U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,828,968 times

Advertisements

I know that in 05, that was the last year a high school player can go to the pros straight up, now its 1 year of college or 19 yrs of age.

If it was me, I would of went straight to the nba if i can, since i can take summer classes during the nba summer break, or i can go back to college after i cant play anymore.

case in point, brandon roy, he played for 5 seasons, and 4 seasons in college before his legs failed him. if he went straight to the nba, he would of had a 9 yr career, more money, and then go back to college and get his degree in 4 yrs and be 31 yrs of age. he could of went to the pros after high school, he was good enough.

I can understand the part where its a better transition from hs to college, then the pros, but if a player is drafted straight out of hs, he can still sit on the bench and get coaching or go to a college coach as ask to improve his game, while making millions per year. I saw robert swift (drafted out of hs) play at a community college with college players as practice every 2 weeks.

I think sebastain telfair made the right decision, had he went to college, his jumper would of been exposed and he might of spend 4 years, no money to help his family, and might of been in the second round or not even get drafted at all.

Last edited by civic94; 01-23-2012 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 06:37 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,210,783 times
well not everyone is "ready" physically, mentally or in their game at an early age. look at the kid that quit high school a couple years ago and went to china and could not even get off the bench in the CBA. he was expected the be a very early lottery pick once he entered the draft had he stayed in school but instead his stock was ruined and he dropped a lot this past draft. cant thing of his name off hand.

even some of the guys picked from high school that are playing could have benefited from college and with a select few, most will not go back to school or even care to. look at jr smith, kid has talent, right out of HS, and he is still one of the most immature players int he league. i will guarantee you he nevers studies another day after the draft in his life.

so telfairs jumper might have been exposed OR he would have had 4 years to refine it and learn more about the game, and maybe he gets off the bench and plays, thus earning more money then his low contract. now sure he might not have made the 15 mil he has made in the nba if he had a real job, but if he was good enough to get in out of high school, odds are he would have gotten in after a year of college.

also a lot of guys go to europe to play if they dont get drafted and still make a pretty nice check regardless of what schooling they have.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,949,772 times
Kentucky - the one and done school. This is where they go

Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 AM

52,095 posts, read 41,903,893 times
Depends on a lot of extraneous factors...but for the typical kid whether he is a senior in HS, Freshman in college or whatever.....if you can go in the 1st round, take the millions.

Even with a 3-4 year pro career you will make more money in that time than many doctors make over their entire career. You can then go back to school or work on your game in Europe and so forth.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:29 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,828,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Depends on a lot of extraneous factors...but for the typical kid whether he is a senior in HS, Freshman in college or whatever.....if you can go in the 1st round, take the millions.

Even with a 3-4 year pro career you will make more money in that time than many doctors make over their entire career. You can then go back to school or work on your game in Europe and so forth.

very true.. doctors start making money the earliest at their late 20's or early 30's, with tons of debt, then they have to pay malpractice insurance and other crap. if I was a HS senior that can get to the 1st round, I would take it because its a couple or few million per year guaranteed for a few yrs i think, that would be more than what a doctor makes in a lifetime.

I would not care if i was a bust, people can say whatever they want, while I laugh my way to the bank with millions .

If you guys looked at gerald green that was drafted out of high school to the 1st round, he is not in the league for years. Teams loved how he jumped, his length, etc. If he went to college, his basketball IQ would of been exposed and if lucky, get to the 2nd round without a guaranteed contract, then get waived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball