U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Team is Best?
Team A 1 10.00%
Team B 1 10.00%
Team C 0 0%
Team D 4 40.00%
Team E 4 40.00%
Team F 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 AM

51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times

Advertisements

Davy, the problem with your team is largely a lack of defense and inexperience.

Go take a good hard look at the Knicks with all that *talent* and they are really struggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 AM

10,424 posts, read 12,422,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
joe johnson is and always will be the mvp/leader of the hawks.
Josh Smith born and raised in Atlanta, the Hawks is the only NBA team he played for. He's much more of a vocal leader than Joe Johnson.
Joe Johnson has always been criticized for not being a good leader.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Davy, the problem with your team is largely a lack of defense and inexperience.

Go take a good hard look at the Knicks with all that *talent* and they are really struggling.
Like 75% of the Thunder, Nuggets, 76ers and Pacers players have not played 5+ years in the league.

OKC 14-3 (1st in WC)
DEN 12-5 (2nd in WC)
PHI 12-5 (3rd in EC)
IND 11-5 (6th in EC)

Roy Hibbert, Samuel Dalembert, Josh Smith, Eric Gordon, Jason Kidd, John Wall and Chris Paul are above average defenders!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:45 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Josh Smith born and raised in Atlanta, the Hawks is the only NBA team he played for. He's much more of a vocal leader than Joe Johnson.
Joe Johnson has always been criticized for not being a good leader.
by who? thats crazy talk. joe johnson has put the hawks back on the map to an extent, and there is no question (outside of davy) as to who the leader/mvp of the hawks really is. hell if horford wasnt hurt i would put him 2nd head of smith. smith isnt the leader, that is part of the reason the hawks have talked about shipping him out for the last 3 years.

if being from a city was any sort of factor, then devin brown, born and raised in san antonio, leading scorer in SA high school history, and leading scorer at UTSA would have instantly taken over for duncan when he joined the team a few years ago. instead, he is out of the league all together.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
by who? thats crazy talk. joe johnson has put the hawks back on the map to an extent, and there is no question (outside of davy) as to who the leader/mvp of the hawks really is. hell if horford wasnt hurt i would put him 2nd head of smith. smith isnt the leader, that is part of the reason the hawks have talked about shipping him out for the last 3 years.

if being from a city was any sort of factor, then devin brown, born and raised in san antonio, leading scorer in SA high school history, and leading scorer at UTSA would have instantly taken over for duncan when he joined the team a few years ago. instead, he is out of the league all together.
Joe Johnson, GET OUT! | Bleacher Report

The gap between Brown and Duncan is a lot bigger than the gap between Johnson and Smith.
You can't compare that.
Brown was undrafted, Duncan was 1st pick overall.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times
Guys I haven't been able to chime in much the past day, busy. Will make my vote soon....

Edit: Davy, it would be nice if you recast your vote for a team other than the one you constructed. You're the only person who has done this.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Quote:
Like 75% of the Thunder, Nuggets, 76ers and Pacers players have not played 5+ years in the league.

OKC 14-3 (1st in WC)
DEN 12-5 (2nd in WC)
PHI 12-5 (3rd in EC)
IND 11-5 (6th in EC)

Roy Hibbert, Samuel Dalembert, Josh Smith, Eric Gordon, Jason Kidd, John Wall and Chris Paul are above average defenders!
when the end of the season comes will those same teams be at the top of the heap or will the veteran teams prevail just like they have every year for who knows how long. when was the last time a team with less then 5 full on vets made it to the finals or even won a title? i cant think of one off hand.

for the record, eric gordon IS NOT a good defender, kidd WAS a good defender, wall IS NOT a good defender, and cp3 is NOT as good a defender as he is made out to be. the reason i say that, he is only good at steals, not even an on the ball steal, but a "sneak up from behind and slap the ball" steal. when he does get those steals it is not because he was defending well, it is because he gambled. gambling is not good defense. when has he ever locked an opposing PG down? never! i remember the playoffs in 2008 i think it was when the spurs played the hornets, paul could not even remotely slow parker down. the 2 of them went head to head and ended with pretty much a wash. parker is not a defender either. and paul was "the best PG in the league" that year. parker averaged 21ppg, 6 apg, 4 rpg and over 50% shooting. thats not a line of a player playing a good defender. now his defense isnt as bad as nash but he is not a good defender, he is a gambler

Old 01-25-2012, 11:36 AM

51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Quote:

OKC 14-3 (1st in WC)
DEN 12-5 (2nd in WC)
PHI 12-5 (3rd in EC)
IND 11-5 (6th in EC)

Let's try this another way.

1) How many ECF, WCF or finals trips has your starting 5 made? That's valuable experience to have. Kobe alone has probably played in more playoff games than your starting 5.

2) When I line up your team against team D if I were to have to pick between players I pick 4 off of Team D and the PG position is a toss-up.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Let's try this another way.

1) How many ECF, WCF or finals trips has your starting 5 made? That's valuable experience to have. Kobe alone has probably played in more playoff games than your starting 5.

2) When I line up your team against team D if I were to have to pick between players I pick 4 off of Team D and the PG position is a toss-up.

Player---Playoff Games---Seasons Played

TEAM A

Kidd---------142-------17
Odom---------102-------12
Anthony------49---------8
Millsap------44---------5
Smith--------41---------7
Paul---------23---------6
Dalembert----17---------9
Hibbert-------5---------3
Griffin-------0---------1
Cousins-------0---------1
Wall----------0----------1
Evans---------0---------2
Gordon--------0---------3

Total-------423--------75

----------------------------

TEAM C

Pierce------110--------13
Wade---------87---------8
Stoudemire---56---------9
Horford------39---------4
Butler-------31---------9
B.Gordon-----29---------7
Rose---------28---------3
Lowry--------13---------5
Gasol--------13---------3
Calderon-----11---------6
Okafor--------6---------7
Bogut---------5---------6
Gay-----------0---------5

Total-------428--------85

-----------------------------

TEAM F

Howard-------57---------7
Korver-------48---------8
Nene---------44---------9
Deng---------37---------7
Westbrook----23---------3
Randolph-----21--------10
Aldridge-----18---------5
Asik---------15---------1
Granger------11---------6
Ellis--------11---------6
Rubio---------0---------0
Curry---------0---------2
D.Lee---------0---------6

Total-------285--------70

Last edited by Davy-040; 01-25-2012 at 01:49 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 02:23 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times
Quote:
Player---Playoff Games---Seasons Played

TEAM A

Kidd---------142-------17
Odom---------102-------12
Anthony------49---------8
Millsap------44---------5
Smith--------41---------7
Paul---------23---------6
Dalembert----17---------9
Hibbert-------5---------3
Griffin-------0---------1
Cousins-------0---------1
Wall----------0----------1
Evans---------0---------2
Gordon--------0---------3

Total-------423--------75

A further analysis shows that 244 of those 423 games come from two individuals, Kidd and Odom. Only 5 players have ever made it to the second round( Kidd, Odom,Anthony,Paul, Smith) and 5 players haven't played a single playoff game. The 3 players who I'm assuming is doing the heavy lifting ( Anthony, Griffin,Paul) have counterparts on other teams who can match them, or if there is an advantage for Team A at a particular spot, isn't one big enough to swing the favor to A's side against other teams who have a better combination of star power, youth, experience, chemistry, and defense.

You were arguing earlier on about Griffin and his status amongst the game's power forwards. Gaudy numbers and gravity-defying dunks aside, he's not someone you can ride to victory at this stage in his career against other more experienced, star power forwards. The mental aspects of Basketball is something he has yet to master, at least at this level, and that negates any physical advantage he has. There really is nothing about Team A that cannot be counteracted or matched by the other squads. While you have a few good defenders, the sum of the team in totality is very weak defensively,and when matching up teams who can all score, having a strong defensive identity is key. This team does not have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or