. In this day in the NBA, all-stars like to play in big cities. If you play in a big market, more than likely it will be a lot easier to attract players to come help build a good foundation with without waiting for draft picks to flourish. Look at the Clippers, even before they had Blake they still attracted free agents simply because their in Los Angeles, ignoring the fact that the Clippers have sucked for years and years and they play in the shadow of the Lakers. Sad to say but the NBA works like that these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 12:18 AM
 
9,034 posts, read 16,464,495 times
Reputation: 6827
Neither are anything close to soft ...... to say otherwise is pure bitterness

also, I went to the all star practices when they had the game out here in phoenix - dwight howard is an absolute beast - that guy is massive and idiotically strong

one of the things they did for the fans was to take shots from a seated position - dwight took his from halfcourt

yeah - half court .... while sitting down

he basically just flicked his wrist and the ball hit the top of the backboard

he moved back another 5-10 feet and was drilling the rim with just an easy flick of his arms

none fell, but the fact he was peppering the rim while seated from over 50 feet away is insane

it looks like he actually made one since then


Dwight Howard Record Breaking Half Court Shot - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 01:42 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
478 posts, read 596,804 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
First off, let me state that I'm a Cavs fan from NE Ohio, so I'm obviously not a biased Miami Heat fan.

I find it funny that on all the Orlando Magics boards I used to frequent when the Cavs-Magic had a decent rivalry going on a few years ago, and most recently lurking to see what Magic fans are saying about Dwight wanting out, that Magic fans have such a distaste for LeBron James. No matter what, LeBron James is mentioned in almost every thread I see on Magic forums.

"Hey, I ate at McDonalds today. LeBron James is a douche!"

But really, I wouldn't say LeBron is the most overrated player of our generation. I mean, really? I think you're confused with over-covered by ESPN, and over-criticized by everyone who covers sports. Sure, I think "The Decision" was ridiculous and it still sucks he left my Cavs, but you're simply a hater if you say he's one of the most overrated players in recent times. I mean, seriously? Yeah, he's not clutch, but no way he's overrated.

As for Howard, he's just a whiner. Sure, he's good, but he's sold out. He wants to play in a bigger market where the GM will spend money and make moves...and attract players to join. In this day in the NBA, all-stars like to play in big cities. If you play in a big market, more than likely it will be a lot easier to attract players to come help build a good foundation with without waiting for draft picks to flourish. Look at the Clippers, even before they had Blake they still attracted free agents simply because their in Los Angeles, ignoring the fact that the Clippers have sucked for years and years and they play in the shadow of the Lakers. Sad to say but the NBA works like that these days.
I'm also a Cavs fan. I was originally pretty mad when LeBron left the Cavs, but I'm over that. Am I rooting for him, no. I'm rooting for the Cavs first and foremost, and he plays for a rival team. But he undeniably has great talent/skills on the court. The only thing with him and Howard (as well others) is that they don't seem to display their talent all the time. They take nights off if you will. I do think you'll see these guys more motivated this year though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,491 posts, read 1,543,612 times
Reputation: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
wow its nice to know that you know him, if you are really telling the truth, but i would say for the most part i believe you.

LOL. I didn't say we were best friends, we just grew up in the same part of town. It's not even like I have his number on speed dial in my phone or even have his number at all for that matter. It's basically like I see him, recognize him, dap him up and shoot the crap for a second or two and then keep it moving. And when I say I went to his house, it's not like it was exclusive, like most young pro athletes he throws house parties during the summer with tons of people. Might not even see Dwight the whole time but you know it is his party at his house. The Atlanta metro is pretty big, but the actual city itself as far as the actual city limits are very small. It's barely 500,000 people. And it's also spread out too, so the different sides and areas of town are like small towns unto themselves, everybody knows everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Neither are anything close to soft ...... to say otherwise is pure bitterness



Dwight Howard Record Breaking Half Court Shot - YouTube

Pure bitterness? About what exactly? Just because I said he is soft and he whines too much I'm being bitter? Maybe that was my actual unbiased opinion based on seeing him whine and complain to refs during games all the way from playing on the GA Stars to playing SACA to right now in the NBA for the Magic. I said he is a really nice guy, and he is pretty funny in terms of just cracking jokes and having a good time. But is he a beast? NO. What am I supposed to lie because we're from the same city? To be honest I am downright proud of Dwight, it makes me happy to be able to say I grew up watching him hoop when I was younger. My side of town just in the last 10 years has put out some A1 talent in pro sports-Dwight Howard, Jamal Lewis, Javaris Crittenton, Jarvis and Jonah Hayes, Amahad Carrol, Adam "pacman" Jones, and Cam Newton just to name a few. I am bitter about none of that, it makes me hold my head up high because I am proud of that, thats my side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 AM
 
52,114 posts, read 41,937,212 times
Reputation: 32528
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I looked at this thread title and I literally laughed out loud, before I even opened it up to read what the comments were. I know Dwight, he's not from my 'hood, but he's from my side of town. I'm a couple of years older than him but I grew up seeing him play at the YMCA on Campbellton Rd in SW Atlanta. My homeboy used to date his older sister, and I've been to his house a few times here in Atlanta for parties since he has been in the league. And all I will say is that Dwight is soft, softer than tissue paper, always been that way. He's a nice guy though, he doesn't try to be something that he isn't. Unlike that moron Javaris Crittenton, who also grew up in the same area as Dwight and went to the same HS as Dwight too. Javaris and Dwight were both from the Cascade area in SW Atlanta. Cascade is basically an upper middle class black neighborhood. Real nice houses and the people usually are white collar type folks. But Cascade is still in SW Atlanta so it's not that far from real hoods like Oakland City and Adamsville. Dwight always knew his lane and stayed in it, I remember growing up the dudes at the gym would punk him out and he would actually cry sometimes too. Javaris on the other hand always tried to be tough and act like he was a goon, trying to hang out with kids from rougher neighborhoods. But we all knew he was full of it, thats why I wasn't even surprised when Javaris got caught up in that mess last summer. Thats what happens when you have alot of these athletes from urban areas, these guys may be from the hood but they grow up sheltered because of their talent, and when they get into the real world they have no clue how to function in the NBA world and in the streets (which they shouldn't be in anyway as an NBA player). And being from an urban area they think that they're supposed to act a certain way and the morons who hang around them don't want to tell them that they're soft because of that players money and they want to stay apart of the entourage.
You guys can call him whatever you like but no one seems to want to touch my post with what he did to Atlanta in the playoffs and guys like Amare last season.

They should have put a chalk outline around Jason Collins and hung up crime scene tape for what Howard did to him.

Seriously, an early poster actually MENTIONED Jason Collins abusing Howard which is like saying Tina Turner beat Ike.

P.S. Biggest mama's boy I knew in highschool went on to become a Seal. Your recollections of howard crying as a teenager are all fine but what do you think he would do to you guys in a game now if he wasn't going easy on you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,491 posts, read 1,543,612 times
Reputation: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You guys can call him whatever you like but no one seems to want to touch my post with what he did to Atlanta in the playoffs and guys like Amare last season.

They should have put a chalk outline around Jason Collins and hung up crime scene tape for what Howard did to him.

Seriously, an early poster actually MENTIONED Jason Collins abusing Howard which is like saying Tina Turner beat Ike.

P.S. Biggest mama's boy I knew in highschool went on to become a Seal. Your recollections of howard crying as a teenager are all fine but what do you think he would do to you guys in a game now if he wasn't going easy on you?
The Hawks are a joke, Jason Collins is an even bigger joke. The Hawks are like the loveable losers, we don't expect much from them. They're just there really. So you really can't use that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:53 AM
 
52,114 posts, read 41,937,212 times
Reputation: 32528
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
The Hawks are a joke, Jason Collins is an even bigger joke. The Hawks are like the loveable losers, we don't expect much from them. They're just there really. So you really can't use that one.
The original poster used Jason Collins. Horford was all nba 3rd team and Dwight clobbered him too in that Atlanta series which you don't want to count. One would think that a dominating performance in the playoffs against one of the other top centers would count.

He *mauled* Amare....all NBA 2nd team....in their 2 meetins near year end. I didn't look back further than that, those 2 were lopsided as heck.

OP also mentioned Kendrick Perkins....they met once last year....Howard outscored him 28-0.

Orlando Magic at Boston Celtics Box Score, February 6, 2011 | Basketball-Reference.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top