U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,451,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Please just give it up.
Game 1: 46pts, 19 boards.
Game 2: 33pts, 19 boards.
Game 3: 21pts, 15 boards.
Game 4: 29pts, 17 boards.
Game 6: 25pts, 15 boards.
Show me another CURRENT NBA player averaging/posting similiar numbers consistently in the playoffs at his position. He did this while guys like Zaza practically murders him under the basket (remember no one gets a technical when guarding Howard on defense).

The reason they lost that series was because the other pieces missed tons of shots and coaching is really the big problem for the Magic. It has been that way since Van Gundy showed up with his "Phoenix" scheme i.e. sit on the 3 point line with zero screens to give open shots.

Are they a contender this year? Not really. I don't think anyone but Miami has a chance.

Whatever you say bud. That last line disproves your entire opinion. Miami is definitely the favorites but to say they are the only team that has a chance is just stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We have brought it up.

Alzheimers much?

I'd mention Dwight's performance so far this season (again) but you don't count regular season or recent playoffs....one bizarre excuse after another to throw out his good performances.

Keep using your stats. Lebron James had great numbers with the Cavs hence why he won the MVP. You can get away with playing soft until it matters most. Everyone noticed it with Lebron in the NBA finals. I noticed it years ago against the Magic.

The Hawks ALLOWED Howard to get those massive stats because that was their gameplan. Allow Howard to do whatever and just make sure the rest of the team doesn't play well especially at the 3...and it worked hence why they beat the Magic.

I've watched this guy for years and just about every time they need him to excel in the clutch, he's nowhere to be found. You guys keep referring to your box scores and fantasy basketball stats...its very impressive you well you guys use google.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,949,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

Whatever you say bud. That last line disproves your entire opinion. Miami is definitely the favorites but to say they are the only team that has a chance is just stupid.
They blew two top teams out of the water i.e. Dallas (former champs) and Boston. By end of season Cole will be that much better. Barring that no one is injured, there is no way they lose.

Quote:
The Hawks ALLOWED Howard to get those massive stats because that was their gameplan. Allow Howard to do whatever and just make sure the rest of the team doesn't play well especially at the 3...and it worked hence why they beat the Magic.
Gameplan is one thing. Actually, watching him abuse all their centers i.e. Collins, Zaza, Horford, etc, is another thing. I doubt the Hawks walked into Game 1 going "Let's have Howard dunk all over us and score close to 50 points." Dream on.

The Magic attempted 22 3-pointers in Game 1. They on average shoot 25. Did they not get their shots? They got plenty of shots. Not everyone will be lights out every night... they don't say "Live By the 3, Die by the 3" if guys don't go ice cold on nights. In Game 1, the only other player that actually showed up for Game 1 was Jameer. That was it. Everyone else shot under 40% and played terrible.

Quote:
I've watched this guy for years and just about every time they need him to excel in the clutch, he's nowhere to be found. You guys keep referring to your box scores and fantasy basketball stats...its very impressive you well you guys use google.
Like you are the only one actually watching the Magic's games

Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 AM

52,084 posts, read 41,892,714 times
We should rename this the "move the goal posts thread".

Old 01-09-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
They blew two top teams out of the water i.e. Dallas (former champs) and Boston. By end of season Cole will be that much better. Barring that no one is injured, there is no way they lose.

Gameplan is one thing. Actually, watching him abuse all their centers i.e. Collins, Zaza, Horford, etc, is another thing. I doubt the Hawks walked into Game 1 going "Let's have Howard dunk all over us and score close to 50 points." Dream on.

The Magic attempted 22 3-pointers in Game 1. They on average shoot 25. Did they not get their shots? They got plenty of shots. Not everyone will be lights out every night... they don't say "Live By the 3, Die by the 3" if guys don't go ice cold on nights. In Game 1, the only other player that actually showed up for Game 1 was Jameer. That was it. Everyone else shot under 40% and played terrible.

Like you are the only one actually watching the Magic's games

You realize the more Kobe shots, the less the Lakers win? So yea, gameplay can completely inflate a superstars numbers. Just stick with the box scores.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:51 PM

Yep. We now have double D on the record as saying... that box scores, regular season, last years playoffs all don't matter.

It's all his general *judgement* although Howard is a multi-time 1st team all-nba and defensive player of the year.

Seems like we've spotted the issue. Clearly Dub D is a more astute observer than the various NBA coaches etc.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:48 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,949,373 times
Quote:
You realize the more Kobe shots, the less the Lakers win? So yea, gameplay can completely inflate a superstars numbers. Just stick with the box scores.
You continue to prove you don't watch/follow the NBA.

Fun Fact: Since the 1999-2000 season, the Lakers have appeared in the NBA Finals 7 times winning 5 championships. You know who had the most shooting attempts... one Kobe Bryant. How is that not WINNING?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 PM

StatsCube: Does Kobe Shoot Too Much? NBA.com | Hang Time Blog

There ya go bud.

Box scores are not an accurate why to judge a players worth. It's that simple.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:54 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,073,614 times
Quote:
StatsCube: Does Kobe Shoot Too Much? NBA.com | Hang Time Blog

There ya go bud.

Box scores are not an accurate why to judge a players worth. It's that simple.
How many rings does kobe have? And what does this have to do with Dwight Howard? Are you trying to distract from the fact that you are looking foolish arguing things that clearly took place only in your imagination. Like Dwight getting "punked" by Collins?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
How many rings does kobe have? And what does this have to do with Dwight Howard? Are you trying to distract from the fact that you are looking foolish arguing things that clearly took place only in your imagination. Like Dwight getting "punked" by Collins?
You are forgetting the guidelines.

We can't use last years playoffs.
We can't look at stats or box scores.
We can't use the regular season.

We also can't rely on the opinions of the coaches etc. that vote for defensive player of the year or all nba teams.

So, that leaves us with one guys anecdotal ramblings about the playoffs from back when nobody knew who Chris Humphries was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball