U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2012, 01:16 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,750 posts, read 6,167,408 times
Reputation: 3601

Advertisements

I played my cousin in basketball the day after he played Kemba Walker and Brandon Jennings, if that counts...Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Long Island
74 posts, read 89,625 times
Reputation: 90
I ran track with "Invincible" Vince Papale of the Eagles, but more impressive was my son. Played against Kobe in pickup gaame in HS and snuffed him...twice. Kobe then proceeded to dunk on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 02:37 PM
 
530 posts, read 2,593,760 times
Reputation: 556
I went to Villanova University, which is in the suburbs of Philly. I graduated in 1990. Periodically we would play pick up ball at the gym on Saturday afternoons. One weekend my buddies went to play but I was feeling lazy and didn't go. Still kicking myself as Julius Erving showed up and joined them for some 3 on 3. I actually forgot about this and feel sick now remembering this happened!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,750 posts, read 6,167,408 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
I went to Villanova University, which is in the suburbs of Philly. I graduated in 1990. Periodically we would play pick up ball at the gym on Saturday afternoons. One weekend my buddies went to play but I was feeling lazy and didn't go. Still kicking myself as Julius Erving showed up and joined them for some 3 on 3. I actually forgot about this and feel sick now remembering this happened!
Sorry to hear that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Long Island
74 posts, read 89,625 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
I went to Villanova University, which is in the suburbs of Philly. I graduated in 1990. Periodically we would play pick up ball at the gym on Saturday afternoons. One weekend my buddies went to play but I was feeling lazy and didn't go. Still kicking myself as Julius Erving showed up and joined them for some 3 on 3. I actually forgot about this and feel sick now remembering this happened!
I am not sure that KiodeBlue's response was for the same reason, but too bad you went to Villanova LOL

Hawkwnd (Hawk will never die)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 02:05 PM
 
Location: WNC
1,492 posts, read 2,212,640 times
Reputation: 1325
Played against Rashad McCants in a summer tournament while I was in HS....it was his junior year at one of the HS's in my region, but for his senior year he transferred to some prep school. I had to guard him a few times and even though I'm short(5'7) when he would take a jump shot, I would be staring at his thighs. Funny story, and it just shows his selfish attitude, but while we were playing he just trots off the court to go to the bathroom. He left his team playing with 4 people for about a minute or so and then just trotted back on and started playing. I guess what was even more funny is that the refs didnt do anything about it.

Also, I had a class in college with Kevin Martin and IIRC, played one pickup game with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM
 
1,020 posts, read 2,828,968 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Played against Rashad McCants in a summer tournament while I was in HS....it was his junior year at one of the HS's in my region, but for his senior year he transferred to some prep school. I had to guard him a few times and even though I'm short(5'7) when he would take a jump shot, I would be staring at his thighs. Funny story, and it just shows his selfish attitude, but while we were playing he just trots off the court to go to the bathroom. He left his team playing with 4 people for about a minute or so and then just trotted back on and started playing. I guess what was even more funny is that the refs didnt do anything about it.

Also, I had a class in college with Kevin Martin and IIRC, played one pickup game with him.

was mccants killing everyone on the court or just not trying at all? I can imagine he would do that, even tho he is not even in the league right now, they will tear up regular joes any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 07:20 AM
 
530 posts, read 2,593,760 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwnd View Post
I am not sure that KiodeBlue's response was for the same reason, but too bad you went to Villanova LOL

Hawkwnd (Hawk will never die)
Ha, that was good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 AM
 
Location: WNC
1,492 posts, read 2,212,640 times
Reputation: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
was mccants killing everyone on the court or just not trying at all? I can imagine he would do that, even tho he is not even in the league right now, they will tear up regular joes any day.

I wouldnt say he was totally not trying, but you could tell he didnt care what happened in the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,784 posts, read 23,829,969 times
Reputation: 6195
I played some summer league basketball in the late 1960's and had a chance to guard Wali Jones, a point guard for the Sixers for about 10 minutes. Fortunately he was just working on setting up other guys, but I couldn't really stay on him very well.

In YMCA and summer league ball in Philly I've had a chance to play a little bit with and against some college players from the Philly schools who spent some time in the pros. As far as college players go, I've been on the court with Clarence Brookins, John Baum and Ollie Johnson from Temple University. I've also been on the court with Kenny Durrett from LaSalle. I've also briefly played against Chris Ford and Tom Ingelsby from Villanova. Finally, going to St Joe's and spending a lot of my spare time at the Field House I've had the opportunity to play a bit with and against Mike Bantom and Pat McFarland.

Again, these were only brief times when I was on the court, mostly in somewhat informal YMCA or summer league games in Philly. But I have had the chance to see how good these guys were up close (and why I never could even make it to the bench on a college program).

But it was fun and challenging trying to match up with these guys, when I got a brief opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top