Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times

Advertisements

First off, I'm a Magic fan...life long Magic fan. With that stated, I don't think he will remain in Orlando unless they make some big time roster changes. They have a history of doing it though most of the time, it doesn't work out. Grant Hill, T-Mac, Francis, Lewis, etc...underachieved / injury prone.

The more I think about Dwight Howard, the more I think how damn soft he is. Dude is a monster and he got punked by Perkins and Jason Collins on the reg even though he's stronger than both of them. He doesn't have a hook shot to combat that.

The more I think about it, his game is very similar to Lebron James. James should and could drive to the basket on damn near every possession yet he settles for 3's and jumpers. As of last year, he is completely void of a post game. He trained with The Dream over the summer so we'll see if he gained some post game. Thing is, Howard trained with the dream and barely gained any post game.

Both guys came straight out of high school. Both guys are/were the biggest asset in their last contract year. I'm starting to see alot of similarities between the two which is bad for Howard. I think Lebron James is the most overrated player of our generation. He is completely void under pressure minus one game against the Magic THREE years ago and a few games against the Pistions FOUR years ago. You can not depend on either player at the end of the game. James is too scared and Howard can't hit a FT so you don't want him to have the ball at the end of the game. IMO, they both need an aggressive leader who can ball to be the leader and they are the supplementary player. James has Wade. Howard needs someone like Wade; Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, Kobe Bryant? I think Rose is the best fit but he's only had one really good season so its hard to base it off that solely. They obviously have different styles but considering, they have alot of similarities...much more than they should.

When James signed with the Heat, he pretty much admitted he doesn't/can't lead a team on his own. I think Howard falls under that mindset as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 02:11 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,415 times
Howard has raw power. He never had any offensive game beyond 3 feet from the basket, and most of his points are putbacks. But, he is still the best center in the whole league as of right now, so no one can complain. What other center can do at least 20 and 10 with about 2 blocks per game right now?

Old 12-10-2011, 12:35 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
The more I think about Dwight Howard, the more I think how damn soft he is. Dude is a monster and he got punked by Perkins and Jason Collins on the reg even though he's stronger than both of them. He doesn't have a hook shot to combat that.
Talk to the ref "foul" issues. If Howard played an era that allowed Bigs to bang like the glory days, then you would see his raw dominance. He is bigger, stronger, and faster than everyone that guards him. He unfortunetly gets called for anything while the man that guards him can "flagrant" him all game and never get called.

Quote:
As of last year, he is completely void of a post game. He trained with The Dream over the summer so we'll see if he gained some post game. Thing is, Howard trained with the dream and barely gained any post game.
He has had Ewing for years and there has been little improvement post wise since he arrived. He still has the one spin move/dunk. All I have seen improvement since Day 1 is a slight front hook (3ft) and he makes a tad more FTs. That's it. In his defense, the spin move/dunk is so effective that he hasn't had to change his game.

Quote:
I think Lebron James is the most overrated player of our generation. He is completely void under pressure minus one game against the Magic THREE years ago and a few games against the Pistions FOUR years ago.
We will shave a game here or there to try and prove our point. James is not overrated. If James wants to score, he will. For all those years in Cleveland, he carried them i.e. the success of Cleveland was really one player. Yes, James has a shaky jumpshot but still doesn't deny the fact that he can score at will. The problem will James is he so desires to play a Magic Johnson role i.e. set up others and fill out a stat sheet vs just scoring every point. This is why the critics are all over the move to Miami. He needed guys like Wade that could make their shots when he gave up the ball.

Quote:
Howard needs someone like Wade; Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, Kobe Bryant? I think Rose is the best fit but he's only had one really good season so its hard to base it off that solely. They obviously have different styles but considering, they have alot of similarities...much more than they should.
All excuses. Howard over the years had Hedo at his prime, Rashard Lewis (good player coming in), Vince Carter (future HOF), etc. He has had guys who could get the points needed. This is why the Magic were able to make the playoffs and do fairly well in them for those years. Most likely Howard will be gone next year potentially playing with a Williams or Paul so you can see if that really pushes him to the ring... but I doubt it does as it takes more than two players to win.

Quote:
When James signed with the Heat, he pretty much admitted he doesn't/can't lead a team on his own. I think Howard falls under that mindset as well.
When James signed with the Heat, he said I want to win with guys I know can score if I give them the ball. The proof is in the pudding. He made the NBA Finals first year with a team of Wade (top 5), Bosh (top 25), Mike Miller (average at best), and a bunch of unknowns. Again, that team FIRST YEAR made the NBA Finals. How many times did James go to the NBA Finals while in Cleveland... 1 time in 7 seasons. In Miami, 1 for 1. Now does his choice seem to make more sense...

Old 12-10-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
All excuses. Howard over the years had Hedo at his prime, Rashard Lewis (good player coming in), Vince Carter (future HOF), etc. He has had guys who could get the points needed. This is why the Magic were able to make the playoffs and do fairly well in them for those years. Most likely Howard will be gone next year potentially playing with a Williams or Paul so you can see if that really pushes him to the ring... but I doubt it does as it takes more than two players to win.
Hedo at his prime still wasn't an all start. Lewis has always been overrated. He's one of the top 5 guys why the Amnesty Rule was made. Carter is not a HOF to me and gets way too much hype for being an amazing dunker 10 years ago. All these guys lack leadership. When it was crunch time, they Magic had NO ONE to go too. No one clutch, no one who you can depend on. Hedo was it and trust me, he failed so many times.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
Howard has raw power. He never had any offensive game beyond 3 feet from the basket, and most of his points are putbacks. But, he is still the best center in the whole league as of right now, so no one can complain. What other center can do at least 20 and 10 with about 2 blocks per game right now?

None but its because Centers mean so little in today's game. It's all about guys who can play multiple positions. Lebron James played PF quite a bit last year. No one that would happen ten years ago. The league overall is smaller and faster.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Punked by Jason Collins? Oh...you mean the guy that in 6 games put up 8 points, 11 rebounds and 22 fouls in 6 games against Howard? Howard averaged 27pts and 15.5rebs! He dropped a 46pt\19reb a-bomb on Atlanta in game 1 (which they lost anyway) He shot 70% from the field...the team average was 45% which tells you why they lost.

First off you need to realize that the guy is only 25 years old last season and barring injuries most NBA players peak around age 26-27 as it takes a while to develop their game.

Honestly, it seems like you didn't even watch the games or are just mentally trying to make the fact that he is going to leave hurt less. Orlando hasn't put CRAP around him in all those seasons, go back and look at the Atlanta series and tell me what I'm missing using reality this time.

Here you can find all the box scores.
Dwight Howard 2010-11 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

P.S. He also crushed Amare in both late season meeting vs. the Knicks. REALLY dominated him.

Howard shot 68% from the fg line vs. atlanta in the playoffs. Seriously, what games have you been watching?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:28 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
I notice you didn't mention him playing with a Rose.

Just saying that a lot of Miami fans don't seem to like to bring up the fact that Howard to the Bulls is a very real possibility and would represent a HUGE threat to Miami for years to come. They prefer to project him going to the west or to a trade gutted team.

P.S. The problem with Orlando is age-matching. When Hedo and the others were still around their primes Howard was raw and developing. As he has developed they have dropped off. If you look at last years squad for Orlando it's pretty mediocre other than Howard. They still gave Atlanta a good fight and Atlanta gave the Bulls a good fight whom game Miami a good fight so in fairness Orlando was decent last year.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:59 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Rose and Howard would be dynamite, mentioned this before.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,099,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
First off, I'm a Magic fan...life long Magic fan. With that stated, I don't think he will remain in Orlando unless they make some big time roster changes. They have a history of doing it though most of the time, it doesn't work out. Grant Hill, T-Mac, Francis, Lewis, etc...underachieved / injury prone.

I looked at this thread title and I literally laughed out loud, before I even opened it up to read what the comments were. I know Dwight, he's not from my 'hood, but he's from my side of town. I'm a couple of years older than him but I grew up seeing him play at the YMCA on Campbellton Rd in SW Atlanta. My homeboy used to date his older sister, and I've been to his house a few times here in Atlanta for parties since he has been in the league. And all I will say is that Dwight is soft, softer than tissue paper, always been that way. He's a nice guy though, he doesn't try to be something that he isn't. Unlike that moron Javaris Crittenton, who also grew up in the same area as Dwight and went to the same HS as Dwight too. Javaris and Dwight were both from the Cascade area in SW Atlanta. Cascade is basically an upper middle class black neighborhood. Real nice houses and the people usually are white collar type folks. But Cascade is still in SW Atlanta so it's not that far from real hoods like Oakland City and Adamsville. Dwight always knew his lane and stayed in it, I remember growing up the dudes at the gym would punk him out and he would actually cry sometimes too. Javaris on the other hand always tried to be tough and act like he was a goon, trying to hang out with kids from rougher neighborhoods. But we all knew he was full of it, thats why I wasn't even surprised when Javaris got caught up in that mess last summer. Thats what happens when you have alot of these athletes from urban areas, these guys may be from the hood but they grow up sheltered because of their talent, and when they get into the real world they have no clue how to function in the NBA world and in the streets (which they shouldn't be in anyway as an NBA player). And being from an urban area they think that they're supposed to act a certain way and the morons who hang around them don't want to tell them that they're soft because of that players money and they want to stay apart of the entourage.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I looked at this thread title and I literally laughed out loud, before I even opened it up to read what the comments were. I know Dwight, he's not from my 'hood, but he's from my side of town. I'm a couple of years older than him but I grew up seeing him play at the YMCA on Campbellton Rd in SW Atlanta. My homeboy used to date his older sister, and I've been to his house a few times here in Atlanta for parties since he has been in the league. And all I will say is that Dwight is soft, softer than tissue paper, always been that way. He's a nice guy though, he doesn't try to be something that he isn't. Unlike that moron Javaris Crittenton, who also grew up in the same area as Dwight and went to the same HS as Dwight too. Javaris and Dwight were both from the Cascade area in SW Atlanta. Cascade is basically an upper middle class black neighborhood. Real nice houses and the people usually are white collar type folks. But Cascade is still in SW Atlanta so it's not that far from real hoods like Oakland City and Adamsville. Dwight always knew his lane and stayed in it, I remember growing up the dudes at the gym would punk him out and he would actually cry sometimes too. Javaris on the other hand always tried to be tough and act like he was a goon, trying to hang out with kids from rougher neighborhoods. But we all knew he was full of it, thats why I wasn't even surprised when Javaris got caught up in that mess last summer. Thats what happens when you have alot of these athletes from urban areas, these guys may be from the hood but they grow up sheltered because of their talent, and when they get into the real world they have no clue how to function in the NBA world and in the streets (which they shouldn't be in anyway as an NBA player). And being from an urban area they think that they're supposed to act a certain way and the morons who hang around them don't want to tell them that they're soft because of that players money and they want to stay apart of the entourage.
Well Dwight use to be skinny when he was younger, or so he said. Regardless, what man dares to punk him out now? That guy is 6'11 and 265 lbs of muscles, I'm pretty sure he can throw me across the room with one arm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball