U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2011, 09:36 AM
JL JL started this thread
 
7,351 posts, read 11,880,681 times
Reputation: 7198

Advertisements

This kid has very good skills. He plays like a guard at times....check out the video.

Enigmatic 14-year-old 7-footer a top middle school talent - Prep Rally - High School*Blog - Yahoo! Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2011, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Syracuse, New York
3,114 posts, read 2,524,394 times
Reputation: 2276
Some GM of an NBA team may want to figure out which teams are going to suck in five or six years and start acquiring draft picks! Unreal!

Last edited by SyraBrian; 12-19-2011 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 10:09 AM
 
51,901 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Reputation: 32374
My prediction is the kid will eventually fizzle out with knee and other physical ailments and after having his butt kissed all his life will wind up uneducated and making $7 an hour at Subway until someone shoots him over a couple ounces of green he sells on the side to pay the bills.

Gotta love US sports culture.

Not to be a big downer about things...just sad looking at the state of education in the US and meanwhile highschool sports coaches make 6-figs while schools build entire stadiums for sports while most of their students are only qualified for a future of manual labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,182,426 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My prediction is the kid will eventually fizzle out with knee and other physical ailments and after having his butt kissed all his life will wind up uneducated and making $7 an hour at Subway until someone shoots him over a couple ounces of green he sells on the side to pay the bills.

Gotta love US sports culture.

Not to be a big downer about things...just sad looking at the state of education in the US and meanwhile highschool sports coaches make 6-figs while schools build entire stadiums for sports while most of their students are only qualified for a future of manual labor.
Nice to see how you're already writing off a 14 year old kid.
Also, I don't know about what high schools you are talking about but no one in my old high school is making 6 figures and their teams are always the tops in the county and usually go to the NY state finals.
The kid does have Sudanese blood like Manute Bol, so i wouldn't be surprised to see him top off around 7'4" or 7'6". Also like Bol he is very thin and considering his height they might want to put some weight on him now so he wont be so fragile later on. At that height they'd be better off turning him into a center than a forward. Especially considering the demands on a forward might be too much for his body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 AM
 
51,901 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Reputation: 32374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Nice to see how you're already writing off a 14 year old kid.
Also, I don't know about what high schools you are talking about but no one in my old high school is making 6 figures and their teams are always the tops in the county and usually go to the NY state finals.
The kid does have Sudanese blood like Manute Bol, so i wouldn't be surprised to see him top off around 7'4" or 7'6". Also like Bol he is very thin and considering his height they might want to put some weight on him now so he wont be so fragile later on. At that height they'd be better off turning him into a center than a forward. Especially considering the demands on a forward might be too much for his body.
I'm just mocking the fact that people are ogling some 14 year old kid because of basketball. Just seems our cultural values are out of whack in an era of economic troubles and people complaining about a lack of good paying jobs.

As demand for high school football coaches rise, salaries soar - Los Angeles Times

Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,266,872 times
Reputation: 7950
I like his touch on the jump hook and jumper. To me it's fun to watch a 7 footer who has a little creativity on offense. Nowadays it seems that so many 7 footers just play defense, rebound, and the occasional dunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Syracuse, New York
3,114 posts, read 2,524,394 times
Reputation: 2276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm just mocking the fact that people are ogling some 14 year old kid because of basketball. Just seems our cultural values are out of whack in an era of economic troubles and people complaining about a lack of good paying jobs.

As demand for high school football coaches rise, salaries soar - Los Angeles Times

Oh well.
Talent is talent. Folks started ogling Justin Bieber and Greyson Chance at the same age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
7,557 posts, read 11,892,589 times
Reputation: 4516
The video included a link to the top rated 6th grader in the nation. Where will it stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Under a bridge
2,423 posts, read 3,140,928 times
Reputation: 2486
The reincarnation of Manute Bol.

-Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 11:55 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,977 posts, read 29,644,313 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My prediction is the kid will eventually fizzle out with knee and other physical ailments and after having his butt kissed all his life will wind up uneducated and making $7 an hour at Subway until someone shoots him over a couple ounces of green he sells on the side to pay the bills.
Sadly, I agree. He's knees will give out before he graduates from high school. He's just too young to be that tall. There will definitely be some ailments to prevent him from playing at the college level. It would be great if he could, but I dont think he'll make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top