Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:05 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
This is fair, but mainly what I mean( and didn't do a good job of explaining previously) is that Chandler provided Dallas with a tough, interior defensive presence that they have lacked for a decade. While guys like Marion and even the ageless Kidd are heady defensive players, it was the presence of Chandler in the middle that made teams think twice before waltzing into the lane. That element had been missing during Dirk's entire tenure.

And, for the record, I don't see New York winning anything. But they are markedly improved from years ago( then again they were total crap so that may not be much of a statement lol). I do recall during a Lakers-Nuggets playoff some time ago, where Melo had some really good defensive sequences on Kobe. It's not lack of ability with him so much as lack of will. He has the physical tools, but not the mentality. Being passionate about defense is half the battle.
Agree. I just read this POS article and wanted to throw up.
Tyson Chandler is better for Knicks that Chris Paul would've been - Ian Thomsen - SI.com

Quote:
Consider the identities of Boston All-Stars Paul Pierce and Ray Allen and coach Doc Rivers before they became associated with Garnett. Pierce and Allen were viewed as scorers who didn't defend
Garnett joined Boston in the 07-08 season...Pierce was top 10 in steals 5 times before then and was widely considered to be 3rd or 4th team defensively prior to Garnetts arrival. Characterizing his as "not defending" is about as far from reality as possible and literary license by a hack trying to push a feel good story about the Knicks, facts be damned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Yeah, not sure what the agenda was there. I don't think Pierce has ever been viewed as a poor defender....

Old 12-15-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Yeah, not sure what the agenda was there. I don't think Pierce has ever been viewed as a poor defender....
Yeah, far from it. Pierce was considered a very good defender.

The agend is it is a Knicks homer piece and that somehow the addition of Chandler will be akin to adding Garnett and now the Knicks will blossom.

So much wrong with that concept but hey, I will be able to laugh when they fail and Carmelo etc. start pointing fingers. Then they will can the coach blah blah blah.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,163 times
Speaking of defenders, the Bulls got the steal of the draft when they chose Marquette's 6-7 swingman Jimmy Butler.

That man's a freaking nightmare to try and score against!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:54 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Speaking of defenders, the Bulls got the steal of the draft when they chose Marquette's 6-7 swingman Jimmy Butler.

I forgot about our draft pick. This gets me excited, if he turns out well, the Bulls have done pretty darn well in the late part of the draft with Taj and this kid. I think they drafted Asik as well.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post

Well, Deng would be a good teacher for the guy at the NBA level. If the NBA didn't stop at 2nd team all-defense he would have been on the 3rd team.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:21 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Good move by Atlanta. They have some REALLY good younger players.
They do? I know about Teague, but their bench is atrocious. Signing players like McGrady, Stackhouse (yes they got him too), and Vladimir Radmonovic got me look like......

Old 12-15-2011, 03:38 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
They do? I know about Teague, but their bench is atrocious. Signing players like McGrady, Stackhouse (yes they got him too), and Vladimir Radmonovic got me look like......
Me too, I used to work for two of the co-owners of the Hawks (Peskowitz and Levinson), proof that stupid people can still make alot of money.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
Correct me if I am wrong (and I may be on this one), but while I do think Hamiliton improves the Bulls, I dont think he is all that efficient at creating his own shot anymore. Yes, he can pick and roll, and run off of screens all day, and yes, the Bulls needed more scoring...

But, part of the Bulls problem is/was that outside of Rose, no one else was really great at getting their own points without help from...well, Rose. I dont think Hamiliton addresses that problem, and the Bulls may still be a few points short...

Old 12-16-2011, 10:46 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Correct me if I am wrong (and I may be on this one), but while I do think Hamiliton improves the Bulls, I dont think he is all that efficient at creating his own shot anymore. Yes, he can pick and roll, and run off of screens all day, and yes, the Bulls needed more scoring...

The crux of his offensive game has always been running off screens, isn't it? I mean, he's kind of like the mid-range version of Reggie Miller in his prime....I've never seen him as a guy who was particularly adept at creating his own shot out of nothing, or creating for others ala Kobe, prime Tmac, Wade, Lebron, etc etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball