U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 11:57 AM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
The Lakers are still a top 5 team.

Kobe is still an elite scorer and is the healthiest he's been in a while (even with the injured finger).

Kobe/Gasol is still the best guard/big man duo, Gasol/Bynum being the best F/C combo. It has the potential to be even better with Dwight Howard (Jim Buss has already stated that he won't give up both Gasol and Bynum for Howard).

The bench is much deeper than last year. Metta World Peace has embraced his role off the bench and could win the Sixth Man of the Year Award if he continues playing the way he has. McRoberts and Barnes provide hustle and scrapiness. Murphy and Kapono can stretch the floor. Blake is playing with much more confidence under the new system.

Mike Brown's defensive-minded, in-your-face approach is a stark departure from Phil Jackson's coaching style.

Sorry, but the Lakers are still the Lakers. They will never suck.
Bynum plays about 2/3 to 1/2 a season each year...and that's been going on for 5 years.

LA isn't going to get Dwight anymore than we had to put up with unending claims for over 18months from Knicks fans that swore Lebron was going to go there and that Paul and Wade would join him and so forth.

We shall see, Lakers look to me to be a 2nd round playoff team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:37 PM

167 posts, read 233,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
LA isn't going to get Dwight anymore than we had to put up with unending claims for over 18months from Knicks fans that swore Lebron was going to go there and that Paul and Wade would join him and so forth.
That's assuming Orlando is willing to lose him for nothing.

If Bynum continues beasting the way he has been, then a Bynum for Howard swap (plus fillers and the first-round pick from Dallas) isn't far-fetched.

Quote:
We shall see, Lakers look to me to be a 2nd round playoff team.
Right now I have them losing to OKC in the WCF.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
That's assuming Orlando is willing to lose him for nothing.

If Bynum continues beasting the way he has been, then a Bynum for Howard swap (plus fillers and the first-round pick from Dallas) isn't far-fetched.

Right now I have them losing to OKC in the WCF.
Bynum has had some strong games...but that's Denver and Houston....and defenses are concentrating on Kobe and Pau so Bynum is often getting easy put-backs, rebounds etc. Life gets A LOT harder when you become the guy other teams are trying to stop instead of feasting off the double and triple teams.

I don't see the Lakers trading Bynum because I just don't think other teams will take the risk and thus not give fair value to his potential.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:04 PM

1,742 posts, read 5,000,580 times
If Bynum keeps it up and gets better than they will want to keep him. However if they get Howard, they might think about trading Bynum for a PG. Bynum, Howard, Gasol though would be absolutely crazy albeit expensive.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
If Bynum keeps it up and gets better than they will want to keep him. However if they get Howard, they might think about trading Bynum for a PG. Bynum, Howard, Gasol though would be absolutely crazy albeit expensive.
I honestly don't know what to make of the Lakers. I mean they were pretty much at full strength when they got blasted out of the playoffs last year so they seem a little schizophrenic to me at the moment.

So far this year they are 6-4 and haven't really had that hard of a schedule. Their next tough game is the clippers but that's like 4 games away.

Really hard to say.

Dallas is starting slow but have already played Miami and OKC x 2.

Also you have the off-season rust.

I still can't see a Bynum trade. I think they will move Gasol first based upon what they were dangling for CP3.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:26 PM

9,466 posts, read 12,309,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
For this year, I'd say the top 10 teams are:

1) Heat
2) Bulls
3) Dallas
4) Thunder
5) Celtics
6) Knicks
7) Magic
8) Clippers
9) Hawks
10) Lakers

I'm not even sure about the Lakers at this point. They did nothing to improve and may only be a 50-50 team this year. Denver or Spurs deserve the 10 spot more, but I can't count Kobe out.
1.Thunder
2.Bulls
3.Heat
4.Hawks
5.Celtics
6.Knicks
7.Magics
8.Clippers
9.Lakers
10. Dallas

Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
1.Thunder
2.Bulls
3.Heat
4.Hawks
5.Celtics
6.Knicks
7.Magics
8.Clippers
9.Lakers
10. Dallas
Celtics and Knicks 5 & 6? pass that pipe bro!
They might not be 5 & 6 in the east.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:29 PM

9,466 posts, read 12,309,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Celtics and Knicks 5 & 6? pass that pipe bro!
They might not be 5 & 6 in the east.
This is the C's last Hoorah so they going to come on like "gang busters" at the end of the season , and the Knicks are slowly Gel-ing together for the time being , and remember this is a 66 game season " my satellite high Bro"

Old 01-16-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
This is the C's last Hoorah so they going to come on like "gang busters" at the end of the season , and the Knicks are slowly Gel-ing together for the time being , and remember this is a 66 game season " my satellite high Bro"
If the Celtics were a dog, I'd be scheduling "the trip" to the vet.

The Knicks, although a vast improvement, have a few stars that are somewhat overated and have no depth and no defense. Coach D won't make it through the year at this rate.

The good news though is somebody in the east is going to probably make the playoffs with a losing record so hope springs eternal.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
Quote:
1.Thunder
2.Bulls
3.Heat
4.Hawks
5.Celtics
6.Knicks
7.Magics
8.Clippers
9.Lakers
10. Dallas
so you have the 4-8 (with the 7th easiest schedule to date) celtics at 5 and the 9-4 (with the 8th hardest sos to date) spurs not even on the list?

1. thunder
2. heat
3. bulls
4. spurs
5. lakers
6. clippers
7. hawks
8. magic
9. mavs
10. portland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball